Adf.ly

• As you all might know, Adf.ly is down. IT has been down for a bout 48 hours. I find it ridiculous that a single sight can completely stop almost all Mod downloading without so much as a word. They haven't said ANYTHING about why they are down. Their twitter hasn't been touched in 3 years. We have no way to find out how long they expect to be down and why they went down. I don't think that we should support a site like this, and we should either find an alternative or always be sure to post non-adf.ly links too.

I wonder how many cells I can put into my reactor before it ex... BOOOM!
    :Uranium Ingot: + MinecraftCreeper dust+ my friends base= fun

• You mean kind of like how IC2 already does? This probably belongs on the Minecraft forums rather than here on the forums of a mod that doesn't use adfly

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Yeah I know IC does, but I wanted to play some map off of PlanetMC, and I couldn't dl it. Pretty silly.

I wonder how many cells I can put into my reactor before it ex... BOOOM!
    :Uranium Ingot: + MinecraftCreeper dust+ my friends base= fun

• Official Post

It costs you nothing to click on a link for 5 seconds. Your argument is ignorant and self entitled. Coming from someone who has donated a couple hundred out to modders. It's like watching free content on youtube and bitching about ad's that appear. One day you'll grow up and understand how time is worth money, no matter what it is.

Your mom says to go do the dishes.

• Ironic how you contradict yourself in a single paragraph. You say time is nothing to me, but all time is worth money? Apparently you have no sense of forethought or understanding of how small actions repeated many times lead to much larger consequences.

5 seconds in a lifetime is nothing significant, absolutely, but that implies you only wasted 5 seconds, which isn't the case. Any high school graduate can grasp that concept.

• Official Post

I did not contradict myself, comparing months of code vs 5 seconds in time.

If clicking a link for 5 seconds is too much of your time to download a mod, then please don't use them. Those 5 seconds is the cost of that mod.

It's obvious there is no point in arguing because everyone are 'money grubbers' who would like their months of work to be worth the small amount adfly provides. Not everyone does and all the power to them, but bashing those that do is just being a douche bag.

• Ironic how you contradict yourself in a single paragraph. You say time is nothing to me, but all time is worth money?

+1

It costs you nothing to click on a link for 5 seconds.

When you are making a modded client and server, to play with your friends, and you are testing mods and compatibility, with near 70-40 mods/plugins/add-ons, during that 5/10 seconds of adfly, I'm raging like a ork againts the modder for not having a direct download option.

If I want to give to the modder those 0,0000001€ of a adfly link, will be because I WANT, cuz I THINK HE/SHE DESERVE IT. Not because he/she thinks that he/she deserve it and should impose it to me.

And I click cuz I want on adfly-ed links, like on Risugami's mods cuz things like having a choice and "If you're feeling generous, feel free to donate! Or if you'd rather not spend your own money, you may click the Adfly links below and wait 5 seconds, then skip the ad.", thats a good way of doing things.

Those 5 seconds are taking away my mental sanity.

/ontopic

That happens when you have no direct download.

• Things like adfly are just plain disrespect towards the ones who're downloading the mod.
    If you want some guaranteed reward, go and sell the results of your work. Or you can say "guys, it's free, if you think it's worth something - please donate or click the adfly link".

• Official Post

I will never use AdFly for IC downloads, but I'm fine with single-download mods using them. However, some modders sort of overdo it and spam 20-parted downloads to get more AdFly revenue.

Good example:
    Railcraft (one download, everything can be toggled via config)

Bad example:
    RP, BC (multiple modules, 'so everyone can install whatever he likes')

• I constantly see people on IRC hating on Eloraam because of the 7 or so adfly component downloads for RedPower. She has no response to that either.

(Hating so much that they just get core and modify the URL to get the other components bypassing adfly)

• Hating so much that they just get core and modify the URL to get the other components bypassing adfly

Having to download 14 files from adfly for a single mod, there's a point in doing this. Especially if you're a fair person who donated some money for the developer of a great mod.

• I'm with Alblaka on this one. I get where they're (supposedly) coming from about not making people download large sections of the mod they don't want, but I don't know anyone who would only want a part of Redpower or Buildcraft. One link I don't mind, but five is overkill when you want the whole thing anyway.

• I would still like the Option to use Adf.ly for IC. Just offer the Option to use it like Risugami. I myself don't want my bank data in ebays (paypals) hands, also I don't want to use my credit card online. As it stands I can't properly donate money online :/.
    Therefore I'd really love the option to waste 5 seconds of my life for every IC² Download I do - in the end that is atleast 2 cent beeing donated - for not really that much work on dev side. I guess, some more people would use theese links, just make it optional.

FarFar

• The best adf.ly can offer is $5/1000 unique page views. That's for USA traffic with no adblock; flash and js enabled.
    Normal rates are like 1/10th of it. And now guess how many people are not using adblock.
    I refuse to believe it's enough to pay even for a domain name.

Leaving the money issue alone, what kind of websites do you think are advertising like that, just buying unrelated traffic?