[IC2 Exp][1.7.10] Advanced Solar Panels v3.5.1 + Quantum Generator + Solar helmets !

• Official Post

I got an Exception for you!

Guess why it happened. Right, a certain GUI tried to read Texture/Name for a Solarpanel-ItemStack with MetaValue -1. Why would that happen you ask? Maybe because I made my Sorter now even working with Wildcard Damage Values. Please add range checks to all your Array-Calls for ItemNames and Textures.

Note that, I will add a crashpreventing test for anything what tries to get wildcard-valued, as even Redpower crashes due to that, and you know how slow Eloraam is at fixing Bugs.

• Hm... Ok i will add it in next release.

• Base recipe of ASP in hard and standart mode is same (exclude uran). Now is more balanced, than older version. 9 uu matter and 1 diamond not very expensive. 8 ASP must be more expensive than 1 HSP. Now 8 ASP = 1 HSP for Iridium cost. If my recipe is expensive, check GregTech solar recipe xD.

The problem there is your solar recipe requires the Gregtech recipe as well so if you run Gregtech adv solars are prohibitively expensive to the point I most likely will never make one so back to compact solars I go. Which is a shame really I liked your earlier recipe and I do like the cost of the solars in general they were expensive enough to be something you thought about making more than a few of, with Gregtech it was about right I felt for a low power production method you couldn't spam vast amounts of them but you could make a few to provide the standby power for the Adv machines mostly so the other genertors wouldn't drive me nuts with their constant lightshow and noise.. If you are open to the possibility of changing this, detecting if Gegtech is installed and adjusting the recipe to not require irridium would be welcomed I feel by quite a few people, especially considering that UU is, with Gregtech installed, a very precious commodity.

• Official Post

An excellent idea. People seem to not understand that not everyone likes Gregtech, or at least, the fact everything's so expensive.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Um I like Gregtech, what I am asking for is not having a double nerf on the cost of the adv solar if Gregtech is installed by requiring the more expensive basic solar as well as the more expensive adv solar recipe. The UU matter requirement with the Matterfab instead of the mass fab also puts the Adv solar cost at a point where it will never be made except as a crafting component of the higher tiers and even then the cost is that far out of a reasonable range that it is somewhat ludicrous and I really don't mind things costing an arm a leg and a couple internal organs.....when they have a significant effect on the aspect of gameplay they are related to which the Adv solar really doesn't, frankly it's almost pathetic.

• Actually I think the recipe of ASP is fine as it's now since if you remove the uum/iridium requirement people will just spam making ASP and skip the HSP completely. Noted that HSP and USP also need uum and iridium. The better suggestion is to just remove ASP as a solar panel and make it works more like an intermediate item to craft HSP and USP.

• Official Post

What most people forget about Solars is, that they produce INFINITE Energy for doing NOTHING. You just plomp them down and then you get about 256EU/t on average FOREVER. That's ruining the whole Fun of having a large Powerplant going, as this SINGLE Block, which can even be hidden Underground, will produce more than you need.

• What most people forget about Solars is, that they produce INFINITE Energy for doing NOTHING. You just plomp them down and then you get about 256EU/t on average FOREVER. That's ruining the whole Fun of having a large Powerplant going, as this SINGLE Block, which can even be hidden Underground, will produce more than you need.

Well with the cost change of this one with your matterfab by the time I can make them I won't bother because I will already have a couple of powerplants capable of producing somewhere around 1-2k Eu\tic anyway. Only reason I ever made any solar panels was to stop my generators of various sorts from constantly flicking on\off due to the standby power requirement of the Adv Machines, I don't personally like solars or any of the greengens I much prefer other complex system driven methods of generating power.

• Official Post

Well with the cost change of this one with your matterfab by the time I can make them I won't bother because I will already have a couple of powerplants capable of producing somewhere around 1-2k Eu\tic anyway. Only reason I ever made any solar panels was to stop my generators of various sorts from constantly flicking on\off due to the standby power requirement of the Adv Machines, I don't personally like solars or any of the greengens I much prefer other complex system driven methods of generating power.

I'm another one that dislike solars, due its easy place and afk.
    Also you can solve generator flickering on/off using redstone gates and such...

• I'm another one that dislike solars, due its easy place and afk.
    Also you can solve generator flickering on/off using redstone gates and such...

I used to be a Solar Placer, I've slowly been weening myself off of them through use of GregTech thanks to that nuts solar recipe (thanks Greg). The only reason I still use Compact Solars and Adv. Solars is in conjunction with Geothermal Generators to act as back-up power for my more intensive operations. I now use Reactors (IC2 Fission & GT's Fusion when I can afford the ignition costs) as my main power source once I can afford them.

Although, now I go back on myself with this, once I can afford it, I usually carry around 1 or 2 HV Solars of Ult. Hybrid Panels to give myself a jumpstart in a new area if I have to move base for whatever reason, then they go back to back-up power sources.

• What most people forget about Solars is, that they produce INFINITE Energy for doing NOTHING. You just plomp them down and then you get about 256EU/t on average FOREVER. That's ruining the whole Fun of having a large Powerplant going, as this SINGLE Block, which can even be hidden Underground, will produce more than you need.

And maybe you fail to realize that to make the ultimate panel to do that it requires 450/545 UUM(normal/hard) so 450/545 Million EU. Even if you were running 64 geothermals at 24/7 full up time with 20tps it would take 12.2/15 real life days to produce the first one. Oh and this is all to increase your EU production by about 1/5th or a little lower. Oh and to pay it back multiply that 12.2/15 by 5.

Oh but if you had my mod installed you could just mine the iridium! Yes go mine 64 iridium but don't forget on hardmode it would take total 9.1 BILLION EU to make something that produces 256(less because of rain) EU/t. So for every iridium you mine you can take of 100 Million EU. So much "better" right? Oh let's not forget how long it would take to pay that back. Something like 1.5 real life years of 24/7 running?

• Official Post

And maybe you fail to realize that to make the ultimate panel to do that it requires 450/545 UUM(normal/hard) so 450/545 Million EU. Even if you were running 64 geothermals at 24/7 full up time with 20tps it would take 12.2/15 real life days to produce the first one. Oh and this is all to increase your EU production by about 1/5th or a little lower. Oh and to pay it back multiply that 12.2/15 by 5.

Oh but if you had my mod installed you could just mine the iridium! Yes go mine 64 iridium but don't forget on hardmode it would take total 9.1 BILLION EU to make something that produces 256(less because of rain) EU/t. So for every iridium you mine you can take of 100 Million EU. So much "better" right? Oh let's not forget how long it would take to pay that back. Something like 1.5 real life years of 24/7 running?

So if thats too expensive for you, then why dont you just make a Solar Plant with regular Panels? The point of compact Solar Panels is only that you can carry them around everywhere, to set up a mobile Energy Source anywhere (even underground if done right), or just to save space.

• So if thats too expensive for you, then why dont you just make a Solar Plant with regular Panels? The point of compact Solar Panels is only that you can carry them around everywhere, to set up a mobile Energy Source anywhere (even underground if done right), or just to save space.

Actually it's to reduce the lag monster that is the standard panel.The best analogy I can find for these panels is this:

Exasperation on FTB forums:

"You know, the Advanced Solar Panels maintainer has inspired me with
    their sense of balance, and I've come around to their way of thinking.
    So now, out of the goodness of my heart and in the same spirit of fair
    play as the new and improved Advanced Solar Panel recipe, I'm going to
    make the following offer*, which should appeal to everyone who likes the
    new recipe:

If you send me $1,000, I will send you $2 a year every year for the
    rest of my life. That's free, guaranteed income, that you don't have to
    work for at all! In fact, I'm such a nice guy that I'll let you take
    advantage of this marvelous offer as many times as you like! Send me
    $10,000 and I'll send you $20 a year! You could potentially earn
    unlimited** amounts of money from this deal! Hey, wait! Where are you
    going? Don't you want all this free money?

* Not a real offer.

** Provided scientists discover how to make me immortal.
    "

If you and the creator of this mod think that's a good idea; please take that deal in rl to the point you don't have enough money
    to pay for internet so you don't make mods anymore.

• Are you whining because of the latest change in Advanced solar panel recipe? If so then before the change was made, why didn't you whine about USP and HSP? they need iridium to make. and ofc you didn't.. because you could spam ASP like crazy.

The previous ASP didn't need any iridium, that's why the recipe was imbalance and 8 ASP was MUCH MOAR cheaper than 1 HSP, if the recipe was not changed, people would rather spam making ASP then HSP, you only need 64 to get 512 eu/t, 640 for 5120 which is enough to get stacks of uum even in GT default mode, I'd probably only make USP if I wanted that ultimate solar helmet. Some guys from mindcrack could make dozens of USP because of the exploit of platinum from rich slag, if there was no any exploit like that, they would need to go IC2 nuclear reactor or other.

If you are whining about GT 16,666,666 eu/uum; you can always change your config, or just enable the mass fabricator for your 166k eu/uum, I'm pretty sure you can get stacks of uum in a couple of days with only draining the nether or any decent nuclear reactor.

I think the mod was not made so you could get easy eu.

• Are you whining because of the latest change in Advanced solar panel recipe? If so then before the change was made, why didn't you whine about USP and HSP? they need iridium to make. and ofc you didn't.. because you could spam ASP like crazy.

The previous ASP didn't need any iridium, that's why the recipe was imbalance and 8 ASP was MUCH MOAR cheaper than 1 HSP, if the recipe was not changed, people would rather spam making ASP then HSP, you only need 64 to get 512 eu/t, 640 for 5120 which is enough to get stacks of uum even in GT default mode, I'd probably only make USP if I want that ultimate solar helmet. The guy from mindcrack could have dozens of USP because of the exploit of platinum from rich slag, if there was no any exploit like that, they would need to go IC2 nuclear reactor.

If you are whining about GT 16,666,666 eu/uum; you can always change your config, or just enable the mass fabricator for your 166k eu/uum, I'm pretty sure you can get stacks of uum in a couple of days with only draining the nether or any decent nuclear reactor.

The problem is you people who think the solars are OP. Almost every base energy is production is still better than the solars. The base solars are better than the compact ones. I never complained before because I'd never used the mod before. The recipes, if they have been the way they are, are pointless. Any idiot who makes these solars is a fool and will almost always lose out on power unless you play an excessive amount of time. With GT enabled on default your solars will never in the time you play pay themselves back as it takes more than a real life year per ultimate to generate enough energy to be at the "free" point. An array of basic generators will always outperform any array of solar panels from any mod given a sufficient source of fuel which is a palpable matter.

• I think the mod was not even made so you can get free eu very easily (you can do that with over-engineered windmills, geo gen, nuclear reactor, power converter+ boiler, etc), it's more like a compact power system.

• I think the mod was not even made so you can get free eu very easily
    (you can do that with over-engineered windmills), it's more like a
    compact power system. If you need burst amount of energy, there're
    better ways to do it.

You don't get any energy at all. All the
    power systems pay themselves off faster. It is unlikely you will play
    the same world long enough for the solars from this mod to pay for
    themselves and get to the point that they become profitable. There is
    never a valid reason to build them as it stands.