Wow, Technic monetization

• yeah i'm done playing Switzerland if you want all to flame each other go right ahead
    FenixR vs. Neowulf showdown of the century :D
    *grabs popcorn*

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Magus has twice now used examples of physical theft and grevious bodily harm to describe the actions of the technic team.
    Both those actions carry much greater social consequences than minor copyright infringement, especially since the matter has been settled by all relevant parties.

His actions seek to sway the opinion of readers by misinforming them of the legal and social impact of the deeds done.

He has also downplayed the mitigation efforts of the technic team as "not enough" and has done it in a way that suggests a giant blinking 40pt font or automatic redirection of any visitor of the technic site to a random mod author's page wouldn't even begin to be enough.
    Every action to make amends is declared "not enough", creating a moving goal the technic people can never achieve and therefor that have already failed by his opinion.

He argues not to persuade or come to a compromise, but only to insult and repeat misinformation.

He's not even that good at it. I deal with politicians, magus might make city council some day but only if the other guy doesn't keep his mistress in check.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

• Ya know what? I'm sorry everyone. I'm truly sorry. I let myself get sucked into an argument with a someone who will twist and ignore reality to support their beliefs.
    I should have done some research into Magus and bbq's posting histories before I continued.
    I know, huge failure on my part considering I rag on newbies on the technic forums for not bothering to do a preliminary search of their problem before posting about it in a wrong section.
    I hate letting misinformation go unanswered, but I also know better than to feed trolls. Again, sorry.

You ran out of arguments to defend Tekkit, so now you prefer atack the people who are atacking Tekkit.

If all the Goonswarm(tekkit users/supporters) are like you, bravo tekkit, making modding Minecraft a lil' more difficult and less-rewarding.

So, again, if you ran out of arguments to defend your thing, and you have start making personals atacks, maybe this forum isn't for you.

And I think, if we use mods, we should at least respect the modders wishes regarding of its use.

And I think, if we use mods, we should at least respect the modders wishes regarding of its use.

Oh yes, completely agree.
    So why are you guys raging against technic? All grievances have been settled and the mod authors have voiced their approval of technic hosting their mods.
    Or are you just putting that up for show and damn the modders, you want something to rally against?

You ran out of arguments to defend Tekkit, so now you prefer atack the people who are atacking Tekkit.

So far every argument against technic has boiled down to "LALALA! NOT LISTENING! TECHNIC BAD!"
    The best comment made so far against technic has been in another thread by dragonherald, and it was basically a wish that technic wasn't legal.
    Everything else has hinged on facts that are no longer relevant.

I didn't make a personal attack there. I truly am sorry I got sucked into an argument with someone who doesn't care about facts or reality, just his hatred of something.

• Half a terabyte a day? Look above you, one guy here get's that much for 50 pence. Slightly more than half a advert click a day.
    Besides are you suggesting they get 50k+ downloads a day? In which case they must get a shit-ton of advertisment income.
    Also, I'm talking about the ads on the website, not the forums (I can confirm they are run on different pieces of software) besides with the money they get from the ads they could easily afford the full version.

Oh yes, completely agree.
    So why are you guys raging against technic? All grievances have been settled and the mod authors have voiced their approval of technic hosting their mods.
    Or are you just putting that up for show and damn the modders, you want something to rally against?

Seriously? You think Technic has permission for all the mods they use? Some people's IQ just concerns me.

Ya know what? I'm sorry everyone. I'm truly sorry. I let myself get sucked into an argument with a someone who will twist and ignore reality to support their beliefs.
    I should have done some research into Magus and bbq's posting histories before I continued.
    I know, huge failure on my part considering I rag on newbies on the technic forums for not bothering to do a preliminary search of their problem before posting about it in a wrong section.
    I hate letting misinformation go unanswered, but I also know better than to feed trolls. Again, sorry.

Wow, I must say that was interesting. I've never been personally attacked before. Nope. 550+ posts on MCF, 100+ here, on 550+ CodeCall. Never been personally attacked. I'm not a troll. Please explain when I have been a troll in this thread? One of the things troll's do is personally attack people with no evidence to try and provoke them. IE you. How have I twisted or ignored reality? The reality is lots of mod authors who do not want their mods in technic/tekkit have had them stolen and put in the pack anyway. And I personally believe that, on a fundamental level, is wrong.

What misinformation have I released? Please, feel free to correct me. So far you have failed to give me any information.

• Official Post

Which adds more proof that Technic is basically direct theft of the mods because, in all seriousness, they use this content to generate cash flow...

I hope to God that Abla has some form of copyright on this material, as this could easily be the basis of a suit...

Putting up a few Ads on a website of theirs isn't that much of an issue to me...
    As long as they don't start forcing people to watch/click ads / answer surveys / hit AdFly or similar stuff before downloading, it's fine, at least to me.
    I should probably consider asking them for a few %, though.

PS: On a second thought, Technic is one of IC's main sources of publicity (and indirectly, income)...

• Putting up a few Ads on a website of theirs isn't that much of an issue to me...
    As long as they don't start forcing people to watch/click ads / answer surveys / hit AdFly or similar stuff before downloading, it's fine, at least to me.
    I should probably consider asking them for a few %, though.

PS: On a second thought, Technic is one of IC's main sources of publicity (and indirectly, income)...

I guess so, but for every Technicor who likes IC2 there will be one who goes "what's IC2?" having never looked behind the shiny art of the launcher. I'm mainly thinking of people who haven't consented to allow them to use there mods.

• 1st thats my line

2nd don't ban him he makes addon and is rather tame as long as there isn't 4+ technic bashing threads running at once

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

On a second thought, Technic is one of IC's main sources of publicity (and indirectly, income)...

And where would those people get the mods if technic or a similar pack didn't exist? ;)

Here.
    That would lead to more people visiting ic.net and probably more people donating

Precisely! This has been most of my motivation in this argument... They are profiteering, and it's highly apparent that they are doing so without care...

I don't have time to respond to the Goon Neowulf atm.. work/class/bills... not worth the time to be late and all...

don't ban him he makes addon and is rather tame as long as there isn't 4+ technic bashing threads running at once

That's a shitty excuse... His add-on isn't that awesome to allow for his misbehavior. NO add-on is..

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Simple math here people, or is 2+2=4 automatically wrong because a technic user is stating it?

According to bbq's own rates and that little "hits total:" count below, Alblaka should be sitting pretty on over $20-40k by now from this forum alone.
    Or maybe, just maybe, ads aren't as lucrative as you guys seem to think.

And really, think about what you're claiming.
    By the technic bug boards, 95% of the people using the pack can barely get an automated installer working. Half of them can't even read forum titles to put their desperate cry for help in the right spot.
    Do you actually believe all those people would be using IC2 and generating ~$0.005 per view and $0.004 per download? And do you really believe you could handle the sheer amount of "Your mod is crap! I install it and it doesn't work! You need to fix it!" and "Make my server work! No one can connect to it!" that would be generated from it?

And really magus, my misbehavior? My refusal to roll over and accept everything you say as gospel truth? My insistence that if you're going to flame technic, you should have some actual evidence and not just "Because I say so!" (burden of proof being on the accuser is such a pain, innit?)
    bbq was the one dredging up every anti-technic flame he could and starting a few of his own. You're the one using classic political strategies to try convincing people technic is akin to theft and attempted murder. And now a few of you are trying to silence me so you don't have to actually back up your claims or deal with counter-arguments from someone smart enough to use punctuation and grammar.

• That's a shitty excuse... His add-on isn't that awesome to allow for his misbehavior. NO add-on is..

Yes being an addon author isn't enough to justify going all flame happy, but he isn't the only one to blame here *looks at bbqroast*. Simply put there are several active technic bashing threads at the moment and all they accomplish is string up unnecessary conflict. He's only being obnoxious cause he's a hard head like the rest of us and you guys are provoking him.

can't we all just cut the drama and get along?

Neowulf stop trying to get the last word in

can't we all just cut the drama and get along?

Neowulf stop trying to get the last word in

You answered your own question in the same span of two lines...

And really magus, my misbehavior? My refusal to roll over and accept everything you say as gospel truth? My insistence that if you're going to flame technic, you should have some actual evidence and not just "Because I say so!" (burden of proof being on the accuser is such a pain, innit?)

I never said that you had to believe me. In fact, I expect everyone to have the capability to form their own opinion on a situation regardless of what I say, or whether they give what I say any relevance what-so-ever. (I'm actually surprised that Fenix was slightly supportive of me. Bit of a shock tbh, and I appreciate it nonetheless). I may not like what you say, but they are your words, and you are entitled to them regardless of any interaction I may partake with them...

However, if you expect me to just 'play ball' with Technic's existence and activities, then it is YOU who is being arrogant. You have plenty of options to ignore me, in various ways, but your persistence shows that you still have something to gain from all of this infighting. I'm not about to change my stance, period. And if you can not respect that, then it is YOU who has the problem...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

According to bbq's own rates and that little "hits total:" count below, Alblaka should be sitting pretty on over $20-40k by now from this forum alone.

Remembered something: I've had alot of support requests from Technic users in the past who have stated that they are required to use their forum ID to log into the launcher, from which to have access to the mods and such to play Minecraft from. Now, this login is based off a Technic forum account, and that in order to use said launcher, you have to register on the forums first.

In this case, would it be possible to count these login actions as site views, which indirectly count as ad views for the site to generate income? Would make sense, but I don't get how the code ties together in that respect...

• You answered your own question in the same span of two lines...

neowulf pm'ed me and said he is willing to drop all this and get along if you are. I highly recommend you drop the subject and walk away cause he isn't going to say out of this if you continue to say things that he's considers grossly inaccurate. simply put as long as you don't attack he won't defend and we can all go back to being distant internet acquaintances/friends. I'm sure you raise valid points but really I don't care your effectively preaching to the choir here (with the exception of neowulf) so all the well constructed arguments won't change anything. Technic still exists, alblaka probably won't sue Technic, or weaponize his code, and the Technic users won't suddenly become enlightened and abandon it in droves. Really what do you hope to accomplish from all this? (no one answer that I don't want to give any reason to perpetuate this flame war)

neowulf pm'ed me and said he is willing to drop all this and get along if you are.

He only did that to take advantage of your vulnerability and inability to face conflict... And in what case, in any of this, did I even call you my friend?

I could care less about his personal argument. However, I do want to know if my theory of Technic launcher log-in's can count as puesdo-ad views on the Technic website, from a programmer's perceptive, could work... In which case, I'm pretty sure it would be fairly easy to spot in the launcher if it's sending additional data information to the Technic forums to force a server side page loading...

• According to bbq's own rates and that little "hits total:" count below, Alblaka should be sitting pretty on over $20-40k by now from this forum alone.

Has it occurred to you that (unlike the Technic forums) this forum does not have ads? Alblaka said he might add them (with overwhelming support from the users of this forum), and those were the figures he quoted. I imagine it is no where near as much (those probably assume your going to make the website as spammy as mediafire), however I still feel Technic would generate more than enough cash to handle the bandwidth.