Suggestion: Ice and snow as external reactor cooling

• If water can cool reactors externally, why not ice and snow? (and any other cold blocks I might've missed)

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

• Probably because they would melt.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Just because a feature would make them better in some biomes than others doesn't mean it's OPed. After all, Solar Panels have diminished effectiveness when it rains, so it's obviously a good idea to build them in Deserts where it doesn't rain. Building a nuclear reactor under the snow could easily be a similar process.

• That's why SNOW would be OP. Ice wouldn't be interesting, simply, because it already works IN your reactor.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• That's why SNOW would be OP. Ice wouldn't be interesting, simply, because it already works IN your reactor.

I don't see how valid that argument is, seeing as you can amass tons of snow in any biome via a simple application of EU + Pump + Compressor... I mean, come on, it's just snow. Just add in a hook to cause the snow to evaporate into water after X amount of total produced heat from the reactor...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• How does it make it not interesting?
    I mean, you already surround your reactor with water and put water in the reactor, what's wrong with surrounding it with ice and putting ice in it?

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

• snow might be less effective than ice and water (air pockets= insulation)

and eternal cooling works by convection(flowing water or air) ice on the other hand is solid and doesn't flow

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Alternative idea:
    Heat generation depending on biome (snow biome 90% of heat - desert biome 110% of heat).

Dear Lord,
    please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.

• Alternative idea:
    Heat generation depending on biome (snow biome 90% of heat - desert biome 110% of heat).

New idea? Make a new thread.

Back to OP, i could see snow being a causac coolant but not as an external coolant, if you do your research lava doesn't add heat it just subtracts from air or water that provides cooling.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• New idea? Make a new thread.

Back to OP, i could see snow being a causac coolant but not as an external coolant, if you do your research lava doesn't add heat it just subtracts from air or water that provides cooling.

Lava does add heat, whether you add it directly or surround the reactor with it...

Battery snot included.

• I like the idea of using ice/snow blocks for cooling, though they would melt extremely quickly. You'd have to use RP2 to quickly place them back :D

• I like the idea of using ice/snow blocks for cooling, though they would melt extremely quickly. You'd have to use RP2 to quickly place them back :D

I think that's kinda the point...

Ice could absorb reactor heat up to a certain threshold. The more ice you have connected to each other around the reactor, the more total heat that the ice (or snow) can absorb (This would be due to rules regarding thermal conduction between surfaces of different static temperatures. Over time, the heat spreads, and uniforms to the entirety of the unit in question). Of course, this would probably only help for the first 1000 degrees of heat or so, and then the ice would quickly melt into water. Then, traditional mechanics with water and heat absorption would resume...

Basically, the Ice would act as a temperature buffer against an active reactor's heat, and thus add more cooling to counteract the reactor's initial startup cycle. This could perhapes allow for more reactor cycles before needing an immediate application of coolant right on the spot.

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.