Question: What's your endgame power source?

• That'd be a question for SpwnX, i'm the nut that uses ice CASUCs as base power. :)

Ahh, my bad. Still, good idea for the transmittal via the cables. I do also plan to make an ice CASUC eventually, just for the challenge and being able to say I did it. Do you have any screenshots of your designs posted around here for me to study?

I suppose one wind tower is enough for most workshops. (Mine uses fully OC machines so one is not enough for me).

Detailed info: check my Wind engineering tutorial
    I'm adding a lazy-proof wind tutorial (but it won't explain mechanics so you gotta trust me ^^)

Ahh, thank you! That is some useful stuff. A little bit of it is still confusing to me since I'm relatively new to IC2, but I'll ask my questions on that thread so I don't clutter up this one any further.

Obsession with Automation is a good thing, right?

• Ahh, my bad. Still, good idea for the transmittal via the cables. I do also plan to make an ice CASUC eventually, just for the challenge and being able to say I did it. Do you have any screenshots of your designs posted around here for me to study?

There's nothing much to screenshot really, just a large ice generator setup using the thermal expansion mod feeding a ender chest. Inside the reactor there's a diamond chest, the matching ender chest, two filters and a timer set to 1 second. The filter feeding the reactor has 9 ice in it and the diamond chest has a BC is full gate to shut off the ice generators.

it's probably more expensive resource wise to set up using the thermal expansion mod but it's both easier and more tedious to do as one needs 60 glacial precipitators.

• One thing I've discovered is that large water-mill plants, fed with water buckets by a compact RP2 deployer+retriever+filter setup can produce wicked amounts of power. I have one array under my house that produces 40 eu/t all day long; the large number of buckets necessary can get expensive but I only had to build 10 generators to get it working (2eu/t per watermill, each basic generator can be crafted into 2 watermills).

Who needs nuclear power when you have water power? :P

• One thing I've discovered is that large water-mill plants, fed with water buckets by a compact RP2 deployer+retriever+filter setup can produce wicked amounts of power. I have one array under my house that produces 40 eu/t all day long; the large number of buckets necessary can get expensive but I only had to build 10 generators to get it working (2eu/t per watermill, each basic generator can be crafted into 2 watermills).

I'd just like to warn you that the automated watermills will start lagging your game out if you try to build anything that produces over 1000EU/t if you don't have a top-end computer.

• Official Post

I'd just like to warn you that the automated watermills will start lagging your game out if you try to build anything that produces over 1000EU/t if you don't have a top-end computer.

For that purpose, go Safe-SpaceEfficient Wind mills. (Setup designed by me, i have two designs. One needs bigger spacing, but lower height [181], other needs less spacing, but higher height [223] and "fake" towers at sides and during construction)

OR

Compact Solar Arrays.

me, for one. during late game I easily use more than 40EU/t on a consistent basis. Usually end up with a large collection of advanced machines idling and hooked up to a logistics network. Usually don't store much of any sand either so the cobble -> sand macerator gets used frequently. (various forestry recipes requesting sand and all) Then there's the Gravitation suite addon, that one eats power like crazy.
    so yeah.. a CASUC setup is expensive but a lot less laggy and easier on the processor.

• Official Post

I just found out, that the Thaumic Generator gives you much Energy, when you have a good enough Vis-Source. (But i use it for Blutricity)

Wooden Tendrils + Taint = Taintlogs; Taintlogs == Bad => Removing tons of Taintlogs and put them into the Sortomat (I would've called it Sortron but Eloraam trademarked it already) => Sortomat sends it to Thaumaturgysection => Thaumaturgysection sends it into its Crucible => Tons of Vis!

Automatic Wisp/Slimekilllingsystem, on the outerwalls of GregTower2 in a Mushroombiome, where nearly nothing else can spawn => Tons of Viscrystals => Overflow in Crystalrefinery => Viscrystals into Crucible => Tons of Vis!

A stack of Totems of Dawn in the Basement of my Tower => Tons of Vis (nearby 10000 and 0 Taint) to recharge my magic Tools with the Selfrepairenchantment! (But of course you can also use Viscondensers to get it)

• me, for one. during late game I easily use more than 40EU/t on a consistent basis. Usually end up with a large collection of advanced machines idling and hooked up to a logistics network. Usually don't store much of any sand either so the cobble -> sand macerator gets used frequently. (various forestry recipes requesting sand and all) Then there's the Gravitation suite addon, that one eats power like crazy.
    so yeah.. a CASUC setup is expensive but a lot less laggy and easier on the processor.

It's currently low-power, but I figure I can expand to at least 160 eu/t by adding more water mills to my current setup beyond building more farms, and again, the setup is ludicrously cheap for the power I'm producing.

• As for myself it really depends on the mods they are installed.

No RP and no Forestry => :Solar Panel: for endless supply (would it be arrays or not)
    RP => :Generator: (harvesting trees => :Electric Furnace: for charcoal)
    Forestry => Bees => Free lava => :Geothermal Generator: => profit ?
    With EE2+compact solar, it's definitively solar arrays as I get the "god" state really fast.

• As for myself it really depends on the mods they are installed.

No RP and no Forestry => :Solar Panel: for endless supply (would it be arrays or not)
    RP => :Generator: (harvesting trees => :Electric Furnace: for charcoal)
    Forestry => Bees => Free lava => :Geothermal Generator: => profit ?
    With EE2+compact solar, it's definitively solar arrays as I get the "god" state really fast.

With EE2, just hook up an Energy Collector Mk. 3 to an Energy Condenser set to producing :Lava Cell: for your battery of :Geothermal Generator: . No fuss, no muss.

With Thermal Expansion, you can use Netherrack to produce a bucket of Lava for very low cost, making it less laggy to obtain infinite lava from the Nether.

The Water Mill Brigade got nerfed, and it was kind of laggy for any serious EU output, but it was a very strong mid-game setup for maintaining all of your Advanced Machines, before you started with your MassFab. Not so much anymore, of course, since the EU output got halved, and it was never an end-game power solution.

I've never been a big fan of Solar Panels. They cost quite a lot and have very low energy returns per unit. Plus, they shut down at night and during storms. I might consider using them as an interim power source before I get my geothermal groove going, as an alternative to the water mill brigade, but probably not as a serious late-game power source.

• For me it's a giant power plant with water mills and redpower. A single redpower setup can provide about 40 water mills with buckets adequately.

A way to somewhat reduce lag is to instead of timers and bare alloy wire, use insulated cables and a redpower computer (or a single timer for slightly increased lag) although if you don't want cables running all over the place you could use wireless redstone.
    The only investment factor in this really is ender pearls and the amount of iron. 20 ender pearls 600 buckets, and 200 machine blocks later, you've got 400 EU/t.

It's really too bad that buildcraft pipes can't be used to 'run water through' the water mills...like a real water mill... >_>

• For the server ready map I am building, the most likely source will be Luminator powered Condensers making Uranium for the 96 MK1 (mix of breeders and generators) Reactors required to power the, shall I say, numerous MassFabs.

A Rock Raider trained as an Engineer, among other things.

• Official Post

It's really too bad that buildcraft pipes can't be used to 'run water through' the water mills...like a real water mill... >_>

It could, but it is like generating energy from nowhere (you get more energy from watermills than using to pump water into it).
    Anyway there is PowerConverters which can "break" that physics law since it adds waterstrainers (accepts only piped water to generate energy).
    Hint : use Thermal Expansion Aqueous accumulator for infinite water into those strainers.

• It could, but it is like generating energy from nowhere (you get more energy from watermills than using to pump water into it).
    Anyway there is PowerConverters which can "break" that physics law since it adds waterstrainers (accepts only piped water to generate energy).
    Hint : use Thermal Expansion Aqueous accumulator for infinite water into those strainers.

I could never get PowerConverters to work for 1.3.2 (the only one I could find was only compatible with BC 2.x and not 3.x), kept getting errors. Not surprising since it was basically a fan-update. And yea, Power Strainers were at least less laggy than the Bucket Brigade, and more compact as well. EU output was quite nice. Not Endgame-nice, but still very good as a supplementary power source, or to power remote locations (like a Quarry + Electric Engines).

With Thermal Expansion, you can use Netherrack to produce a bucket of Lava for very low cost, making it less laggy to obtain infinite lava from the Nether.

Between that and Soulsand 'fuel', I'm finding that the Nether is basically a gigantic realm of energy that once you tap into, you never can truly run out... Which is ironic since I added Nether Ores, increasing the need to have firm establishment in said hell realm immensely...

(Btw: Not a fan of the unstable forms of Mystcraft out there, so before anyone bring anything up about them, I don't want to hear it...)

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I personally use HV solar arrays from the Compact Solars mod. I've built an almost completely automated production line (using BC 2.x, Redpower and IC2) that takes UU matter from my mass fabber and turns it into solar arrays. It's not fully automated, since I still need to pop in ever so often and run the cobblegen to create glass and cobble (glass is automatically made) and I need to manually supply the transformers, but I've essentially got hands-off exponential growth now.

I made a factory which produced everything from UUM without needing any input from outside. It even extracted all left-over materials (rubber, wires etc). And best of all, it was lag-free.
    Only downside is that the uum->iron recipe was blocked by the server admin soon after the completion of the factory.

(History repeating itself, eh SpwnX?)

• Official Post

I made a factory which produced everything from UUM without needing any input from outside. It even extracted all left-over materials (rubber, wires etc). And best of all, it was lag-free.
    Only downside is that the uum->iron recipe was blocked by the server admin soon after the completion of the factory.

(History repeating itself, eh SpwnX?)

quite funny haha, not that you can't find another way.
    If you still can make tin/copper from uum you can make iron.

tin -> iron (probably blocked)
    bronze -> iron (two ways doing it)
    tin + copper combination [IC² "secret" recipe] -> iron

• Official Post

Hmm, I'm trying to decide between AdvancedSolars and Lightningrods or many many small CASUC's. I would have to make a complete system that retrieves ice and uranium cells and places them in the right slot in the reactor so I always get the 1000 EU/t. Also I would have to completely empty a reactor which is done and let it refill again. Pretty complex to do, but it is DOABLE.
    Otherwise, I'll just place an array of Advanced Solars on my roof and get free energy with some storage for my energy! :D

• Official Post

Hmm, I'm trying to decide between AdvancedSolars and Lightningrods or many many small CASUC's. I would have to make a complete system that retrieves ice and uranium cells and places them in the right slot in the reactor so I always get the 1000 EU/t. Also I would have to completely empty a reactor which is done and let it refill again. Pretty complex to do, but it is DOABLE.
    Otherwise, I'll just place an array of Advanced Solars on my roof and get free energy with some storage for my energy! :D

You should know that CASUCS have been removed on IC 1.106+ versions right? [Nuclear reactor overhaul]
    I suggest wind power for huge power consumption stuff (that includes the energy black hole mass fabricator).
    Solars are good if you want compact energy generation systems.