The one and only [OFFICIAL] Technic discussion thread.

• WARNING THE SPOILER IS A TROLL SPOILER!!!

• And remember, any mod for the "mods" directory have NO Mojang code in them, with applies to Redpower 2, IC2, ThaumCraft 2, BuildCraft (and a long time ago better then wolves mod LOL) :whistling:

The developers of those mods are still familiar with Minecraft, so their work is "contaminated". In order to claim ownership of the copyright, they must prove "independent invention". The only way I know of to accomplish this is with the clean room design pattern, which involves a "contaminated" reverse engineer generating detailed specifications, a highly qualified copyright lawyer inspecting and approving the specifications, and finally an "uncontaminated" software developer to write the code. This most likely means that the only people who can write mods for Minecraft and claim copyright are people who have never played Minecraft before.

Thus, mod writers are, from a purely legal perspective, infringing Mojang's copyright. Fortunately, Mojang seems to be turning a blind eye towards mods for now, so nobody is going to get sued (phew!). However, Notch has stated he has mixed feelings about mods as they currently are, which is why Mojang is working on providing an API for mods to use. MOST LIKELY, once the API has been provided Mojang will start cracking down on mods which infringe their copyright! This means Forge (and all Forge related mods) are going to die, unless the API can provide the same functionality.

Anyways, even though I was introduced to Minecraft mods via Technic, I was disappointed to learn that they did not get permission to redistribute the mods. I follow direwolf's installation instructions now.

• WtF are you talking about?

just ignore him he has copyright mixed up with patents no mod is getting sued as long as they don't redistribute mojang's code

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Official Post

...Mojang will start cracking down on mods which infringe their copyright! This means Forge...

Uhhm you know, that Mojang is talking to the Forgedevs, to make sure that the API is containing all BASICALLY needed Stuff, so that Forge just has to edit less Basefiles but it still has to modify ones (the Chunkloadforgehook for example). And Mojang would not do good on cracking down Forge, because it would cause a giant Shitstorm.

• mojang couldn't sue if they wanted to for the same reason we have rom patches and homebrew console games those reverse engineering rules apply to patents and bypassing drm neither of which apply to modding minecraft.

as for the topic of this thread I am now of the opinion that we don't need to know who uses Technic and therefore at least the social norm should be DON'T MENTION TECHNIC(kinda like don't ask don't tell but less controversial)

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• I quite like tekkit and technic, It's really easy to use and a great way to get into running a modded server.
    I started running a little tekkit server for some friends months back but after I heard about the whole forestry thing...
    I was rather upset, I was under the impression that anyone making a widely distributed modpack would at least have the common decency to ask permission.

After poking around the back end of tekkit I noticed some rather stupid mistakes (mismatching item IDs and GUI IDs mostly) and essentially fuck it, I like forestry so I made my own modpack thingy for just my friends. (in the process I've seen more adfly pages than anyone should be comfortable with)

Also on the subject of EE, I quite like that mod simply because it keeps people from digging up the entire server looking for ores. Had to disable a couple items though, especially the watch of flowing time, any CASUC reactor will blow up if anyone uses that thing. (messes up redpower items)

In short, I like tekkit because of it's ease of use, hate it because of it's bugginess and dickishness. Good way to get into modded gameplay\server maintenance.

• A pretty unknown case of corruption by the Technic team was the payment of 50 BUCKS to ChickenBones for inclusion of his mod.

So technic put a price on ChikenBones work?

lulz

And what happened after that?

• Thats bribery. Sometimes I think Technic might have hit the lowest low. Then the community throws them as shovel. Next time I walk by that pit, remind me to attach a lit stick of industrial dynamite to the shovel.

• Official Post

In the process I've seen more adf.ly pages than anyone should be comfortable with

Did you know that, if you use the middle Mousebutton/wheel to click a Link, it will automatically open a new Tab? Well, its very helpfull, when you have to download the full Version of Redpower.

A pretty unknown case of corruption by the Technic team was the payment of 50 BUCKS to ChickenBones for inclusion of his mod.

Only 50$? In his position i would've taken 100€ for that!

• Did you know that, if you use the middle Mousebutton/wheel to click a Link, it will automatically open a new Tab?

In my experience, it knows when multiple tabs are open, so pauses their countdown timer.

What's really helpful is a browser plugin that bypasses the countdown altogether. ;)

• I like tekkit :)

All the conspiracy theory/ assumption based outrage/ and bandwagoning is kind of a downer though. I've counted quite a few things people are getting upset about that aren't even true. Take a step back guys. None of the modders or the technic team require an army. There's not even a battle anymore. Everyone would be of a lot more use building amazing things and playing everyones mods rather then wasting their time.

I like technic because of how much potential it has. Anyone can make a mod pack, but now Tecnic is a whole community and infrastructure. Like a mini Steam for mods. It exposes peoples awesome mods to more then a million people and counting, and ends up attracting more talented and cool modders to the scene. My personal facourite part is that It makes it really easy to run really large modded servers. There are tekkit servers with more then a hundred people on because its so easy to connect. Before it was mosly small servers because only people with the knowledge to put all the mods together could get on them. And don't start on that "if they cant do it themselves they don't deserve to" line, its a childrens game for gods sakes. Loosen up and have fun, and let others have fun too.

Every time you donate to a modder, you have more positive effect and do more good then a lifetime of worthless forums debate.

• And don't start on that "if they cant do it themselves they don't deserve to" line, its a childrens game for gods sakes. Loosen up and have fun, and let others have fun too.

The way that I see it, if they can't do it themselves (as in take 5 minutes to watch videos that explain it on youtube or god forbid ask somebody knowledgeable like GregoriusT how to install a mod) then yes, why should they deserve to use it?

Every time you donate to a modder, you have more positive effect and do more good then a lifetime of worthless forums debate.

While this is true, are people from The Clusterfuck That Shall Not Be Named (I'm going to abbreviate that from now on) really donating to the modders? I'm pretty certain I remember someone saying that they knew a C.T.S.N.B.N. user that didn't even know what mod diamond pipes belonged to, is he going to send any money buildcraft's way? Probably not. The main problem I have with T.C.T.S.N.B.N is not really the copyright issues (I will not be discussing the legal grey area here), it's the overall ignorance of the mods, I would go so far as to say that 70-90% of its users don't know what it is like to work their way up from scratch going from vanila to tier 1 to tier 2 all the way up to mfsu and mass fab for IC2 stuff, or created systems of redpower mechanisms, why should they when they can just EE up everything?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• The way that I see it, if they can't do it themselves (as in take 5 minutes to watch videos that explain it on youtube or god forbid ask somebody knowledgeable like GregoriusT how to install a mod) then yes, why should they deserve to use it?

Why see it that way? It's fairly unresonable and serves no real good. People see technic or tekkit and they want to play all those amazing mods together, but it gets trickier and trickier with each additional mod you want. Sure throwing in one mod is no big deal, but a dozen or more? A large (probably) majority of these people are children, who can't even get Java working properly on their computers. It's expecting too much of them. I don't blame them for wanting help and I see no real reason not to give it to them other then senslessly punishing them for not being as intelligent or computer savvy as us.

While this is true, are people from The Clusterfuck That Shall Not Be Named (I'm going to abbreviate that from now on) really donating to the modders? I'm pretty certain I remember someone saying that they knew a C.T.S.N.B.N. user that didn't even know what mod diamond pipes belonged to, is he going to send any money buildcraft's way? Probably not. The main problem I have with T.C.T.S.N.B.N is not really the copyright issues (I will not be discussing the legal grey area here), it's the overall ignorance of the mods, I would go so far as to say that 70-90% of its users don't know what it is like to work their way up from scratch going from vanila to tier 1 to tier 2 all the way up to mfsu and mass fab for IC2 stuff, or created systems of redpower mechanisms, why should they when they can just EE up everything?

The problem here is your expectations. That person who doesn't know they're using build craft isn't Technics fault. Would you get mad at Steam if someone said "I sure am enjoying all these games I bought on the steam summer sale, thanks steam for making them!" or "I wish I knew who made them!". No, you'd call the person an idiot for thinking that or for not just looking to see. Like steam, technic isn't just a pack anymore, it is now a platform dedicated to helping peoples excellent work reach as many end users as possible. Technic doesn't create oblivious people. When a million extra people wander in, they just come along in the crowd. Not something that can be helped. I hate making comparisons because they're never perfect, but steam is a somewhat similar situation just on a larger scale and with product and money involed. Techinic is of course far less serious.)
    Take a look at the technic site right now. It's beautiful and makes every possible effort to direct people to the modders responsible for the work and to help people understand who's responsible for what. Links to MCforms posts, websites, wikies, help sections, it's all there. There's even a big donate page linking directly to each modder with a paypal. If you make the effort to hand someone a dictonary, you can't be blamed if they don't know what a word you told them means. There are just going to be oblivious people who wont make the effort to educate themselves. They wouldn't have made the effort to get all the mods working together on their own, and they probably wouldn't have donated to anyone either. At least they're enjoying mods, which should be the goal of a modding community at the end of the day. I wouldn't say those people are anywhere close to the majoirty, and so very far from made up on the spot numbers like 70%-90%. At least with all the community building for technic, with the forums and site and server sections, theres a chance those people will learn about the mods they're using by playing with others. It's just a thing that takes time. Technic, is just one of the many ways the modding community becomes more popular and gets bigger and stronger. Growing pains are to be expected. It was a rockey drama fest, but things honestly seem to have found their groove.

• How did a Technic Forum moderator even get an account on the IC2 forums?

Because even if I 'would' hate technic, I still wouldn't be as blatantly immature to simply ban all people involved with it? ~ Alblaka

Edit: Sorry, it was late last night, brain was not available to read over my own post.
    I just figured that the the general wave of dislike would make them never want to come here.
    You are right that would be very immature, that would be coming down to there level.
    Just like typing SirSengir on the Technic Forums automatically puts down a rude name, which I shall not repeat.

• Why see it that way? It's fairly unresonable and serves no real good. People see technic or tekkit and they want to play all those amazing mods together, but it gets trickier and trickier with each additional mod you want. Sure throwing in one mod is no big deal, but a dozen or more? A large (probably) majority of these people are children, who can't even get Java working properly on their computers. It's expecting too much of them. I don't blame them for wanting help and I see no real reason not to give it to them other then senslessly punishing them for not being as intelligent or computer savvy as us.

Well shit, I can't argue with that

The problem here is your expectations. That person who doesn't know they're using build craft isn't Technics fault. Would you get mad at Steam if someone said "I sure am enjoying all these games I bought on the steam summer sale, thanks steam for making them!" or "I wish I knew who made them!". No, you'd call the person an idiot for thinking that or for not just looking to see. Like steam, technic isn't just a pack anymore, it is now a platform dedicated to helping peoples excellent work reach as many end users as possible. Technic doesn't create oblivious people. When a million extra people wander in, they just come along in the crowd. Not something that can be helped. I hate making comparisons because they're never perfect, but steam is a somewhat similar situation just on a larger scale and with product and money involed. Techinic is of course far less serious.)
    Take a look at the technic site right now. It's beautiful and makes every possible effort to direct people to the modders responsible for the work and to help people understand who's responsible for what. Links to MCforms posts, websites, wikies, help sections, it's all there. There's even a big donate page linking directly to each modder with a paypal. If you make the effort to hand someone a dictonary, you can't be blamed if they don't know what a word you told them means. There are just going to be oblivious people who wont make the effort to educate themselves. They wouldn't have made the effort to get all the mods working together on their own, and they probably wouldn't have donated to anyone either. At least they're enjoying mods, which should be the goal of a modding community at the end of the day. I wouldn't say those people are anywhere close to the majoirty, and so very far from made up on the spot numbers like 70%-90%. At least with all the community building for technic, with the forums and site and server sections, theres a chance those people will learn about the mods they're using by playing with others. It's just a thing that takes time. Technic, is just one of the many ways the modding community becomes more popular and gets bigger and stronger. Growing pains are to be expected.

I... damn, my 70-90% bluff got called, I don't use Technic based on the whole stigma it has received from the copyright issues/Sengir stuff so those numbers were rough estimates based on things posted by people here

The one thing I see wrong with Technic right now though is the fact that assuming SirSengir was truthful, he claims that forestry downloads went up either by about 200% or to 200% following his forceful removal from Technic, do you believe that the downloads were from people using the pack (unikely given your claim that most people turn to Technic as a result of lack of ability to install mods) or from the publicity generated from the incident that is technically (no pun intended) attributed to the pack? If it is the latter, doesn't that mean that Sengir got more recognition in leaving than he did while his mod was put in the pack?

It was a rockey drama fest, but things honestly seem to have found their groove.

The drama is kind of still going on as evidenced by the whole 4+ threads devoted to just this

How did a Technic Forum moderator even get an account on the IC2 forums?

I'm assuming the same way anyone else would

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l