Bukkit officially joins Mojang? Trouble or blessings on the horizon

• So I just read the bukkit team offically joined with Mojang and I am already wondering what the future has in store for IC^2 and MCF. I will admit that I do not know much about bukkit to begin with, other than it is a plugin platform for the minecraft servers. I do remember Jeb making comments that the API "could be" based off of Bukkit. How will this effect the SSP of minecraft if at all, and how will IC^2 adapt to any changes if bukkit becomes the official api?

• This will be very good so we will be able to use ic2 and all those server side plugins at the same time without having to use buggy ported versions

• Trouble, because bukkit is good in their execution, but their design, and planning sucks really bad. They are still better than Mojang. I have more faith in Spout server itself, but it would be nice if they were MineForge compatible.

• They are working with the Forge team, I think. Or in other words, Forge MIGHT become the official SSP API.

Ha... not to sidetrack, but that comment just screams out, "Fuck you, Better than Wolves".

Yeah, I'm kinda tired and crazy right now, so disregard that statement.

COMING !SOON: Melumpkins, the Addon!

• I feel it's good because it means Mojang is actively seeking to improve the environment for community-generated content aka mods. Bringing the bukkit team in house is a logical and expected move because they have done some great things for the SMP game. If Mojang are smart, they'll also invite a couple of the meta-developers like SpaceToad and Eloraam on board. Forge and the ore dictionary have become as fundamental to modding as the game itself.

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• I don't know how bukkit works but it seems to be good for mojang as mojang's server code is bugged/unoptimized. Forge will be also included if we force Jeb :D

• I'm sorry but why is this bad for us? Bukkit being the team in charge of the new server.jar shouldn't effect any Forge mod in any drastic way. The only real "change" is that Forge will have to rewrite its SMP/SSP core to support the new jar.

Right now the server.jar doesn't do anything towards protecting from griefing, managing permissions, or provide any kind of security functions or anti-hacking, something Bukkit has always provided. Integration of Bukkit into Mojang should be heralded as a blessing for everyone, whether you think they or Spout should've gotten in doesn't matter, the fact that SOMEONE is dedicated to eradicating these issues in the core server.jar on an official level is a boon regardless.

In every server I've run I've never had a bad experience with Bukkit, and I don't honestly have anything but the highest hopes for it. They literally cannot do worse than what Notch did with the base server.jar.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• I'm sorry but why is this bad for us? Bukkit being the team in charge of the new server.jar shouldn't effect any Forge mod in any drastic way. The only real "change" is that Forge will have to rewrite its SMP/SSP core to support the new jar.

Right now the server.jar doesn't do anything towards protecting from griefing, managing permissions, or provide any kind of security functions or anti-hacking, something Bukkit has always provided. Integration of Bukkit into Mojang should be heralded as a blessing for everyone, whether you think they or Spout should've gotten in doesn't matter, the fact that SOMEONE is dedicated to eradicating these issues in the core server.jar on an official level is a boon regardless.

In every server I've run I've never had a bad experience with Bukkit, and I don't honestly have anything but the highest hopes for it. They literally cannot do worse than what Notch did with the base server.jar.

Yeah, I agree with this. Bukkit was a layer of protection on top of the regular Minecraft sever jar, but now that the two levels are being combined into one, it ought to be easier to maintain a server.

• There are alot of good bukkit plugin's. In the end i think it will be beneficial for everyone. That being said they could try screwing over the other teams working on MC.. will have to see.

Ultimate_Omega : happen to know why my last post was deleted lol? you were last person to reply dunno if i missed something. XD

• Yeah, I agree with this. Bukkit was a layer of protection on top of the regular Minecraft sever jar, but now that the two levels are being combined into one, it ought to be easier to maintain a server.

An API is not about protecting your server. It is about providing a means for people to write things that can do things that can protect your server. In fact an API isn't supposed to be about a server at all.

That is what is concerning to me. Minecraft as a server application is crap. An API isn't going to fix that. But that seems to be what people think is going to happen and from what is on the mojang site they seem to think they are going to fix server and port it into the client but an API won't fix the issues that people complain about. It is just a tool that people can use to fix them.

The vision that was presented at Minecon was a screen in game that you could select addons and they would install and just work. Bukit has the infrastructure to make that happen but note is has nothing to to with stopping griefing.

APIs also can as limiting as they are enabling. I don't think things like the functionality block loaders need are going to be allowed in an API as it overrides core functionality that Mojang specifically put in.

I am very much on the fence if this is going to be a good thing or not.

• I will admit that I have never really messed with bukkit as all my mods are not bukkit supported (at least they were not back than, now BC and RP2 both have ports). I fully support a simpler system of deploying mods rather than the current system* that is in place now, but I really do feel for all the mod developers out there who will have to (in some cases) completely re-write the mod so it works in the new API. I foresee several mods collapsing under this. I also get the sense that bukkit is only going to work on servers unless there is a re-write of the code or possibly have a SSP API as well. The downside to that is players would be forced to choose SMP or SSP when considering mods and developers would have to write two sets of code if they are planning for the mod to be available on both sides.

*by current system in place I am referring to modloader, modloadermp, and forge to the jar file in precisely that order.

• I would really like this announcement, but after the Spout stunt Bukkit pulled I am kinda against having them in charge of "the" API for Minecraft. Designing a system completely and intentionally! incompatible to MCF and Modloader, even that bad that the plugin itself conflicts with Bukkit ported mods is just so egoistic. Why not design Spout as an addition to MCF? What is so bad on MCF? It allows dozens of mods to run beside each other, only comment they had back then was to nag mod authors to move to Spout, sure thing, rewrite everything from scratch after porting your mod to MCF already, great idea! Bukkit is one of the most awesome projects ever, but so is MCF, if Bukkit would just have used MCP, like every other mod creator instead of designing an incompatible decompiler which does the same it would have been so much easier. Well in the end it will work out, we will have Bukkit based servers with like 70% of the current MCF mods, the 30% of the mod devs will just ragequit over having to port again.

• Official Post

Long as something is done, it's good. So far, since hmod, bukkit has been the best thing for a server owner and I welcome it with open arms. As nice as forge is, it doesn't help the server owner very much and I see their reasoning for going with the bukkit team.

• Server protection comes down to one simple rule: Don't let retards on your server.

Any amount of software protection isn't going to be able to prevent retards from griefing and messing stuff up. You can minimise the damage, sure, but the above rule is the best policy above this.

The Bukkit team seem to have their own ideas on how they want the API to work and from what I've seen, anyone who disagrees with them is, in their mind, wrong and has no clue. If they take community input and feedback, it could go well but I can see this blocking a lot of creativity as well.

• Server protection comes down to one simple rule: Don't let retards on your server.

That's a great view, unfortunately it runs counter to the idea of having a public server.

it could go well but I can see this blocking a lot of creativity as well.

Need to keep in mind that Bukkit is part of Mojang now and as such will have to act professionally as I doubt Mojang proper will tolerate very much foolishness on their part. The Bukkit team essentially landed open-source DreamJobs and it's not too late for them to fuck it up.

...that said... Spout may as well pack it up and go home- Now that Bukkit is Mojang, the Bukkit way will prevail. (I thought about it a bit and I'm not so sure...)

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Hinder creativity? How? You do realize we've been making mods with ZERO support, any "official" support can only open new outlets, and if we don't agree with those outlets we continue doing it the old fashioned way, without official support.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Hinder creativity? How? You do realize we've been making mods with ZERO support, any "official" support can only open new outlets, and if we don't agree with those outlets we continue doing it the old fashioned way, without official support.

True as that maybe, it can come at a price. Y'all are focusing on solely the SMP aspects here, where as the announcement says that eventually Bukkit will be both SSP and SMP. My fear is that the bukkit team is going to do everything in their power to stop MCF from continuing and that will be the last time I update Minecraft. I love what the MCF team is doing with the API and it is amazing how far the mods connected to the API have come since its release. I remember when IC was just introducing teleportation lol.

I know how much I miss it right now as I am stuck on 1.2.3 and (shuddering when saying this) playing with BTW as nothing is really updated with, but the day that MCF, RP2, BC3, and IC^2 are fully up and running BTW is going to meet the recycling bin!