[Mod Idea] TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine)

• I REALLY want to play with this! Where does this thing get the rails/stone brick tubing that is is leaving behind?

The way i've currently implemented it is as follows, there's a new block type called TBM Cargo which is basically a chest/container. You can place many of those on your vehicle.
    When you open a TBM Filler (or tracklayer) module it will show you the contents from ALL Cargo modules uniquely stacked. From there you can select which specific block or item you wish
    to place and the interval at which to do so.

• From what I have seen of this idea, I consider it very well done considering it looks it requires Iron Blocks to build plus whatever else is needed for the components.

I was thinking, would it be possible to hook a set of Obsidian pipes to this thing to vacuum up the mined blocks and place them into an on-board storage container?

What we could do is have a TBM Ejecter module (basically the exhaust for mined items) and allow the placement of a Cargo module right against it, this would store it automatically.
    Pipes might be possible but very hard to be on the vehicle while it's moving. It should be possible to lay them behind the machine though and still push items through it.

• Awesome!This way we could have an eye on how many blocks that really is connected!

How about remotecontroll? How is your FPS for a really large TBM? SMP?

I'll definitely add remote control support in a later version because while testing i often got lost inside a mountain having to break open my vehicle to get out :)

SMP support wont be on the first release however everything is designed to be easily SMP enabled.

FPS i'll need to check, on the demo videos you can see it runs smooth but that's for a 200+ blocks design. I suppose i should test it with a 1000+ multi story beast.

• Please make it compatible with alternative track types, such as the tracks found in the mod Railcraft. A spacing pattern would be nice, as well (aka place this track every X blocks with a GUI) so you could specify boosters.

It looks like you might already have that more or less implemented, but it doesn't look like it would "know" it could use it if you stuck a rail type in the cargo inventory that was of a type other than standard rails.

As it is right now, your code seems to be better implemented than Eloraam's Frames....

Have you considered writing extensions to the mod to allow other types of moving machines?

• I'll definitely add remote control support in a later version because while testing i often got lost inside a mountain having to break open my vehicle to get out :)

SMP support wont be on the first release however everything is designed to be easily SMP enabled.

FPS i'll need to check, on the demo videos you can see it runs smooth but that's for a 200+ blocks design. I suppose i should test it with a 1000+ multi story beast.

Sound great! Haha, to bad, wonder if this would be suffisient effective to mine ores? or will it be using so much coal that it won't?

Haha, I understand! Take your time and really ... dont rush!

Yeah, I was thinking about how a large one will do... Maybe for SMP improvements on FPS you could code so that you don't see a TBM if you are more than 50 blocks away? Because i think my FPS will drop if like 20 players run their TBM at the same time.

Another suggestion for SMP. If I build an TBM, maybe this one can only be controllable by me? And maybe you can make a block that blocks the TBM? I would get really mad if someone ran an TBM through my base...

Anyway, everything looks promising! Keep it up! :)

• Wow! Having seen the posts of late, and now the videos, I am VERY impressed! When I saw the initial post I thought this would be an overly ambitious pipe dream that would never actually see the light of day, but you've got a working prototype! The videos are amazing! How pleased I am to be proven wrong. I am very much looking forward to seeing what can be done with this - it looks like you've taken the best elements of BC's builder and filler and merged them with something like Eloraam's frames. You'll be giving the big dogs a run for their money with this - I cannot wait to try it and I look forward to seeing more about it.

BM Drillhead

I'd more recommend

:Intergrated Plating: :Refined Iron: :Intergrated Plating:
    :Refined Iron: :Industrial Diamond: :Refined Iron:
    if you want to use diamonds.

:Intergrated Plating::Refined Iron: :Intergrated Plating:
    :Refined Iron: :Mining Drill: :Refined Iron:

TBM Controller

No Circuits? I'd do something more like

:Intergrated Plating: :Advanced Circuit: :Intergrated Plating:
    :Electronic Circuit: :Advanced Machine: :Electronic Circuit:
    :Cable: :Cable: :Cable:

TBM Engine

Replace the Oven with a generator, and you will be good to go, IMO.

TBM Cargo

That seem fine.

TBM Ejecter

Record Players seem a bit expensive for this simple function. Possible something use, like mining pipe?

TBM Filler

Seems fine.

TBM Platform

Also fine, though I would replace all the iron in the recipies with refined iron.

• Also, I think this addon has TREMENDOUS potential. I can even see this becoming a full blown seperate mod someday! Several Million :Energy Crystal: , :Industrial Diamond: , :Nuke TNT: , etc. to you! :thumbup:

• A line of refined iron in the crafting table is used to create EV cables.

And I think you should reduce the amount of iron used because iron is already used in almost everything in IC2.

Iron is used by pretty much everything in the industrial age. It's called Industrial craft, not modern craft or stone craft. ;)

• Iron is used by pretty much everything in the industrial age. It's called Industrial craft, not modern craft or stone craft. ;)

Take it up a notch. Use Steel or Titanium, that's my vote. Or just jump it and take this to the GOLDEN AGE! MAKE IT ALL OUT OF GOLD!

• Really awsome mod you have there

I was just wondering if the block that lays down another block is compatible with blocks added by other mods? for example if you put one aimed at 1 block up and to the rear you could put your build craft pipes in that and have it lay the pipes on its way down.

• How about diagonal excavation? 1 move down and 1 move front for example, putting a rail track every down move. But then again minecraft its only 128 blocks tall...