IC2 Phoning Home...?

• RichardG: Would it just be fine if you moved the cape files to a different text document, and then added a config option to disable that checking? Don't know about the Tekkit stuff though.

The real issue is more around the 'Tekkit stuff'. They don't really care about the cape. That can be hardcoded easily. They just don't want IC2 to have an annoying DRM. I do agree that the cape check and the DRM protocol needs to be seperated (for different reasons than what has been stated), yet I don't see how a simple 'cape check' keeps you from playing Minecraft...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

RichardG said that the Check is threaded. Do you people know what that means? It means that IT DOESNT AFFECT LOAD TIME AT ALL!!! I dont know why I didnt get the Idea to make my own Check threaded, but now I did.

There is absolutely no reason for any of the complaints mentioned in this Thread, as neither the Cape Check nor the Modpack Check are lagging the load phase at all.

• @Greg: Well... yeah... but this thread is more about narcissistic rage and view point pushing, than the actual topic.. so..

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• Official Post

@Greg: Well... yeah... but this thread is more about narcissistic rage and view point pushing, than the actual topic.. so..
    "I don't give a fuck gif"

Thats pretty true. Anyway, I just gave my opinion and won't force him to agree with it. I "http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/files/2013/01/animated-shrug-house.gif" about it.

• Really, having a coremod disarm DRM simply because people can't take the 5 seconds it takes to give credit to IC2?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• I agree with CrafterOfMines.

I'd like to weigh in one more thing regarding the platform:

What in here requires modpack makers to comply with the mod authors? While they can't insult our permissioning systems, they aren't required to abide by them.

• I don't understand the sense in this. 'No' should mean 'No'... Is this some insatiable need to get what you want, and screw the consequences? Is it a mental disbalance that allows for one to act with no regard to others, or no thought as to why his actions bring such consequence/retaliation? I wonder, are the mods that great, like a form of virtual crack, that you MUST have them? Or is the simple act of being denied drawing you feverishly more toward wanting something you can't have?

I don't get it.. all this is, is a modification to game...

And you are denied because you could not follow some simplistic rules

• @Saul: look, I can understand your reason to be worried about suspicious code, but look at what's happening now. The forum is being trolled pretty hard because some mod pack creators who aren't getting their way. The code you are referencing serves two purposes, BECAUSE of them...

Do you not see the logic as to why such measures are being used? We have FTB, IC2 welcomes modpacks under it. They aren't against people making modpacks, but against people who have no respect for those who develop mods. All the permission systems are, are merely citations of creation. No fame, no fortune to be require. Just a simple footnote saying "dis dude made dis mod." Yet, for some reason or another, doing that seems to be a very huge issue...

The LAST thing any author wants is for someone to claim their work as their own. That's why such measures are being used. When Mojang makes the Mod API finally, there is a minor possibility that a mod could be taken by those who did not maintain it. Hence why permissions/community outcry is important. It helps ensure that we do know who actually made the mod, that they receive the credit for their work, and that no one else can profiteer off of it. Why? Because coding is hard work, and the mods are done well. That's why securing permissions is important. When modding becomes official under Mojang, we need to ensure that people know that it was Alba who made IC2 possible..

Not technic, not goonswarm, not anybody else...

• OK, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...

Saul Goode, can you provide, ANY proof that there is code in the mod that gives the IC2 devs and testers a special cape. Also, unless your using a VERY early computer and a REALY crap Internet connection, your complaining about "code" that is smaller (in terms of bytes) then a empty notepad document. I said this in my last post here, IT"S A F^&%%$N CAPE, GET OVER IT!!!! It's just somthing to say "I work on/test IC2". Would anyone complain if Krapht or Sengir put a cape code into buildcraft? or how about Xen0 and Pahimar for EE3 and Reliquary? I don't here anyone complain about the Mojang capes. Now PLEASE, DROP THE SUBJECT, and if it's really bugging you, that much, stop playing IC2

Now if you would excuse me, I have to go calm down

Sorry, one thing i forgot to add, if your internet conection is really that bad, you will hate Shrine Runner because there is 125+ mods in the map (acording to the home screen of the instance so this includes child mods)

• Official Post

I did some cleanups.. also RichardG sent you a PM
    Why the f' cant you ban people? -_-
    Stay OT now, please

Doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I can say for a fact that without IC2 installed, about 30 seconds are shaved off of my FML setup time.

So it takes minutes for you to load ic.net websites?
    the host used for the txt is hosted by me on the same server as ic.net
    So everyone who can surf on here just fine CAN'T have that problem

• "Some cleanups"

*looks at the past two pages*

What posts did you not delete?

And yes, it takes quite a long time to load industrial-craft.net from my desktop. Using my iPad, I have no such problems.

• I did some cleanups.. also RichardG sent you a PM
    Why the f' cant you ban people? -_-
    Stay OT now, please

NOOOOO, I didn't get to read them DX
    I was reading this thread purely for entertainment.

On the topic of capes, a few pages ago I saw someone say that capes are useless if no one else will see them. Well I frequently go into third person just to have a bit of fly around and look at my wonderful gregtech cape.

HOORAY!

• Official Post

So it takes minutes for you to load ic.net websites?
    the host used for the txt is hosted by me on the same server as ic.net
    So everyone who can surf on here just fine can CAN'T have that problem

Not to mention that RichardG said that the Connection for that is threaded, meaning that another Mini-Program, which is independant on the Minecraft-Load-Phases runs in the background of Java, not affecting the loading time at all. (what I said earlier)

• Regardless of the load time (and when 120 mods are all kicking a thread for a cape, and a thread for an update check, and a thread for a..., there will be a load time impact), the simple fact remains that it is not a needed check. Not everyone lives in a location where they can get un metered internet: Some people have caps and have to pay for overage. And while a few KB might not seem like a lot, that just means that it is one more thing that is not needed slowly nibbling at that. Note that a config option to stop that would simply end all of this, although it is still not as ideal of a solution as a hardcoded list. (I am not even really that against the vanity capes, I think it is silly personally, but if other people like them, go hard!)

• Regardless of the load time (and when 120 mods are all kicking a thread for a cape, and a thread for an update check, and a thread for a..., there will be a load time impact), the simple fact remains that it is not a needed check. Not everyone lives in a location where they can get un metered internet: Some people have caps and have to pay for overage. And while a few KB might not seem like a lot, that just means that it is one more thing that is not needed slowly nibbling at that. Note that a config option to stop that would simply end all of this, although it is still not as ideal of a solution as a hardcoded list. (I am not even really that against the vanity capes, I think it is silly personally, but if other people like them, go hard!)

GOD JUST LET THIS 2-MONTH OLD THREAD DIE PLEASE!