My server is getting rid of BC for RP2 I thought this was a pretty crazy turnout I wanted to share.

• Official Post

That is interesting on the poll results. IR has been considering it as well once we get to update to the latest RP when IC2 updates to 1.0. The entire server is slowly moving from pipes to tubes and it seems silly to have both. Frames and Teleport Tubes are next.

• I personally Like Pipes WAY better than RP's tubes. Especially with BC's recent update.

(although, the process of getting the gates and stuff is way too complex and annoying in my opinion.)

"way too complex"? Didn't seem that bad. Granted I have't messed with v3 (going to wait until it's out of alpha) and just watched the videos but it looks like something one could automate.
    Time is the only issue I have with it. takes a while to do one gate.

• Official Post

I still like both pipes and tubes, but I haven't sat down and REALLY played with tubes just yet. I only futzed around a bit with them for mod-spotlighting. I'm kinda 'saving myself' for my new Lets play series. So i've not fully jumped into RP2 pre 4, nor BC 3.x.

• I prefer BC and it's pipes specially with his newest pipes coming into play, as for the person complaining about it being complex well... That is what keep things fresh and fun is how complex I ca n make my systems.
    RP2 doesn't hold much interest to me other then the cabling system that it started as (and the ability to hide it) The tubes are nothing special though the sorting system is a bit "stupid" and the Block-Breaker is a bit cheap to me personally since you can make a Cobblestone Generator very cheaply.

• Im hoping he makes the block breaker, placer, and so on ALL require bluetricity.

I cant wait for frames, so I can build a redpower quarry, as well as it being WAY more flexable.

• It's a bit difficult ... I really love Redstone/Wiring and RP2 is really heavy on that stuff. Gates, bundeled cables. Then sawing blocks to smaller things and covering stuff witch is really revolutionary. All good. But I don't like this "all in one" thing.

Eloraam adds Tubes witch are simmilar to pipes. And Bluetricity witch is similar to IC2 Power.
    IC allready has cables and power. And Buildcraft has pipes and adds signal processing and transmission.
    Of course it's different and she can add whatever she wants.

But why not work together ... at least cooperate a little bit. Competition is one thing but when you overtake someone and take all his customers the others work is lost.

• It's a bit difficult ... I really love Redstone/Wiring and RP2 is really heavy on that stuff. Gates, bundeled cables. Then sawing blocks to smaller things and covering stuff witch is really revolutionary. All good. But I don't like this "all in one" thing.

Eloraam adds Tubes witch are simmilar to pipes. And Bluetricity witch is similar to IC2 Power.
    IC allready has cables and power. And Buildcraft has pipes and adds signal processing and transmission.
    Of course it's different and she can add whatever she wants.

But why not work together ... at least cooperate a little bit. Competition is one thing but when you overtake someone and take all his customers the others work is lost.

There is a car that can go at a max of 45miles per hour.
    Eloraam is making her car reach 100miles per hour and everyone likes her sleek look and fast speeds and you are complaining about this.

• I'm not complaining that she's doing better. That's good and all. I'm complaining of the lack of cooperation. No one is forced to cooperate but with mods where no one gets a penny and people work hard in their spare time cooperation would affect (hope that was right) outcome positively. Well that's what I think anyway.

• I don't like this "all in one" thing.

You'd rather have to use several mods, rely on varying update schedules, and risk conflicts and compatiblity issues? Umm... OK? Try Better Than Wolves. :p

Competition is one thing but when you overtake someone and take all his customers the others work is lost.

Cooperation is great, but competition is what drives innovation! Knowing that the other guy can do it better and steal your thunder keeps everyone on their "A" game. No one can merely rest on their laurels, because otherwise they get left behind.

• Personally i welcome the fact that someone outdoes me. When i made my first OreVeins a year ago some other guy made a BiomeTerrains mod that had my features in it, just about a thousand times more awesome and it also dealt with a TON of other things. He proceeded in making a special "Thank you Cadde!" note on his mod release thread for something i did or helped him with. After that, i simply stopped working on my mod because there was something that was WAAAAY better at the time.
    And i was HAPPY for two major reasons:

1) There was a better alternative from someone with loads more experience in Java (especially MC obfuscated Java) than me.
    2) I didn't have to release an update every 2 weeks (yes, at the time MC was updated like once every 2 weeks)

So what if Redpower covers ALL bases and even adds more features than vanilla minecraft does. We should just be happy that we are getting any mods at all! And when one mod falls into the shadows and another shines, some hundred other mods are started... Out of those 100, at least one grows as big as BuildCraft, IndustrialCraft or RedPower and has it's own unique features that people prefer.
    If you don't like RedPower there are about a thousand other mods (not all updated though) that can cover your needs.
    If that isn't enough for you then start modding yourself. Most MC modders started out with nothing more than google and the MC Forums.

• I'm a bit torn on the topic. As long as you can switch and chose to not install certain aspects of eloraams mod's her all in one approach is legit and whatever.

However one downside is, the more she implements into her mod the less the need for her to be compatible with BC (or IC in the future) plus i'd rather see the option for BC machines to consume power from IC, THAT would be cool. So instead of a Redstone, Steam etc. Engine, make a blank pump of sorts that is basically an engine with no Energy that can be wired to an IC grid with the same funcitonality.

Same with the Filler / Builder, quarry (its odd to have to find oil for these) etc. It would be very cool if it was balanced around IC so it would enhance IC more instead of just coexist. Optional of course.. however the outlook doesnt look like it, i dont use RP stuff for anything else than the redpowerstuff i think its genious in execution and idea. To establish a 3rd energysystem however to power her stuff, no thx. Dont feel it at all. IC is energy all the way with numbers, blicking shit and exploding reactors. HAYOOOO Gibbl all the way, i dont like energy in BC and i dont like it in RP, so as long as they dont make their machines attachable to the IC grid i'ma never change.

I love Spacetoads work but i fear Eloraam will roll over the mod and mainly it's programmer in the end, and make him obsolete. To copy IC and incorporate it totally however will be a lot trickier. Its going to be interesting to see on where we are in 2 years, however IC has a much brighter future than BC. The shame is, all of these 3 mods have an immense quality of work in them. And its a shame if one gets absorbed, i rather have the choice...

• I actually see 'transporting' stuff around as a basic concept in any mod; just as energy (of some kind) and crafting elements together to make new things are. It's an obvious thing. The only reason IC2 doesn't have such a thing is that /other/ mods were already doing it (multiple plural; there's BC and RP which I've tried, and I've heard of minefactory/reloaded as well) and as nice as it is, that wasn't something /required/ for IC2's tech path.

Buildcraft's pipes are cheep. It's obsidian pipes (when powered) are downright balance breaking. (maybe if instead of glass it wanted an enderperl in the middle it would make a tiny bit more sense)

However the point of buildcraft shouldn't be pipes. It's way too big and heavy of a mod for just pipes. No, the thing buildcraft is about now are gear powered things; miners, motors, modeling, all using oil as fuel. Having used the mining stuff and the motors, I'm not massively impressed. IC2 does the mining aspect far better (though not more cheaply); and lacks only in filling in the massive fracs left behind. RP2 does a -massively- better job at piping stuff, on top of the added redstone logic (it's current core focus) and better machines to interface with it as a result.

Even looking at a small bit of the current updates in progress, IndustrialCraft2 and RedPower2 are taking things in a direction I'll find fun. Buildcraft, doesn't give me that feeling.

• However the point of buildcraft shouldn't be pipes. It's way too big and heavy of a mod for just pipes. No, the thing buildcraft is about now are gear powered things

I think it was an interview where Spacetoad said that BuildCrafts intended purpose was to assist you build things, with the filler, builder, etc. Things just got a little carried away with the transport system, and is hoping to concentrate more on the building side of things in the future, I look forward to seeing what's next. :)

• The one issue I have found with RP tubes is that they are far more computer resources intensive than BC pipes.
    I've used BC pipes to transport and sorted hundreds of items into dozens of different chests, and never experienced any slowdown.
    When i do the RP tubes however, I have experienced major performance issues when trying to transport a large amount of items, such as handling the influx from a quarry. I presume that while RP tubes are far smarter, they have an algorithm with a larger Big O than the one used for BC pipes.

Granted this leaves room for a better algorithm, but as it stands when it comes down to BC pipes vs RP tubes:

I use BC for blunt item transporting and sorting, when there are tons of items that need to go from point A to point B, and need to be sorted. They are fairly simple, and work great for day-day out operations. Granted with BC 3.00, they do get a lot smarter, so I am quite excited.

I use RP tubes for operations that simply require a smarter item transport system, such as a factory with IC2 machines, such as the one Direwofl20 made. Unlike BC pipes which would normally overflow items or send items to already filled slots, RP pipes are smart enough to put items where they need to go and will not send items at all if there is no room.

• I pretty much /only/ use RP2 pipes in the 'factory' fashion. I have yet to harness mining resources with them though, and I suspect that there may be a few algorithm tweaks which could more effectively be expressed through memorization of search results. (More or less caching possible destinations past a given point. The issue you might be running in to could be scanning over all the destinations.)