Minecraft updated to 1.2.4, will v1.81 still work if I install it?

• Not asking for an update release or anything, but I was just about to upgrade my client and server to 1.2.3 to play the latest IndustrialCraft.
    But now if I update my client I will end up with MC 1.2.4 instead.

I wonder, is IC² v1.81 expected to work for 1.2.4 or will we simply have to wait for some IC² compatibility update?

• Official Post

I would need about 5 minutes to make a copy of my current minecraft folder, then redownload minecraft, mod the jar with the 1.2.3 mods and try running it.
    Dunno how long it would have taken you, but for sure much less long then asking here and waiting for hours ^^

FYI, i'm not even going to bother trying to update to 1.2.3, given i'm exclusively working on my MCP currently. Which takes about one hour to re-setup. Probably going back to actually playing minecraft somewhen later.

• I would need about 5 minutes to make a copy of my current minecraft folder, then redownload minecraft, mod the jar with the 1.2.3 mods and try running it.
    Dunno how long it would have taken you, but for sure much less long then asking here and waiting for hours ^^

FYI, i'm not even going to bother trying to update to 1.2.3, given i'm exclusively working on my MCP currently. Which takes about one hour to re-setup. Probably going back to actually playing minecraft somewhen later.

Yeah sorry for asking. I've been at work all day so I haven't been able to check it out for myself until now. I guess I couldn't contain my curiosity, that's why I asked.
    I guess I need to find a source for Minecraft 1.2.3 then.

EDIT:
    I found an easy reliable 1.2.4>1.2.3 downgrader. Problem solved.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/…ew__findpost__p__13692046

• and this quick update from jeb should remind you.. allways make backups ;)

or keep separate folders for everything. I don't even use the %AppData% default location.

right now i've got 4 installs
    Vanilla (almost never used)
    SMP mods version (whee... *glares at buildcraft*)
    SSP version (again with the buildcraft glare)
    and a test version I use for... testing! (gee! imagine that!)

the SMP and SSP installs get shuffled about between the desktop and laptop frequently.

• Considering they still haven't fixed the 4096 items issues or added anything interesting (I don't play SMP...I suppose the fixes are interesting for SMP players) it really doesn't seem like there is any point updating.
    I woudln't blame every modmaker for sitting this one out since you know next week you will just need to update everything all over again.

• Eh, I think this will be the end of the official updates until 1.3

Some of the bug fixes needed to happen for SMP, I don't know of any others that are problematic. So I'm guessing from here out they just start with the weekly 1.3 snapshots.

And that should be a month or 2 out, possibly more. Time enough to get a MCbukkit coded.

• That really isn't what is going on here. He couldn't make a backup if he never updated... so who was that comment reffering to? :huh:

Sharks with lasers. All the way.

Do you mean 1.2.4? Because 1.2.4 added a few in my oppinion nice things like different coloured planks and has quite a few bug changed which at least I have been waiting for a long time. And I saw that forge has just been updated to 1.2.4 today...

I am actually looking every day hoping that IC² is finally on 1.2.4. I am sure 1.3 will take quite some time anyway since Jeb is planning to add the API in this update.

Well hopefully you will take a bit to update it ;(

• I am actually looking every day hoping that IC² is finally on 1.2.4. I am sure 1.3 will take quite some time anyway since Jeb is planning to add the API in this update.

Not exactly. Jeb may be doing the oversight but the 4 members of the bukkit team's going to be doing the server overhaul for 1.3

• Okay, I didn't hear it this way, but I just believe you :D

Still, I am wondering i IC² will be updated for it or not...

I would not count on it, 1.2.4 only include stupid stuff like the decorative sandstone and a few bugfixes, nothing worth of note to bother updating to it (Yet)

• Some bug fixes I find quite important, like the SMP TNT ghosts (I quite often have to reconnect to get rid of them), or sometimes the shift key doesn't work and I keep falling off while building something and die.

And I have been waiting for getting differently coloured wooden planks for a long time :P and now that I am playing with IC² I can't use them for my house...

Yes except for that I don't care too much about the other fixes and additions but those are (at least for me) quite important.

• TNT ghosts were greatly reduced but are still there, Dinnerbone has acknowledged that and they will be fully fixed in the next version. Also RIP block transmuter, RIP signs being edited wiping when receiving redstone on SMP.

Good news is that sources inform that there will be no 1.2.5.

• Since the question has been somewhat dodged and not really answered, I would like to re-ask it: is there an update planned for 1.2.4, or are we stuck at 1.2.3?

It's not much of an update, but the unavailability of the earlier server jars presents an annoyance if you happened to miss the window to download it. MLMP has recently been updated to 1.2.4. I can't imagine there are too many wrenches porting from 1.2.3->1.2.4. Still, would be good to know if it's planned or not so people don't keep asking. Then again, there's no news on Buildcraft or Redpower being updated, either.