[IC2 Exp][1.7.10] Advanced Solar Panels v3.5.1 + Quantum Generator + Solar helmets !

• hm, assuming that you don't use GT, with the current ASP: you need 9 uum (2 for the sunnarium, 7 for iridium). so you need 166,666*9 = 1499994 eu for 1 ASP; assuming 20 tps, say effective eu/t = 4 eu/t (1 eu at night, 8 eu at day, and sometimes you have rain) so you need....

1499994 eu / (80 eu/sec) / 3600 (sec/hours) = 5.2 hours. after that 5.2 hours, that 8 eu/t is free for you, you can move it anywhere you want without even thinking about re-fueling them.

and then for the second one assuming you already get the free energy from the first ASP: 1499994/ (160 eu/sec) / 3600 = 2.6 hours.
    ... after the 10th; 1499994/800 eu/sec/3600 = 31 minutes.

If you are using GT default mode, I'm certain that you won't use this mod for main power system, more like a battery that you can carry everywhere (for GT automation perhaps)

• I really like this mod, and keep up the good work. I like that it's expensive, which makes sense as it's completely free power it will make energy indefinitely and without cost besides that of making the panel. But it'd be awesome if there were different upgrades to the panels themselves, or maybe requiring that different parts of the panels be repaired every once in a while.

• New carbon plates be put in to replace the structure of the panel.
    • New electrodes to gather the electrons when they are excited by the solar radiation. More electrodes could decrease the voltage output but increase the number of packets as the energy is spread out more (UHSP outputs 1 packet of 512 eu/t with 1 electrode, but with 4, it'll output 4 packets of 128 eu/t), though this could be done with transformers, but i guess it'd cut down on space.
    • A gui to select how many electrodes you want the panel using at a time, and a built in inventory to store the electrodes and replace them as they are used up and wear out. The more electrodes in the panel, the slower they would wear out. The crafing recipe could be like:

:Cable: = insulated copper wire :Glass Fibre: = uninsulated copper wire
    :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre:
    :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: --> 2(?) electrodes
    :Glass Fibre: :Cable: :Glass Fibre:
    the forums reformatted the crafting recipe, it is 3 uninsulated copper wire on each side and 1 insulated copper wire on the bottom middle.

• Lunar upgrade, increasing the wave frequency the solar panel accounts for, so it slightly increases the night time output. But it sometimes messes with the daytime energy collection. Helps keep energy coming in, so huge energy buffers arent necessary to keep things going. Maybe endstone as some component of it, as it has been exposed to space radiation, etc.
    • A smart grid system upgrade, so that the panels can send eu along to the next one and so on, so there arent lots of cables under the solar panel (and so that electrodes, etc could be resupplied to the panels via pipes. I have a feeling it might cause lag with pathfinding algorithms, im not sure... i think the e net (or something along those lines) accounts for that. Maybe the recipe could be along the lines of:

None of these represent anything other than what they are
    :Glass Fibre: :Electronic Circuit: :Glass Fibre: --> 2(?) smart grid upgrades
    the forums "reformatted" the crafting recipe above, it's 3 glass fiber cable on each side, and 1 electronic circuit in the center.

I suppose different panels would need repair more or less often, as some absorb more radiation than others. That's all i could come up with right now.

Edit 1 and 2: Ugh. the forums removed my tabs. Fixed ....... ok... not fixed, but added info for recipe structure.
    Edit 3: sorry if this isnt in the right place. went to the suggestions forum, but couldnt find much of what is said after searching.

• Official Post

How expensive are you wanting the panels? The more you make them expensive, the less use they become.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• And with Gregtech it takes almost 3 RL weeks to pay itself off.

LOL. One of the point of GT was to make UUM less OP. So I would answer:
    1) If you're thinking to each generators in terms of UUM, then you're already lost ^^. Whats the point of mining once you can get everything very easily using UUM ? GT just makes UUM non-breaking the whole mining system of MC.
    2) UUM is nerfed by GT, right. But, the point is, it also add tons of way to use EU to optimize your ressources, to exploits those in a better way: what are Aluminum, electrum, Lava Centrifuging, Silicon Plate, Industrial Grinders and such for you ? Way to get more stuff with energy. That's kind of the point of UUM, except in GT it's quite harder to get everything UUMable with GT machines, but it just makes the game enjoyable much longer.
    3) I'm saying that, because I already ended 6 servers because of easy UM + greengens making the point of MC (mining) useless. Of course you can also build and do something else in MC, than mining. But if you really want to do that, then Creative is more appropriate to do so.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Hello boys and girls now i proud to present you new update !
    ChangeLog of Advanced Solar Panels 3.3.4:
    + Added 3 new Solar Helmets (Advanced Solar Helmet , Hybrid Solar Helmet, Ultimate Solar Helmet). Charge yours electric devices such as same Solar Panels !
    + Added "simple (old) recipe" of Advanced Solar Panel. You can enable it in config file, if you think that iridium very expensive :) I hope this will stop the world war xD
    + Added visual indication working mode of Quantum Generator and also replaced old texture.
    + Fixed bug: Solar Panels not emit energy if power loss in cable more than 5 eu.
    + Fixed visual bug with shift mouse click in charging slots and charging electric device.

• Official Post

+ Added "simple (old) recipe" of Advanced Solar Panel. You can enable it in config file, if you think that iridium very expensive :) I hope this will stop the world war xD

Yes, you listened! Thank you! :thumbup:

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

+ Added 3 new Solar Helmets (Advanced Solar Helmet , Hybrid Solar Helmet, Ultimate Solar Helmet). Charge yours electric devices such as same Solar Panels !

Hats as well? This mod is now perfect. :D

Actually, after seeing the new Creative Panel texture, maybe not :)

I see this too much.

• Without GregTech (9x UUM at 166,667 EU per UUM): 2 hours and 36 minutes to break even
    With GregTech (9x UUM at 16,666,667 EU per UUM): 10 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes to break even
    With GregTech if you get your iridium from elsewhere (2x UUM at 16,666,667 EU per UUM): 2 days, 9 hours, and 52 minutes to break even

All of these numbers assume it never rains and you always sleep through the night so the ASP is generating 8 EU/t constantly.

I mean, yes, the ASP needed a nerf, but this is too extreme. With GT, even if I get my iridium from ores or bees, it's still going to take nearly 58 hours (in the best-case scenario) before the ASP stops being a net negative. If I play Minecraft for 2 hours a day, it will take a month.

As others have said, Greg didn't want UUM to replace mining, which is why he nerfed UUM and added iridium/platinum ores to the worldgen...which means that when you make UUM an essential crafting ingredient of something, you dramatically throw off the game balance for everyone who uses GregTech.

I understand that you probably intended to balance it for "vanilla" IC2, and that's fine. But look at it realistically for a minute: The vast majority of people who play modded Minecraft right now are using Feed The Beast. There are three FTB modpacks that include Advanced Solars...and all three also include GregTech. So, while I'm sure there are some people out there who are using vanilla IC2 + Advanced Solars and happily breaking even at the nicely balanced 2.5-hour mark, those people are likely a small minority compared to those who are using your mod in conjunction with GregTech.

"I added a config option" is fine and dandy, but your mod should be usable by and balanced for the vast majority of your users by default.

• I like the fact that this uses UUM in combination with GT. It makes solar farms a proper decision.
    I personally run UUM at a 100M cost per unit, and am not having any issue supplying UU for Solars when I need it. Think of solars more as a convenience than a dedicated supply line.
    A decent sized factory will require around a 2-3k dedicated power line running constantly. (Assuming GT) meaning 6-9 HV Solars and a decent power buffer for night running.

Or you could simply run a few Nuclear Gens, RC steam is cheap (Even with steel replacement, just go mining for a few minutes every few days)
    Without a prohibitively high cost on solar everyone just solar spams.

Especially in a server environment.

• Btw, can we have another recipe set that doesn't require uum (but have iridium in it) ? I think it will be more balance for both GT and non-GT users.

thanks..

• Official Post

After about a week and a bit of playing on an FTB Ultimate server, i managed to get a matter Fab up with a small Thorium reactor, I just got the Advanced solar panel, and im waiting for 6 more uu to get the Hybrid. If only we had the solar helmets >.>

• New electrodes to gather the electrons when they are excited by the solar radiation. More electrodes could decrease the voltage output but increase the number of packets as the energy is spread out more (UHSP outputs 1 packet of 512 eu/t with 1 electrode, but with 4, it'll output 4 packets of 128 eu/t), though this could be done with transformers, but i guess it'd cut down on space.

That and servers WILL NOT go well together.

• I've been with this addon since it was version 3.0.0 and always entered here first when I had to look the ic2 forum.
    I wished that this mod couldn't be forgotten.... Because it got abandoned. And here are you! :)
    AWESOME!!

• Hey... Great mod I love it and I love your other mod (vajra, etc)
    But I was thinking maybe you could add higher tier Solars... You've probably heard this a million times but maybe:
    Tier 5: output of either 1024 or2048 (depending on recipe)
    Tier 6: adjustable kind of like Greg's AESU
    AND within the recipes you could add stuff from gregtech if the person has it installed (like use his AESU in the tier 6 solar) etc etc
    Thanks for reading and have a nice day

• Official Post

Does advanced solars and compacted solars work when both are installed

Yes, as long as the IDs don't clash (which they shouldn't)

I see this too much.