Enchanting the mining drill

• Right, as the title says. Is it worth it, or does the continued recharging of the :Diamond Drill: remove the enchantment faster than I can plop it in the table?

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

• Right, as the title says. Is it worth it, or does the continued recharging of the :Diamond Drill: remove the enchantment faster than I can plop it in the table?

they aren't supposed to be enchantable right now and that's going to go away in the near future. (i'm thinking next version but I can't be certian)

I have enchanted drill and no, all enchantments remain after depleting and recharging it. Works like a charm. I'm mining fast to get as many diamonds as i can with it until next update removes enchantability of IC items.

• But again we might get Nano-Improvements instead of enchants^^.

Again the Mining-Drill seems reasonable to be enchantable (all other things basically too). Let's face the truth... why shouldn't a mage enchant modern tools or weapons if he did so with a sword or a pickaxe? The thing is most stories about mages are set in the middle-age. Shadowrun and some Steampunk, settings are an exception. But the reason for this is, that some technology back then looked like magic, so people believed in it actually.

So a mage would of course use his magic mainly like he did in the past. But he might use normal weapons too. With modern firearms and rocket-launchers throwing a fireball seems somehow pointless. But a mage could still shield himself or use magic to trick his enemies. And of course he would power up his equipment as much as possible using magic. So it is some kind of traditional thinking that magic and technology doesn't fit. But it also was some kind of tradition for women to stay at home and men to go to work... and we almost broke that.

Magic is not something that should be implemented in IC2, but if it exist's why not use it? While this seems strange for the amor, it is somehow important for the mining-drill in regards to balance. It might just lose to enchantable tools, because of enchantments that increase the amount of drops. Of course it doesn't break, but Fortune II is quite easy to get and provides 75% more Glowstone, Diamonds, Coal, Redstone and Lapis-Lazuli, which would mean that you won't use the drill on these blocks. You could mine 1562 Blocks with this pick and I would guess that about 1000 of them are coal, which would support you with about 3 new diamond-picks (1000 Blocks of coal would mean about 750 additional coal with fortune, and a pick uses 64 x 3 coal, so it would be enough for almost 4 picks).

So basically this means that you would never want to use the drill on blocks affected by fortune. For the sake of comfort it would be better to make the drill enchantable (it seems to work fine too). The other items aren't important at all. The Bronze-Tools should be enchantable and maybe the Composite Armor. Nano- and Quantum-Suit shouldn't and of course functional equipment like Jetpacks shoudn't be enchantable. The Chainsaw is somehow different... I guess enchanting it wouldn't make much sense (it's the same with an axe).

So basically I would like to have enchantable Mining-Drills and all Non-Electric Equipment (Composite/Bronze) to be enchantable. Of course it would be funny to use Fortune on a Treetap^^ (but I guess this would mean a lot of extra-work).

• But you don't need enchantments if they are going to replace it with some other way of improvement. I hope they are.

Well you still don't need it^^. I would like it, but saying I would like it, won't bring success. So I use some tricky math to show that it would be cool and some silly magican arguments why enchantments in an industrial world aren't out of place :P

Still it you could enable enchantments for the mining-drill until other sources are around. Enchanting the mining drill won't cause some balance havoc, it is more or less a nice bonus. You most likely need to craft some of them before you get the correct enchantment (well, at least if you go for fortune III, II is quite common).

• Official Post

The issue is enchantings being exclusively coded for "normal" tools. They can have quite unwanted and buggy effects on Complex stuff like electric-rechargeable tools, because we mess with damage values in a way not originally intended by Mojang.

• The issue is enchantings being exclusively coded for "normal" tools. They can have quite unwanted and buggy effects on Complex stuff like electric-rechargeable tools, because we mess with damage values in a way not originally intended by Mojang.

Does this mean that we shouldn't make enchanted drills? Is there some risk of crash in the future with these? If so, knowing so I can destroy them now would be useful.

• Does this mean that we shouldn't make enchanted drills? Is there some risk of crash in the future with these? If so, knowing so I can destroy them now would be useful.

I haven't run into issues yet. Fortune works quite good with the drill. I guess the only one that could make problems is unbreaking. Still I need to get the enchantment for testing. Crashes won't be a big problem, just destroy the drill, if you use a normal mining drill for testing the loss isn't that problematic if you have to destroy it. But just holding an enchanted mining-drill should not cause issues.

There could be problems with the powered armors. I don't know how the enchantments work but they could destroy the armor. Composite Armor and Bronze Stuff should work. I guess Rubber Boots should work too.

I guess if the enchanted tools would cause problems there would be reports about it. I can't even spot reports of weird behavior exspecially for the mining-drill (which should be one of the tools that will be enchanted most likely).

I already tested:

Nano-Sabre (works, but useless enchantments^^)
    Bronze-Armor and tools
    Mining-Drill

I don't have a Nano-Suit or Quantum-Suit and I haven't enchanted my batpack, but I will try this out. The above seem to work basically, but I haven't tested every enchantment. Nano-Sabre with Enchantments (well weapon-enchantments^^) would be vastly overpowered, but thats another story, inenchantability seems necessary for nano- and quantum-suit and for the sabre in regards to balance. The functional armor just isn't defensive so it doesn't seem good to give it defensive enchantments.

So if I come across any problems I will report them, but actually everything that I tried worked quite well. I need to empty my mining-drill and try again and I guess Unbreaking could make problems if you feed the mining-drill via Batpack, but haven't tested this.

EDIT: So tested Mining-Drill with Unbreaking I with and without batpack. No weird things, but I don't know if the enchantment works.

EDIT2: Destroyed 121 Blocks with the diamond-drill. Basically Unbreaking just isn't working, but it doesn't created crashes, the item just behaves as if there would be no enchantment.

• I gave myself enchantments on my stuff using a mod that lets you choose your enchants, and I put Fire Aspect II on my Nano-Saber (y'know, laser sword-katana thing) and Smite III on my Chainsaw (y'know, zombie killing stereotype). Actually, the Nano Saber burning enemies isn't a half bad idea (although it might need some work to avoid the wastelands of OP-ness. Or not. That might be a nice other perk of your high tech slasher, other than the QSuit pwnage)

• Maybe other 'enchantments' of a technical nature say 'upgrades' for reduced power consumption or higher power storage. If its the implementation that's an issue adding extra batteries, circuits or the like as item combines on an 'upgrade bench'. Or of course there's the options of extra GUI's with slots for 'upgrades' (like the miner).

• Maybe other 'enchantments' of a technical nature say 'upgrades' for reduced power consumption or higher power storage. If its the implementation that's an issue adding extra batteries, circuits or the like as item combines on an 'upgrade bench'. Or of course there's the options of extra GUI's with slots for 'upgrades' (like the miner).

I think something to this effect is in the works. I think someone suggested Nano-based upgrades, but what if the Dev's implemented something akin to the BC 3.0 circuitry table? You know the one that can make Redstone, Iron, Gold, and Diamond Chipsets when receiving power from Lasers? Just our's would allow for adding special functions to the regular and advanced circuits which can be integrated into existing tools to add "enchantments" or by way of meta-recipes allow to be crafted into new tools entirely.

Of course, such a 'table' would have to be powered in some way. Oh, and the circuits can only handle one "upgrade" at a time and (I really don't know if this is possible, but here it is) the circuit can only be added to an existing tool when the tool/armour is out of EU.

As for the functions themselves, I'll leave that to the community.

To sum it up: a powered "Upgrade Table" to allow for the attribution of regular/advanced circuits for specific upgrades to new or existing tools.

• I tried a little bit more on enchantments and Silk-Touch seems to be broken. I got it working 100% with Silk-Touch I... which is funny, but somehow... well no idea what I should do with all that coal-"ore" (technically there is no coal-ore^^).

• Place it on the ground and break it with a normal pick or drill?
    If you have Equivalent Exchange, there are smelting recipes for those kinds of ores.

• I know how I could process such "Ores", but it's kind of strange thing to build a pick/shovel, because your mining-drill won't provide coal... or flint and it definitly is an issue with enchantments on mining-drills. Actually the only enchantment on a mining-drill that actually works is Fortune. Efficiency seems to make no difference if the drill is powered, but speeds it up if unpowered. Unbreaking is useless and silk-touch broken.

• I got Fortune II on my Nano Saber (No idea how I got a tool enchantment on a sword), it seems to make the mobs drop more xp.

<edit>
    Hmm, on further investigation, it seems the nano saber is set tot he tools enchanting list rather than the sword one.