miner question regarding power.

• the problem seems to be, that, i've found the miner uses more power than any portable-ish type of generation can supply, basically the full 32EU that it's LV system can run on, but feeding that kind of power at some distances is pretty difficult, and making something portable can be complicated to try and get it to run smoothly.
    the best thing i've found so far is using a geothermal next to the miner, and it runs pretty inefficiently, but it gets the job done, eventually. miner setup.

if there's a better way to have a potable miner, i'd appreciate finding out what that may be. ideally something i can place down a few blocks with, plug in the drill and scanner, and let it do it's thing while i do something else.

also, collecting lava cells can be a pain sometimes, when i accidentally fall in every once in a while ;)

• Official Post

If you have the Chargingbench installed, then you can Discharge 3 Lapotrons at once (dont forget LV and MV-Transformers), to get 4 miners running with Coppercable.

Also this Quesion should be moved to the Industrial-Engineering-Section.

• i saw that, and i'm tempted to get it, but i meant for what's already built into IC², there must uh, be some way that's intended for people to run a miner with reasonable efficiency further than the same chunk as your main power array. (in assuming you don't have a couple septillion diamonds to use up on placing wires all over the place on the map and using world anchors everywhere.)

also, using a charging table, a MV and LV transformer, then a miner, is uh, not exactly compact. that's a lot of blocks, plus the items to carry, which IIRC, don't stack.

Also this Quesion should be moved to the Industrial-Engineering-Section.

hm, this seemed like an appropriate section.

• Official Post

also, using a charging table, a MV and LV transformer, then a miner, is uh, not exactly compact. that's a lot of blocks, plus the items to carry, which IIRC, don't stack.

But you carry amazing FOUR Miners at once with that Strategy.

4x1 :Mining Drill:
    4x1 :OD Scanner:
    4 :Miner:
    24 :Cable:
    1 :LV-Transformer:
    1 :LV-Transformer: (Missing MVT-Image)
    1 Chargingbench
    3x1 Fully charged Lapotron
    8 Chests
    4 pumps
    4x64 Cells (Or 1x64 Tiningots)
    4x64 Miningpipes

= 23 or 26 Inventoryslots
    + 9 For Defaulttools
    = 1 Slot Left in worst case :D

Or just mount four Miners to a Redpower-Frame-Construction and update the Wires (because of a Bug) after every Move.

• i like all these complication mods that adds lots of machines and such you can use, but this miner is to be very mobile and compact, those three blocks works pretty well now, the geothermal provides sufficient power, and the single chest never even gets close to being full. the only problem is there is a lot of wasted energy because the feed isn't enough to run the miner steadily.

is there any method that doesn't include something as over complicated as frames? :p frames are cool but, meh. all that crap isn't exactly portable. and if i were to use frames, the system would need to be massive due to i don't need 15719386395 cobblestone, i want/need the semi-rare and rare resources underground. so it would need to cover a lot of area, and... heh.
    the grid system that the miner is being moved on is also underground, and building frames underground.... oof.

anyways, yeah, i imagine there is a way to setup the power system to be something portable, but also can supply the miner properly.

• *clicks on Arcane Bore*

Wait, there was a Miner in IndustrialCraft?

*clicks Redpower Motor forward*

Edit: Although the Transformers Add-on helps extend the range of how far you can mine greatly via a combination of it and Teleport pipes...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• heh, this. I do mining with the arcane bore anymore. More efficient and it grabs any crystals. Haven't gotten frames involved yet though. Can't quite get an inchworm drive figured out. (ideally i'd like a self-contained mining sled that can inch itself along)

• Can't you enable using lapotrons in miners?

but, that would be circumventing the point of having stuff in Industrial Craft. that's like using an aimbot in an FPS because you're too lazy to move your mouse.

Can't quite get an inchworm drive figured out.

make a box of frames, with a two-thick floor. have drive motors facing down and up in the bottom and top floors - or 3 thick and motors in the middle if you want it to look clean - and have a computer or fancy wiring timers to drill forwards, push the top part containing most of the hardware forward, then bring the bottom foot forward.
    and have drills or mining objects, w/e on each face which is intended to be a direction that's minable to.
    repeat sequence until you're so far away from your base you can't find your way back :p

if you plan on having the machine be able to mine up and down, you'll need an enclosed inchworm system, rather than on the bottom, but much to the same design.

Using a simple Setup with HV across Iron Cables. Sufficient for the first 100-200 blocks radius, afterwards I'll be moving to EV.
    Miners aren't trivially meant to run on portable energy sources.

ah, well. i'll try doing something similar to that. though i'l probably have substations in places to make it easier to use cheaper wires for such extreme distances.

• My standard setup is a Geo-gen when I'm starting out. I'll use 2 if my initial excursions give me a lava surplus quickly. Two will happily keep the miner running full out.

When the resources start coming in properly, I tend to switch to MFE/MFSU and crystals for energy transporting. It's a fairly significant initial cost, but makes life easier, and you don't go through tin quite as quickly.

• When the resources start coming in properly, I tend to switch to MFE/MFSU and crystals for energy transporting. It's a fairly significant initial cost, but makes life easier, and you don't go through tin quite as quickly.

This. I use 4 miners, 2 LV transformers, 1 MV transformer, 1 MFSU and 3 lapotrons. Hook it all up with glass fibre cable (yes, it's overkill, but you only have to make the cable once and it saves you from having to carry multiple types of cable around) and off you go. In practice (with Redpower generating silver, nikolite and tungsten in addition to IC2 and vanilla ores), I usually need about 2.5 lapotrons worth of energy - fill the MFSU with all 3 lapotrons at the start, then take two home and leave the third in the MFSU. Charge the two at home and refill the third with whatever energy's left in the MFSU when the miners have finished.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• we have this on our server makes mining much more portable
    :Miner:

I'd like it if you could apply transformator upgrades to them to enable that, or something like that.

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• I'd like it if you could apply transformator upgrades to them to enable that, or something like that.

Its a little exspenceive but i usually use Lap packs if its not enabled.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Its a little exspenceive but i usually use Lap packs if its not enabled.

You can use Lappacks as energy source for miners? Or how did you mean that?

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD