[Question] Parallel v. series

• In IC2 is there much of a difference wiring storage in parallel over series?

Parallel:

Series:

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Yes.

The setup in your top pic can accept & output 2048 EU/t total over glass fiber cable, while the bottom is limited to 512 EU/t.

Edit: actually, the bottom can accept more, also (in 512 EU packets), up until the first MFSU is full, then it's limited to 512 EU/t input. Output is always limited to 512.

• Yes.

The setup in your top pic can accept & output 2048 EU/t total over glass fiber cable, while the bottom is limited to 512 EU/t.

Alright, in what situation would i use the parallel? unless i'm pumping it into a mass fab wouldn't i be wasting a lot of power?

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• I guess always use parallel if possible.

Seems reasonable, I'll play with it a little.

Alblaka says:

• I think a mass fab is probably the only thing where you'd need that much output, but if you have a big CASUC reactor, you may need to be able to handle 2048+ input, also.

I usually spec power rooms with 4 series ranks of MFSUs wired in parallel.

You can think about it like this:
    - series: increases capacity
    - parallel: increases throughput

• You can think about it like this:

Highly realistic if you've studied up on any electric work... It's funny because I've always looked at setups like this, and never really thought into them with that much 'worry' about this issue, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• It's funny how this sort of thing works out, isn't it?

I have study up on a little bit of electrical work over the years but you have to remember, this is minecraft not real life, that's why I asked.

Alblaka says:

• I think a mass fab is probably the only thing where you'd need that much output, but if you have a big CASUC reactor, you may need to be able to handle 2048+ input, also.

I usually spec power rooms with 4 series ranks of MFSUs wired in parallel.

You can think about it like this:

How would MFSUs in series increase the capacity over a parallel configuration? You've got the same number of storage units wired up and since it's packet based, the current sinks on the other side will only draw what's needed.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Official Post

How would MFSUs in series increase the capacity over a parallel configuration? You've got the same number of storage units wired up and since it's packet based, the current sinks on the other side will only draw what's needed.

He means that its ONLY increasing capaticity, while parallel ALSO increases the maximum Output.

• He means that its ONLY increasing capaticity, while parallel ALSO increases the maximum Output.

Yea i picked up what he meant, thanks for the clarification though :)

Alblaka says:

• IRL, parallel=slower release, more time, series=faster release, less time, but in IC2, parallel just means higher output rate and series means longer distance traveled.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• As to where this is useful, I ran into the max output limit on MFSUs when I first had buildcraft and IC2 installed, but hadn't discovered logistics pipes. I had each ore type being filtered by diamond pipes with a separate macerator and induction furnace for each line. Once I installed the full upgrade setup, I ran into serious issues with max output on my MFSU. I know, horribly inefficient, but it was my first factory.

• Official Post

Parallel: Higher output (assuming everything is charged) and (if wired correctly) equal charge spread across multiple MFSUs.
    Series: Less cabling/space ned, sequential chargeup.

But hey, TOWERS of MFSU stacked into each other just look THAT much more awesome then parallel ones :3

• Parallel: Higher output (assuming everything is charged) and (if wired correctly) equal charge spread across multiple MFSUs.
    Series: Less cabling/space ned, sequential chargeup.

But hey, TOWERS of MFSU stacked into each other just look THAT much more awesome then parallel ones :3

Dual towers? Quad towers? They look (THAT^2) more awesome than a single line. I think something like this would look cool:
    Note: point the MFSUs DOWN, not UP (otherwise they will feed energy in a loop, causing lag issues).

The MFSUs are arranged in four towers around a central glass fiber cable running up in the middle, the cable in the middle supplies them with power and ones hidden under the roof run to all your machines.