[Suggestion] Naturally Generated Factory Ruins

• I just had another idea!
    There could be naturally generated factory ruins! These ruins would be made of stone or cobble and have possible a macerator/generator/extractor/solar panel inside them (only one of the four) and maybe a few stray rubber cables. The factories could be possibly two rooms, with a smokestack on the top! These factories would be rare, kind of like strongholds, only except INDUSTRIAL! Of coarse if these were to be added into IC2, I wouldn't mind how they looked so much, I just think its some cool food for thought though.

Thanks
    theGeneralrowboat :D

• Hm... Random structures on the surface (generally, I'd assume) with broken down machines and cables every once in awhile.

Though, I'd suggest these structures could hold upgraded versions of the Compactor/Macerator/Extractor, but requires a lot of material to fix them. Think lost, upgraded technology. (Though, I don't think Al would go for that. If anything, they should be broken and require some fixing, whatever they might be.)

Possibly tiers of buildings. From the basic generator ran buildings to the mass fabricator buildings.(or, what's left after they blew one up...)

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• But we don't want to make these things too OP, I like what your saying about the repairable advanced tech. I just don't think there should be any naturally generated Mass Fabricators, no matter how small the chance

Hm... Random structures on the surface (generally, I'd assume) with broken down machines and cables every once in awhile.

Though, I'd suggest these structures could hold upgraded versions of the Compactor/Macerator/Extractor, but requires a lot of material to fix them. Think lost, upgraded technology. (Though, I don't think Al would go for that. If anything, they should be broken and require some fixing, whatever they might be.)

Possibly tiers of buildings. From the basic generator ran buildings to the mass fabricator buildings.(or, what's left after they blew one up...)

• Add in ruined machines, and you can have the Mass Fabricators spawn... Just as a Ruined machine that can't be repaired- ever.

5% for a good, normal machine.
    10% for a broken, advanced machine.
    30% for a broken, normal machine.
    55% for a ruined machine of any type. Teleporter, Reactor, Mass Fabricator, etc.

5% of good cables.
    95% of ruined cables everywhere.

Percents can vary, but it's an idea.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• I don't like the idea of adding 'ruined' versions of objects /just/ for this (maybe if there's another reason to have them they'd be re-used).

Instead I suggest these have a few leftover pieces stashed in trunks; as if said machines had broken down and been set aside for repair before a creeper invasion struck.

'ruined' cables would be easiest to implement with cables that had mostly lost their insulation.

A few chests holding input/output of the workshop's normal results might also work.

• Perhaps instead of cobble/stone, the structures could be made of construction foam? Also, this would (obviously) require a change to the generation code. THis could be worked around though by making it an ore spawning at 64 y. As for the machines, definitely not broken, unless you can come up with an alternate use. I liked the idea with the chests spawning with left-over goodies. Maybe this could even be worked into Al's idea for more PvP based things. Have ruins that are high value targets. Maybe a mass fab that needs no energy? Obviously these would need to be rare/limited. Maybe a config file? Very good idea overall. Now we wait for Al to tell us that all of this stuff is impossible because we are coding illiterates. I need to learn Java.
    P.S. Al/anyone who knows Java: Where did you learn to code? I am taking 2 coding classes next year but I am unsure whether they will provide the needed base to mod MC.

I wonder how many cells I can put into my reactor before it ex... BOOOM!
    :Uranium Ingot: + MinecraftCreeper dust+ my friends base= fun

• I need to learn Java.

Don't we all? Need more modding possibilities for Minecraft.
    (Also, don't ask Al for mirrors. Possible, but if you ask, you might be macerated.)

Construction foam would work for the buildings. Though if this was implemented at all it would need a config file for the ability to spawn, how often, what sizes, what could spawn in it, and how much might spawn in it. Also, if any special items could be found, the ability to config if and how much/often.

<meme>
    Al. Config all the things!
    </meme>

• As IndustrialCraft is a modern themed mod, it doesn't quite make sense to have "old" ruins of modern buildings ..

I think they want to go for the 'post apocalyptic' form of Minecraft play... similar to Fallout....

Which, I wouldn't mind, but then again I'm kinda against 'themed play' in regards to Minecraft...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I think they want to go for the 'post apocalyptic' form of Minecraft play... similar to Fallout....

Which, I wouldn't mind, but then again I'm kinda against 'themed play' in regards to Minecraft...

Kind of. I just like an explanation of how Steve learned how to build all of this stuff. Has to learn it from somewhere, or learn the basics from somewhere.

And, I like finding stuff randomly in the world- which is why I'm kind of depressed about the sad state world generation is at right now. Bland. Meh.

• I like, as i have started several threads for factory dungeons,but being ruined is an interesting take. maybe you could repair ruined machines with UUM...

I imagine people hoarding ruined machines till they get UUM..

Also, there should be a way to implement your own buildings.

They should have lone buildings, and groups of buildings, like a town.

If they are too rare too find, they will have zero impact on gameplay, especially if they have no value.

• Usually Al responds pretty quick. Bump?

I wonder how many cells I can put into my reactor before it ex... BOOOM!
    :Uranium Ingot: + MinecraftCreeper dust+ my friends base= fun

• Maybe the ruined machines (and generally machine or other ic stuff you don't need any longer) could be recycled in an advanced recycler which doesn't give you scrap but some parts.
    For intact machines good chances to get any or (very very rarely) almost all materials used in the construction back, for ruined ones low chances.
    Like that recycling a batbox could give you back some wood, some cables and some of the batteries or for other things, since most use them, the circuits. Just an idea.

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• This is a great idea and would add a whole new element to the gameplay, i really like the idea of finding dilapidated industrial structures dotting the landscape and providing a little boost to your personal economy. The ruined machines sound pretty nice too.

+1

• That's because these buildings are just modern. we're living in the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTURRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ps. This is what the thread reminds me of.

As IndustrialCraft is a modern themed mod, it doesn't quite make sense to have "old" ruins of modern buildings ..

• I see lots of industrial "ruins" in my travels - and I can imagine that if I were somehow the Last Man on Earth, there'd be a lot more of them.

• I too agree that the concept of finding tech ruins would be exhilarating. They would have to be at a minimum decently rare, like pink sheep rare not endermen rare. The ruined cables being just raw cables do make sense. I also agree that finding the stuff in chests would likely make it overall much easier, I.E. modding the dungeon code instead of reinventing the wheel... err code.

• On a note u can add have ruined cables drop a special cable and have machine have a drop rate for a special machine block or special circuitry. These could be used for crafting other tech or adv tech so you mite have to save up and explore to make stuff so one ruin well not give all the stuff you need.

*edit* I have been in ruined factory too and it is a feeling that's had to come up with words for since you know at one point it was such a large and advanced undertaking when it was built but now lies in ruin. I would love to get that feel with something like this.