Release of Minecraft 1.2 is here, let waiting begin

• If you haven't noticed, minecraft 1.2 is here. This is the change log for it:

New jungle biome
    Added ocelots
    Added cats
    Added iron golems
    New AI for mobs
    Tame wolves can have puppies
    Villagers will have children if there is room in their village
    New map height limit ( 256 instead of 128 )
    New items and blocks
    Doors have been updated so that double-doors work better with redstone
    Added rare drops for mobs
    Many other minor tweaks and fixes

Looks pretty good, glad they've added everything in the changelog. Now how will this affect IC? Looks like a pretty clean update, aside from the new world format, which shouldn't affect us too bad. I'm defiantly looking forward to building massive structures up so high and flying around in a jetpack at extreme altitudes.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Official Post

2 main issues of 1.2:

-Golems can be turned into an infinite high-yield iron farm. Full inven in ~20 minutes, if set up properly.
    -New ID range makes us consider moving all out blocks to a new ID-set, effectly ruining old saves unless converted. Jeb said something about an official Map converter, probably need to check that one out.

• 2 main issues of 1.2:

-Golems can be turned into an infinite high-yield iron farm. Full inven in ~20 minutes, if set up properly.
    -New ID range makes us consider moving all out blocks to a new ID-set, effectly ruining old saves unless converted. Jeb said something about an official Map converter, probably need to check that one out.

Mind if I ask about the Golem farm part? I don't know much about the golems yet (can't view information on them at work).

I'm intending to implement new metal golems for each of my metals however, so I need to know how to avoid the infinite aspects of it. (and possibly manually edit the Iron ones to not have the infinite aspect)

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Mind if I ask about the Golem farm part? I don't know much about the golems yet (can't view information on them at work).

I'm intending to implement new metal golems for each of my metals however, so I need to know how to avoid the infinite aspects of it. (and possibly manually edit the Iron ones to not have the infinite aspect)

Basically it works out like this:
    A certain number of villagers will trigger the creation of a golem if they don't have one. So one crams a bunch of villagers into one block and then the golems spawn and get drowned/crushed/killed.
    Not a lot one can do about it without editing base classes.

• -New ID range makes us consider moving all out blocks to a new ID-set, effectly ruining old saves unless converted. Jeb said something about an official Map converter, probably need to check that one out.

Alblaka, here is he link to the mojang page. On it contains the official map converter that he has release open source. Could be worth looking into. http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/…necraft-map-format-anvil/

Just think of all the new blocks you will be able to add! Anyhow, I'm totally ok with waiting for a converter, as I'm excited to use 1.2 with IC.

BTW, I was curious how the version number is going to work. We are at 1.7, soon we will be at 1.8, then 1.9. What then? We move to 2.0?

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I would probably wait and see what happens with bug fixes in this version before really updating anything, seeing as with 1.2.2 (already!) there are lots of shadow problems and mobs don't die even in direct sunlight in most areas. That said, I have a pretty good seed that starts you off in a jungle biome that's near a snow, desert, and swamp biome if anyone wants me to post that one.

• Just think of all the new blocks you will be able to add! Anyhow, I'm totally ok with waiting for a converter, as I'm excited to use 1.2 with IC.

BTW, I was curious how the version number is going to work. We are at 1.7, soon we will be at 1.8, then 1.9. What then? We move to 2.0?

I've seen version numbers go from 1.9 to 1.10 before (under the logic that it's not a decimal) before. I'm not sure what the IC2 team will do, though.

And wasn't the block id cap (theoretically :rolleyes: ) raised to 4096, not 2048?

And wasn't the block id cap (theoretically :rolleyes: ) raised to 4096, not 2048?

I believe it was... actually...

As long as all the mods that used (or used to use if it becomes unnecessary to have any longer) Forge can port to this heightened ID version, then I'll embrace the change.. Although I still worry that port/decompiling/fixing the mods to be compatible to the next version may be months down the road, it's still good to know that Minecraft itself has finally created a platform necessary for actual mod support. Hopefully this will mean than the way we want to play Minecraft will SOLELY be up to the user, and that we'll have full freedom to explore our options to do so...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• It seems like they changed that Iron Golems drown, probably due to the insane amount of iron you could make using a drowning trap.

• 2 main issues of 1.2:

Taken from a discussion on minecraftforum.net I've been participating in

"

As I said in that thread, the golem's iron drop does not need to be
    removed, nor does it's vunerabillity to drowning. All that needs to be
    done is reduce it's drop rate so that the rate at which one collects
    iron from them is roughly similar to the rate one would get iron from
    mining ore. That would fix the problem entirely. Or as somebody in the
    other thread suggested, make it drop a new item 'iron filings' at the
    rate it currently drops iron bars, and make a new recepie for 9x iron
    filings = 1 iron bar. This would have a similar affect as nerfing the
    drop."

This would indeed change everything, and not giveing IC2 the trouble of changing to much.

Just makeing Iron Golems not drown is still just not enough. I can still construct an Iron Golem trap, and kill them with ex. pistons

I sincerly hope this does not delay IC2 for MC 1.2. too much, because there are so many other bug-fixes that I would love to have on my servers... plus new mobs, and the new biome, new hight..... etc. etc. etc.

/MG0

• There are several ways to kill Iron Golems and obtain their drop items. The following are the most effective ones:
    Suffocation by a sticky piston and a block. The killing can start instantly after spawning but it will clog up the trap, making other Golems unable to either spawn or die, depending on the design.
    By lava that won't touch the Golems' feet (since this is where the drops appear). This is the most damaging (and therefore the quickest) of the automated killing methods. An example picture of this method is shown to the right.

Iron Golems do not take fall damage :)