Solar panels use quarts

• Just add quartz to the old solar panel recipe instead of glass or one of the coal dust

Isn't quartz from Applied Energistics? You can't make a mod rely on other mod items, at least without alternative recipes.

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Coal is not the best recipe, but Quartz would be even badder. [Ad]And if you want a good recipe for solars, install Gregtech.[/ad]

Isn't quartz from Applied Energistics? You can't make a mod rely on other mod items, at least without alternative recipes.

There is now Quartz in Minecraft. Try to press the Update-Button...

• There is now Quartz in Minecraft. Try to press the Update-Button...

Quote Fail. Easy on the quote button :P .

Also, my minecraft play is based on ftb, and i haven't played that in a while aswell (goddam metro the last light, y u so addictive?)

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• quartz would be VERY bad for solar panels, for it reflects and absorbs most of the radiation that incides on it (the common quartz, some types are more crystaline, like watch quartz). Glass is used because it transmits almost all of the radiation, and even so, solars have a 14-16% efficiency.

• It would be reasonable for nether quartz to be an alternative to coal dust, unless GregTech is installed.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

• You could always polish the Quartz into a refined flat surface...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• You could always polish the Quartz into a refined flat surface...

... not realy lol. I just discovered that, glass don't absorb light mostly because atoms aren't organised at all in this material (because of very quick freezing). Quarts is a crystal where atoms make a geometric shape, so it wouldn't really be as transparent as Glass. And it probably contains way more impurities.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• ... not realy lol. I just discovered that, glass don't absorb light mostly because atoms aren't organised at all in this material (because of very quick freezing). Quarts is a crystal where atoms make a geometric shape, so it wouldn't really be as transparent as Glass. And it probably contains way more impurities.

Glass does not equal Quartz. Yes, atomically, they are composed of the same stuff, but Glass and Quartz are arraigned much differently on their lattice types, which makes a huge difference.

A Quartz crystal has uni-axial arraignment (bottom of page 5), meaning that the atoms are aligned in a way that not only allows for an even distribution of passing light, but that this light is (mostly) non-interfered. This allows for the crystal to serve as a "lens" to capture photons to excite electrons between sheets of silicon, thus allowing a stream of charge to flow over time. It's this geometrical arrangement in quartz that also facilitates electron flow for a circuit, making solar cells a collector of seemingly free energy...

Glass, on the other hand, is more of an amorphous solid. This means that the internal structure of the glass can actually vary wildly in terms of its arrangement so long as it does not exceed the boundaries of its physical form. Because of the 'soup' like nature of the silicon in this state, glass has a bit of a harder time passing light...

And finally, most physical samples of Quartz in gem state are about 99.3% pure, so it's bound to be almost all SiO2 molecules. When ever there are cases of impurities within quartz crystals, we usually assign the crystal a different name (like Amethyst, or Citrine)...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• So... Nether quartz + macerator -> quartz dust + compressor -> quartz plate ? (substitutes glass)
    I just wonder why solar needs coal dust.

Sounds good. And you could register all of that under the Ore Dictionary for AE stuff as well.

And tbh, I've wondered about that as well, SpwnX, lol...

• Official Post

I've looked on photovoltaic cells and they can be made of :

Sheets of different metals with a SiO2 layer below,
    Thin films of SiO2
    Thin layers of CdTe
    Organic molecules (kinda unefficient, but cheap, can be mass produced)

Coal dust is pointless =P
    It should be replaced by copper (plates) as it is one of possible metals used alongside a layer of SiO2

• Because solars are blackish blue and coal dust is black.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.