Weather/Lightning and Implementation

• I saw that there were some jokes about lightning rods and all that, but in an attempt to add a slight bit of realism to this mod i propose this idea:

Lightning and Storm Properties
    - Rain and Thunderstorms are more frequent
    - Code so lightning strikes more often during thunderstorms
    - The lightning will be drawn to objects in this order: lightning rod/lightning lines, Metal objects, Higher up objects, water, random other stuff
    - The lightning will generate EU when it strikes any IC2 item. (Amount of EU generated is debatable but possibly 2048 or something much higher)
    - If the lightning strikes a power cable/line then it would overload it with the EU and destroy any machines connected that cannot take that much current
    - When raining, if an exposed line is on the ground (as in not insulated) then the line can short either losing EU, Completely draining it and any MSFU/other things that are on the line (at max line current if not more), or charging the water and thus shocking anyone that goes in it with the full current of the line.

Lightning Rod/Lightning Lines
    - Very cheap to make the lines (possibly 3 iron ingots turns into 3-6 Lightning Lines)
    - The lightning lines have VERY VERY bad EU loss based on distance. (100+ per block)
    - The lightning lines have multiple levels of insulation just like HV wires
    - Lightning lines must be insulated when near any other current carrying blocks/machines else the current could leak and overload them
    - Lightning rods are also relatively cheap to make (or possibly more expensive ones that are more effective or something)
    - Lightning rods draw lightning to themselves and feed it into Lightning Lines or a surge protector

Surge Protectors and other devices
    - 4 models of surge protectors: 1 time use (any EU current), HV current, EV current, and Lightning current
    - Converter that can extract 1 tick of EV current from a Lightning Rod/Lightning Line (multiple converters can be connected to each draw that current)
    - Converters VERY expensive and only work for 1 tick worth per lightning strike.

Other thoughts?
    - Power lines maybe? idk?

I'm a programmer myself (although Java is not my main language) and would be more than happy to help out on this project, but i thought i would come to you as i have not really made much of anything on minecraft and would like to have your aid in implementing something into your existing mod.

Questions/Feedback/etc is appreciated as if this isnt added to IC2 ill probably still end up creating something without the EU and IC2 implements for general use in a standalone mod.

• *ALARMS SOUND*
    INCOMING!!!!!
    *People running around frantically*

*Ban hammer strikes ground destroying thread and banning all within a 30 mile radius*

LBS: Just... no dude...

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Hey fenixR, love the fight club refrence, *Added to IC2 quotes section*

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• the lightning rod suggestion has hounded alblaka since the introduction of weather in minecraft. alblaka decided to reject the idea long ago and is well aware of this concept so he also doesn't need any help hashing out the idea should he change his mind. this suggestion has reached the level of BANNABLE offence because despite all the times it has been rejected someone always brings it up thinking they were the first ones to think of it the ban hammer is the only way for first time posters to take this policy seriously.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Quoted it in case OP deletes his post.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• oh good catch i hate it when they run

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• Not going to run. Simply said, its something ill work on whether its part of IC2 or not. I would like to have it be connectable with IC2 but if its something that no one will ever do then fine, dont do it. Ban me if thats what the punishment is for wanting to connect it to IC2. Never said it was an original idea either, just that its something i wanted to have done. So flame all you want. Haters gonna hate

• making your own mod or addon is a different story and i wish you the best of luck. but like you said haters gonna hate, and we have a reputation of burning lightning rod suggestions at the stake to up hold after all. but if you wind up succeeding I would probably install it (nothing says mad scientist like lightning)

• Yeah i understand the whole killing everyone saying "OMG WE WANT LIGHTNINGROD!" but i just want to know exactly what i would need from the IC2 source to actually implement it myself, or ideally the support from the IC2 staff in actually making some of the features (the rest of which i would do myself). Im not here begging for a new mod, just a map through the source so i dont have to waste a few extra hours tracing it myself.

• well i can't help with that i'm just a fanboy but good luck

• Yes, if you want to make this yourself, you probably should have PMed the DragonLord so you don't have idiots like us hurling nukes at you...

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• OP you are a funny man. Everyone else, look at Al's status. Sorry to ruin the party but honestly...

I wonder how many cells I can put into my reactor before it ex... BOOOM!
    :Uranium Ingot: + MinecraftCreeper dust+ my friends base= fun

• No i did read it. I just don't really care what or who he is eating. Probably should have just sent the private message and avoided all you flammers but oh well. I must thank you all for the bumps and making this thread so popular though. You all really work against your own cause. Yes 1000 people proposing lightning rods would be annoying and pointless, but 100000 people flamming each thread is even more so.

• No i did read it. I just don't really care what or who he is eating. Probably should have just sent the private message and avoided all you flammers but oh well. I must thank you all for the bumps and making this thread so popular though. You all really work against your own cause. Yes 1000 people proposing lightning rods would be annoying and pointless, but 100000 people flamming each thread is even more so.

I don't mind if you make this, but trying to say how much we fail and/or indirectly insulting us is something that I greatly dislike. Also, don't think you have a higher intelligence than us, because you don't even know us in real life. (Which is what matters, not Minecraft)

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• *ignore 23423423424 posts about nuke this guy*

I like this idea, and I would use this Add-On.

And with the right texturepack some epic bases may came out of this.

• Well Nanomanz if i really wanted to insult everyone i would and because this is the internet you couldnt do anything about it. Never did i say i was smarter than anyone else either. Your the one who by using the word "we" in the context of "trying to say how much we fail and/or indirectly insulting us" means that you are willingly putting yourself in the group of "people who flame each thread on the topic." So how about you go start a fight somewhere else and try not to destroy your argument on the first post. But again, thanks for the free bump