Question: Induction Furnace and BC wooden pipes

• this can be (changed\fixed) if you allow induction furnace pick stuff from chest directrly above it and dump result to chest on it's side.
    in this case pipes will be connected to chest (where all alots available) and still will work without any problems.

also this will allow fast transport without risk of overflow.

It would be great if you could do the same thing with macerators. Then you could set up a chain by just throwing raw ore into the macerators and get the finished product out of the furnace chest. :thumbup:

All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in
    the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the morning to find
    that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people,
    for they dream their dreams with open eyes, and make them come true.
    --T.E. Lawrence

• This would take all the fun out of the buildcraft mod. I'd prefer to leave it as it is.

Nah, you would still have to get the ore to macerators and take the ingots from the furnace. Besides there is much more to BC than getting ore from a macerator to a furnace.

All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in
    the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the morning to find
    that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people,
    for they dream their dreams with open eyes, and make them come true.
    --T.E. Lawrence

• I still think i got a good point (Sukasa idea). Both pipes from the bottom or top put the items in and both pipes from the sides extract the items.

That's how they work. Only problem is this: depending on their direction, they feed from slots 0, 1, 2. The Induction Furnace has 0 through 4, which leaves 2 unseen by the pipes, making it capable of only half power that the IF can deal with. The whole issue here is to possibly get the pipes to interact with the other two slots, making it more effective and simpler to use.

Edit: This is mostly extrapolation, from what I'm understanding from seeing Alblaka's post along with what I've seen first-hand with BuildCraft.

• Je, the issue is, Buildcraft pipes ALWAYS adress the slots 0, 1, 2.
    I could provide you the possibility to adress both inputs... but then you wouldn't have access to the outputs anymore > pointless. Same applies vice versa.
    The 1 input + fuel + 1 output is the only useful solution.

However, i already bugged SpaceToad about this and proposed implementation of a really simple Interface (API) for this purpouse. Shouldn't take him much effort, but would any modder give the ability to specify how pipes interact with his machines :3

This rocks! Thanks Alblaka!

• What I suggest you guys do in the mean time is use the allocator mod. Since allocators have a filter they will only pick up the items you want them to. So if you wanted to smelt some iron ingots out of iron dust what you would do is place a single ingot in the filter and you won't loose any dust out of the Induction furnace.

• I already implemented proper slot handling for the induction furnace + BC pipes.

Wha ... What is this sorcery?

WHALA WHALA WHALA! BURN THE CODE WIZARD!

On a related point, how DOES it work then? Does the twin slots share a number or what?

• Wha ... What is this sorcery?
    WHALA WHALA WHALA! BURN THE CODE WIZARD!

On a related point, how DOES it work then? Does the twin slots share a number or what?

You need to wait for the next release. Either after 1.8 porting is done or they decide to release a bug fix build.

• You need to wait for the next release. Either after 1.8 porting is done or they decide to release a bug fix build.

Just to bitch a bit, I didn't imply it was already in nor ask when it will be ^^

Hmm ... Wonder if the "ask for ETA = Ban" rule applies when bugging supplementary devs too ...

• Interestingly enough, I just finished up modifying BuildCraft to recognize the Induction Furnace, mostly just to see what was involved and if I could actually to it. So I give you the BuildCraft/IndustrialCraft cross-over...

Before you load this, BACK UP YOUR SAVE. Even though I have some general programming experience, I am a complete novice when it comes to Java and the Minecraft/IndustrialCraft/BuildCraft code bases. This was just a learning exercise. So proceed with caution.

Requirements:
    IndustrialCraft 1.00
    BuildCraft 2.1.1

Installation:
    - Add the two files to the mods folder, just like you would with buildcraft and delete the original core and transport files if you have them.

Theoretically, these files should be interchangeable with the originals, so if you want to go back, you just put the originals back in. But like I said, proceed with caution. Also I can't guarantee it will work if you don't use those specific versions because that's what I compiled against.

Changes:
    - Added Industrial Diamonds to the BuildCraft recipes.
    - Wooden Pipe now recognizes the Induction Furnace specifically. It will pull from the 2 output slots no matter the attached orientation and take from whichever output stack is greater.
    - All other pipes now deliver to the 2 input slots no matter which side they are attached to in the following way:
    1) If both slots are empty, it will split the incoming stack as evenly as it can across both slots.
    2) If one slot is empty and the other is not but contains the same type of item, it will fill the empty one up to match the other one, then split the remaining, if any, across both slots.
    3) If both slots have the same type of item, it will fill the lesser one first and then split the remaining, if any, evenly across both slots.

Also, i haven't played with engines, but I do know that without engines, the Induction Furnace will outstrip the wooden pipes ability to pull fast enough once the IF hits about 18% or so.

I also Included the patch of my changes to buildcraft

Have fun and remember, this was a learning experience for me. Mostly to see if I could actually do it. I figured someone else might enjoy it and decided to share what I did.

• Honestly, the bulk of my time was spent trying to get everything to compile cleanly. The changes were easy compared to that.
    Things you'll need:

Here's what I did as best as I can remember. First, set up MCP and put Nargon's patch where it needs to go. Then put your minecraft jar with IC2 where it needs to go and decompile it with the MCP's decompile script. It will throw a bunch of error's when it goes to recompile, but that's to be expected. Forge doesn't decompile cleanly, which is where the svn codebase snapshot comes in. It'll take a bit of slogging through compiler errors, but a couple of forge's files should come up with error messages, I think it was the Configuration and Property classes. Anyway, whichever files the decompile complains about, open up the original, copy the entire class without the package and import statements and paste it over the decompiled class without changing the import and package statements. This is important, because if you change the import and package declarations in the decompiled class, IC2 won't recompile because it will be looking for forge in a different place. My setup also complained about paulscode, which is the sound package. To get around that one, I took the whole paulscode directory from the minecraft jar and put it in the MCPs lib/ directory. Now, to get Buildcraft to compile as well was tricky too, because of the way its repository is structured. There are two directories you need to use, buildcraft_client and common. Dill down in each directory until you find the files. They should be in buildcraft_client/src/net/minecraft/src and common/net/minecraft/src respectively. First, copy everything in the common directory into MCP's src/minecraft/net/minecraft/src directory. Then copy, without overwriting what you just copied, everything in the buildcraft_client directory, essentially combining the two directories. The buildcraft source files have a different path for Forge, so you'll have to go into all the files and change the paths to use the decompiled forge. Mostly taking off the net.minecraft.src. from the import net.minecraft.src.forge.Configuration and import net.minecraft.src.forge.Property statements. Then, recompile, reobfuscate, and you should have a compiled source in MCP's reobf/minecraft dir. I then re-injected the recompiled files I changed into the original buildcraft zipped mod files.

If you want buildcraft to recognize your slots, there's an easier way than modifying buildcraft though. While digging through the code, I noticed that the pipes treat things that implement the ISpecialInventory interface in a special way. The interface includes two methods: addItem() and extractItem(). If you add that interface to your mod, you can then write whatever code you want in those two methods for handling items the buildcraft pipes extract and put into your container. You'll have to include an import statement to ISpecialInventory and have that file in your src/ directory though so you'll still have to add all the buildcraft source files in there. Well, maybe just the ones in the api directory.

• thanks fisty that patch works wonderfully. have you contacted spacetoad yet? might be able to get your edits made into a full blown IC2-BC compatibility mod hopefully getting it to work with IC2 addons like rotary macerator. i especially like your method of splitting stacks to get maximum usage of the double smelt. also could you extend the "any orientation input/output" edits to work with every other machine? i feel no need to ever put anything into the battery slot and this allows me to feed input from the side or bottom and catch overflow with obs pipes much easier then a top feed system.