How do you start a new world?

• Official Post

How do you power your macerator without coal-dust to make batteries and without a generator to make power?

You can put in redstone dust, with a rate of 1 redstone : 1 macerator operation

Bottom slot for the redstone dust fyi ;)

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• You can put in redstone dust, with a rate of 1 redstone : 1 macerator operation

Bottom slot for the redstone dust fyi ;)

Undocumented feature! That seriously changes my preferred order of tech startup... I wonder if extractors have the same benefit? Though that's a lot of RS dust... I'd probably be better off investing coal in a battery...

Yeah. So if that's the case you process 9 iron and 6 rubber the old way while building the macerator; then your iron is conserved at the cost of 1 coal + redstone (and a copper cable) but you still need one more rubber to build your generator. Finally the extractor requires 9 more iron and 6 more rubber.

Given that you'd want 13 rubber, 17 iron, a bunch of tin and copper (you'll get more than enough in your travels, but you might want to make an iron over a tin bucket depending on your balance), at least one redstone block (but I vastly prefer 32+ dust so I can build a miner and never go down again; however that also requires several gold).

PS, you're going to want an iron pickaxe to mine effectively, so + 3 iron the old way.

• Official Post

Oh really? Interesting, if I remember correctly all machines will accept direct RS dust, and it will provide one operation for the machine you put it in, no matter what machines you put it in, I mean the core machines, electric furnace, macerator, extractor, induction furnace (may need changed) etc. All the basic machines accept it, even miners and pumps. The kind of stuff that doesn't is stuff that doesn't have a fuel slot, like mass fabricator, electrolyzer, and magnetizer.

Oh, and you said you need an iron pickaxe if you want to mine effectively, really you have to have it for redstone.

EDIT: So anyway, I start all my worlds with a macerator, this way I can stretch my iron as far as possible, I don't care about copper, tin, rubber, or redstone, those are all MUCH less precious than iron, just my two cents. :D

• | Redstone -> EU | feature is a very old IC1 feature... but I guess Alba increased the yield of EU you can gain from Redstone...

Personally, I'd rather not sink my RS into something like that, and this is coming from the guy who can craft it from Cu Dust+Sand...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

I just use it for enough Macerator operations to get enough iron for a gen + battery or cables.

• Early on, it's far easier to get more iron (or copper, tin, coal, etc) than it is to find more redstone. I save my redstone, and use it only when needed in the beginning. Circuits, batteries, etc but never as fuel.

• Official Post

Early on, it's far easier to get more iron (or copper, tin, coal, etc) than it is to find more redstone. I save my redstone, and use it only when needed in the beginning. Circuits, batteries, etc but never as fuel.

I find 2 good rs veins gets me by good, if I find 3 I'm pretty set for awhile. Even with the 10-13 rs I end up consuming. This way my iron stretches farther, rs is easy to find, iron you can never have enough of, especially early in the game.

• *OMGNOOBMOVECADDE*

Ok, i started a new world a few days ago using my OreVeins mod. I found Iron, Copper, Tin, Coal and Uranium but i couldn't find a single piece of redstone... And we all know, without redstone you are still staying in the stone ages.
    Having spent several hours digging tunnels in all direction up to 500 tiles long EACH using RP2 gems to make pickaxes. (THANK GOD FOR THOSE)
    Today i just said *F* it and gave myself an OD scanner to seek out at least ONE Redstone vein... After 3 hours of digging holes finding more iron, copper and tin etc i just gave up and fired up the Minecraft XRay map viewer to see if there was any redstone anywhere.
    I had one (very elusive veins) close to my spawn and base. But it was tiny... And about 4 of my prospecting tunnels had somehow managed to miss it by a SINGLE TILE! :cursing:

Either way, so i sped around in XRAY looking at the distributions and though "What the F is going on here? There is pretty much nothing to be found anywhere!"

Care to take a guess at what went wrong???
    Done guessing?

-------------------------------------

Enough off topic though!

When i start (difficulty hard, torch burnout mod, MOREHUNGER which is my own creation, all of oreveins, RP2, IC2, BC, Forestry etc) i do things in the following order:

• Punch a tree, get wood (mmmmm wood), make a pickaxe, get stone, make stone tools, get more wood, build wood shelter.
    • Kill animals, cook food, cut grass to get seeds, build a farm with fences in/around a shallow pond, till dirt and plant seeds.
    • Get as much wood as i can before nightfall, start mining for Copper, Tin, Iron and Redstone. (As well as some flint and other things i stumble across)
    • Make Generator and Macerator, macerate lots of copper and tin and iron to make another macerator and eventually another generator.
    • When i have 4 generators, 4 macerators and 4 electro furnaces i start expanding my base.
    • Go mining for diamonds, lapis and gold. Gather dyes, sand and other stuff required to make a filler (buildcraft) and clear out an area for a coal power plant.
    • If i found some diamonds i make a tree farm from forestry.

From there on out i start getting self sufficient so to speak. Then it's just a matter of finding as much redstone and coal as i possibly can so i can make myself a lot of gunpowder to turn into sticky dynamite to find resources fast.
    And then it's on with constructing more stuff like factories and power plants and all the other cool stuff.

• Cadde if you have the redstone but not the iron then you might want to follow this, otherwise O.O on your level of hardness!

• mmmm, i use miners a bit, but they is still a pain to look after. normal mining works for me much better,

normal furnaces, then gen and macerator and charcoal burning, then extractor.

i don't even get a furnace till i can make an induction furnace.

If i feel like being lazy i go for a BC quarry, 64x64 size, otherwise i progress into forestry for food and wood.

Hell, prove me wrong, Happy to be so 99% of the time, then I can learn stuff :)

• Cadde if you have the redstone but not the iron then you might want to follow this, otherwise O.O on your level of hardness!

Well, i need to find iron to make a macerator and the thing about OreVeins with the "Extreme" balance config is that once you do find iron you usually find something like 400+ iron ore. So i never run short on iron once i have found some to begin with.

As for the difficulty...

Obviously i run on hard difficulty. I just didn't find that challenging enough, i want to barely survive the first couple of days.
    MoreHunger (modded FoodStats.java) means i increase my exhaustion level 25% faster from doing stuff like sprinting, jumping, mining, attacking etc. My exhaustion for food decrease is just 2 instead of 4 (exhaustion builds up. I also gain .001 exhaustion each tick. Simply standing around for a 32 minutes doing nothing at all reduces my food level from 10 bars to 0. (20 food points, this has happened more than a few times as my brother bugs me about some coding and i forget to pause the game. Then i realize i have about 2 bread left and am starving... In a tunnel deep underground... FAR away from base.)
    Exhaustion is the thing that reduces food. In vanilla, when it exceeds 4.0 it is subtracted by 4 and a food point is deducted (half a food bar)

EDITED because i messed up.

• I build a small farm to keep my hunger in check then I set up a rubber tree farm using forestry for minecraft then I build a generator and extrator macerator and then a single solar flower. Once that is done I begin consuming lava lakes to power goe generators and then start consuming the world.

• Generator > Macetator > Compressor > Mass Fabricator > Solar Panel > Bat Box x2 > Upgrade generator to solar Panel

Mass Fabricator only to rid myself of extra power when I have alot of charcoal built up.
    Once I have the Solar Panel I have the Mass Fabricator running all day,
    1 Batbox to collect extra energy and the other to build up energy so the Mass Fabricator gets power. (Also its connected to the one storing up extra power for my other Machines while I get Solar Panels setup.

Than I have UU-Matter building from the start, even though its slow it helps incase of any Tin or Copper problems I hit.

• Now that I'm fairly confident on how to set things up, I go Generator-> Macerator -> Wind Mill -> Electro Furnace. With the exceptions of massive desert or island spawns, I come across Rubber Trees often enough that I don't necessarily need more Rubber over fast smelting. I'm starved enough for Iron as it is, so Macerator goes second, and the Wind Mill uses the original Generator (with any luck...). Before I make the first Generator, though, I use the Iron Furnace prereq for loads of Charcoal to power the Gen while I dig for components for Bronze Pickaxes. As to why upgrading the Generator instead of burning more Charcoal, my above-ground shenanigans are only enough to make sure I have everything I need before I head right back down before I advance to Tier 2.

• Normally I build a generator first and add macerator, extractor, compressor and E-Furnace at the 4 sides (so they are powered without cables).

I guess you also build the Macerator after the Generator, because it wouldn't make much sense the other way around.

• Actually the Macerator first makes a /ton/ of sense if you know that you can power single operations with Redstone dust. You then macerate one coal to get coal dust, hydrate it, mix with a second redstone and an insulated copper wire to make a 8000 eU of single use batteries. Now you can macerate all the materials you'd need to make a generator or upgrade that to a windmill.

• Actually the Macerator first makes a /ton/ of sense if you know that you can power single operations with Redstone dust. You then macerate one coal to get coal dust, hydrate it, mix with a second redstone and an insulated copper wire to make a 8000 eU of single use batteries. Now you can macerate all the materials you'd need to make a generator or upgrade that to a windmill.

According to wiki macerator takes 625 EU per operation, while redstone dust provides only 500EU (i put it in batbox to find out). That means you need 5 redstones per 4 macerations. I tried that and 5 redstones was actually enough to macerate 5 items and some energy was even remaining. Is wiki incorrect or does redstone just fill machine buffer ?

• The wiki is incorrect; redstone, in a machine anyway, is equal to one basic operation. It may be 500 power if you drop it in to a batbox; but why would you do something silly like that?