Suggestion: Late game substitute for solar-panels: Satellites.

• Official Post

Your satellite sending energy comsumption its absurdely low for the distance it theoritically have to cover to send that energy, Even teleporters consume a crapload of energy to send a naked steve over a short distance, imagine sending steve from Sea level to Space.

Its just not practical, logically speaking you will spend more energy sending it than making it.

Actually, satellites would use lasers or microwaves to send energy at earth. These have a different loss compared to teleportation.
    There is no AIR in space so there is no loss, when those microwaves reaches atmosphere they almost do not interact with air, water, O3 , CO2 ,etc

Transporting matter is much more expensive in energy costs than transporting the energy itself.
    Don't compare matter transportation with energy transportation.

• I think Alblaka's stance on this kind of suggestion would be "Nullum gratuitum prandium", there is no free lunch. Simply, a machine, no matter how expensive to build, will not provide a
    meaningful amount of energy without Work or Risk. So before anyone
    starts coding, consequences need be agreed upon.

* Solar only works when the sun is up - output is low
    * Wind needs you to climb very high and has a chance of exploding - output is low
    * Water needs to be widely spaced and risk of drowning to set up a lot of them - output is low
    * Generators need you to feed them which requires work
    * Geotherms have finite fuel and need you to collect it
    * Nuclear is resource hungry to build and has risks of explosion or low output

I think SimCity got it right. If you want to beam power from space, there's a risk that the satellite will be bumped by a micrometeorite and the beam will carve a great scar across the landscape. In MC terms, a ravine cut after initial chunk generation with various TNT effects at either end where the beam was shallow. I'd love to see this, though I'd be annoyed if my Fortress of Solitude happened to be in the path of the beam. I expect it would also be a bitch to code :)

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

• Official Post

Teleport Energy: Only possible with a Player, Lapotrons and a Teleporter. Why not a Teleporterchest, which was suggested by several people here. But that would only remove the Playerpart and only if you have other Mods like BC or RP.

A Powertransportlaser can be a good idea, if it works like a (Wireless) Cable that loses the same amount as the uninsulated Steelcable and can also carry up to EV. Oh and did i said that this laser is deadly and invisible. ;)

Now to the Solarpart: if Solar produces more Energy on higher layers (between 0.5 EU/t at Bedrock and 2.5 EU/t at Sky), then the most players want to use them at a very high layer, which reduces much of that damn SolarIteratingToSky lag. :thumbup:

With all that you can build Satellites yourself without "Magic" Blocks like a Satelliteenergyreceiver.

Edit: Dafuq happened. You have posted at the same Time as me but it displays 12:48 for you and 11:48 for me. But my post is after yours? Oh you're form Australia, that explains everything. :D

• Official Post

A receiver in RL wouldnt be as small as a block (1m²) but about 1Km diameter (1000 blocks) which are insanely big to build.
    And if alblaka wants to maintain space requirements a big rectenna does it , but the energy received is sent from only one block below it (in the center).
    the rectenna would be made of Machine blocks and use a space of 101x101 , with the middle block being the "magic" receiver.

• Official Post

A receiver in RL wouldnt be as small as a block (1m²) but about 1Km diameter (1000 blocks) which are insanely big to build.
    And if alblaka wants to maintain space requirements a big rectenna does it , but the energy received is sent from only one block below it (in the center).
    the rectenna would be made of Machine blocks and use a space of 101x101 , with the middle block being the "magic" receiver.

I meant a receiver for small EV Transfer, but yes, for a thing like a Satellite you would need at least a 31x31m² receiver (per Satellite), which is still pretty large. Oh and you can still see the whole thing without switching the Rendering to Normal or Far.

I hate those magic blocks like the BC-Stuff nearby as much as i hate Equivalent Encheat.

• A receiver in RL wouldnt be as small as a block (1m²) but about 1Km diameter (1000 blocks) which are insanely big to build.

It either works as a whole or it doesnt work, if the middle block its the only "Magic" Receiver then 2 things are possible:

A) The surrounding blocks would very well be a placebo, since the only one with a use is the middle one.
    B) You can cover the whole antenna but as long as the "Magic" receiver has a view of the sky nothing else matters.

Now to the Solarpart: if Solar produces more Energy on higher layers (between 0.5 EU/t at Bedrock and 2.5 EU/t at Sky), then the most players want to use them at a very high layer, which reduces much of that damn SolarIteratingToSky lag. :thumbup:

I remember alblaka saying in the solar array suggestion post, that particular funtion call its not resource intensive at all. The problem is with the interaction between the solar panels and the Enet.

• Official Post

It either works as a whole or it doesnt work, if the middle block its the only "Magic" Receiver then 2 things are possible:

A) The surrounding blocks would very well be a placebo, since the only one with a use is the middle one.
    B) You can cover the whole antenna but as long as the "Magic" receiver has a view of the sky nothing else matters.

The "magic" receiver is the different part where cable is connected.
    A : The receiver by itself is nearly useless, it would need the adjacent blocks to work well. [each adjacent block increases "energy transfer effectiveness"]
    B: make a requirement the antenna be at maximum height (256)

I meant a receiver for small EV Transfer, but yes, for a thing like a Satellite you would need at least a 31x31m² receiver (per Satellite), which is still pretty large. Oh and you can still see the whole thing without switching the Rendering to Normal or Far.

I hate those magic blocks like the BC-Stuff nearby as much as i hate Equivalent Encheat.

31x31m² per satellite is a good receiver.
    I agree with you about EqEx.
    You are talking about quarries,builder,filler from BuildCraft?

• Official Post

I remember alblaka saying in the solar array suggestion post, that particular funtion call its not resource intensive at all. The problem is with the interaction between the solar panels and the Enet.

Really? Then all that lag didn't came from that. Then why the nether are these Solarpanels even causing lag if there is NO cable!

• I meant a receiver for small EV Transfer, but yes, for a thing like a Satellite you would need at least a 31x31m² receiver (per Satellite), which is still pretty large. Oh and you can still see the whole thing without switching the Rendering to Normal or Far.

I'm insulted by that. You still have to use the same resources, heck MORE to build, counting the oil and crafting the filler.

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!

• I'm insulted by that. You still have to use the same resources, heck MORE to build, counting the oil and crafting the filler.

The whole "Magic" block thing its retarded and i agree with him, Only building a single block that does the rest of the work for you its far from interesting and stupid concept when its clear minecraft could handle far more complex and better stuff (Complex enough to not make it too easy, but easy enough so people that cant bother thinking for themselves can handle it).

• While the idea seems fairly interesting, this wouldn't be much different from the idea of having a single array block that transfers the energy to the grid that is attached to a lot more blocks that do the work, as was suggested as a possible solution by Al in another thread. As such, I think he would opt for the simpler solution of a main panel that transmits the energy and several attachment panels that collect it, rather than having to build something similar as well as add in all the stuff required to launch something into space.

• Official Post

While the idea seems fairly interesting, this wouldn't be much different from the idea of having a single array block that transfers the energy to the grid that is attached to a lot more blocks that do the work, as was suggested as a possible solution by Al in another thread. As such, I think he would opt for the simpler solution of a main panel that transmits the energy and several attachment panels that collect it, rather than having to build something similar as well as add in all the stuff required to launch something into space.

But i wan't the ability to redirect energy to different receivers, using an item, or the CPU block alblaka was planning
    so you wouldnt need to make new solars, just new antennas

• I wouldn't mind seeing a single, receiver block, for this... But:

1. It's accepting a frigging laser. Everything within a 10 block radius will go up in flames.
    2. It's accepting a frigging laser. Instant death to anything alive, undead, or has flesh in any way shape or form.
    3. It has to have a laser. See above.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Official Post

I wouldn't mind seeing a single, receiver block, for this... But:

1. It's accepting a frigging laser. Everything within a 10 block radius will go up in flames.
    2. It's accepting a frigging laser. Instant death to anything alive, undead, or has flesh in any way shape or form.
    3. It has to have a laser. See above.

if it is a concentrated laser, it doesnt.
    And using microwaves to transfer energy is more energy efficient, but requires a antenna (a big one)

The good thing of antennas is that i could redirect my energy production to power an outpost. or help a friend

• and not only would it be beneficial for people that play IC2 on multiplayer, it would also give us survival players a new goal to reach :D
    I mean, at one point when playing a world, reactors become a piece of cake to create

• and not only would it be beneficial for people that play IC2 on multiplayer, it would also give us survival players a new goal to reach :D
    I mean, at one point when playing a world, reactors become a piece of cake to create

if u have an reactor, upgrade to 2...3...4...5... CASUC all of them :P goodluck

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I think that this has a better chance in being apart of the Rocket Science add-on than main IC2... in which case, I do hope to see microwave based energy and weaponry in the game...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.