SMP Suggestion - Phones

• Have you ever been in this situation, I want to talk to my friend in SMP but dont want to voice it to the world.

Well in this suggestion I think would be the answer, a quote on quote phone. Very simply it should let you communicate with your friends easily. It could even run off the /msg command.

For a recipe I would recommend it had a:
    Diamond, Frequency Transmittor, RE Battery

• nah, servers already have a lot of workload and imagine you add a VoIP service to the workload.
    that would be really heavy for the server (imagine half of the players having a phone)

PS: isnt skype more useful for that?

• nah, servers already have a lot of workload and imagine you add a VoIP service to the workload.
    that would be really heavy for the server (imagine half of the players having a phone)

PS: isnt skype more useful for that?

He never said anything about being VoIP. More like a private channel that only two people can read the messages.

• Yeah all it is, is a private 2 player chat. Servers already have /msg but how annoying is it having to do /msg (name) then the message every time. Especially if its a long name. ;) plus not everyone has/ wants skype.

Btw like your signature. So true

• Private chat would be awesome. I was toying with an idea to combine something like this with a bukkit mod that only allows chat inside of a certain radius, but ultimately abandoned any hope of it due to the unfortunate lack of coding skills. It would prevent newbs from filling up the chat, and would allow you to effectively PM other players, but requiring tech. Because whats more fun than advanced tech that nobody else has? It would also enable chat interception, if it was kept in text form.

• Or just use Vent, Steam Chat, or Team Speak...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Or just use Vent, Steam Chat, or Team Speak...

You could however isn't it soo much easier to do it in game rather than tabbing out and in to speak. Teamspeak doesn't have that problem with voice chat but does everyone have a headset? Some of my friends don't.

And another awesome signature :0

• Things like the frequency transmittor and the fact that this would make it an even awesomer mod. Just a suggestion. If you can suggest a more suited mods forum to post this on I'd be welcome to put it on and discontinue this one? :)

PS the problem with computercraft and SMP is I can't just copy and paste a text file into a folder. I'd have to copy it all out and I'm not sure how long a program like that would be.

• +1,

i see how this would benefit an smp server, even have an recipe in mind.
    6 circs 3 cables.

:Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre:

:Electronic Circuit: :Electronic Circuit: :Electronic Circuit:

:Electronic Circuit: :Electronic Circuit: :Electronic Circuit:

where :Glass Fibre: are gold cables.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• This... Would lag a server horribly.
    Imagine 10 people on server, each person having a phone to every other user...
    Also ,how would you handle multiple phones?

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Just use /msg and then /r, which the majority of servers have.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• some people have a prefer mice over key boards so if this was used for a "clicky" way to send a message i thing it could find a foot hold

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• I'm not imagining some massive chats software just a item which uses commands to do things easier. Of course you may need to be admin but I just think it would be soo much easier and I wouldn't think it would be too server intensive.

• Official Post

Why are you all thinking that it causes Serverlag?!?! Theres already a command for messaging only one person, even if its only usable by OP's. What's so laggy about that?

Nobody ever said something about VoIP but you are arguing with that, WHY?!?!

It's simply a device where you choose another Phone and send text messages with it, maybe a Mobile variant of that to rightclick it in the Hotbar and then send Text, or also a choosable Frequency for it so we can send private messages to only the group of people who are using the same Frequency for theirs (so enemys could also "hear" you, if they now your Frequency).

The only question is, if thats IC² or a new separate Mod.

• Useable by everyone^

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Official Post

The only question is, if thats IC² or a new separate Mod.

Cell phones are IC², and it may need to recharge, since it uses energy to keep stand by (receiving messages) and talking to someone (sending messages)

• Seems like a good plan. +1

1. OMG CREEPER RUN AWAY!
    2. Go away, you creeper wierdo!
    3. What ever, I'll just go around.
    4. Hup, over their heads I go!
    5. Okay Mister living grenade, I'm going to knock you into those skeletons, and I'll follow through with a nano saber. Understood? FOR THE ALMIGHTLY DRAGON LORD!