I saw that there were some jokes about lightning rods and all that, but in an attempt to add a slight bit of realism to this mod i propose this idea:
Lightning and Storm Properties
- Rain and Thunderstorms are more frequent
- Code so lightning strikes more often during thunderstorms
- The lightning will be drawn to objects in this order: lightning rod/lightning lines, Metal objects, Higher up objects, water, random other stuff
- The lightning will generate EU when it strikes any IC2 item. (Amount of EU generated is debatable but possibly 2048 or something much higher)
- If the lightning strikes a power cable/line then it would overload it with the EU and destroy any machines connected that cannot take that much current
- When raining, if an exposed line is on the ground (as in not insulated) then the line can short either losing EU, Completely draining it and any MSFU/other things that are on the line (at max line current if not more), or charging the water and thus shocking anyone that goes in it with the full current of the line.
Lightning Rod/Lightning Lines
- Very cheap to make the lines (possibly 3 iron ingots turns into 3-6 Lightning Lines)
- The lightning lines have VERY VERY bad EU loss based on distance. (100+ per block)
- The lightning lines have multiple levels of insulation just like HV wires
- Lightning lines must be insulated when near any other current carrying blocks/machines else the current could leak and overload them
- Lightning rods are also relatively cheap to make (or possibly more expensive ones that are more effective or something)
- Lightning rods draw lightning to themselves and feed it into Lightning Lines or a surge protector
Surge Protectors and other devices
- 4 models of surge protectors: 1 time use (any EU current), HV current, EV current, and Lightning current
- Converter that can extract 1 tick of EV current from a Lightning Rod/Lightning Line (multiple converters can be connected to each draw that current)
- Converters VERY expensive and only work for 1 tick worth per lightning strike.
- Power lines maybe? idk?
I'm a programmer myself (although Java is not my main language) and would be more than happy to help out on this project, but i thought i would come to you as i have not really made much of anything on minecraft and would like to have your aid in implementing something into your existing mod.
Questions/Feedback/etc is appreciated as if this isnt added to IC2 ill probably still end up creating something without the EU and IC2 implements for general use in a standalone mod.