Suggestion: Plaster/Render (not sure about english term)

• Name:
    Plaster or Render, something along those lines - that is, in case one of these terms is applicable.

Description:
    So to first make sure what I am talking about, I mean basically the material houses nowadays are built with on the outside. The basic idea would revolve around a non-burnable material, possibly in different colours, to avoid building houses with wool just because there's no other way to give it any colour - very specific and probably not quite high on the priority list, but yeah, that's basically my suggestion.

Recipe:
    Good question. Maybe some combination of sand or sandstone, water, maybe even a totally new material like lime or chalk (though that might be a bit too much effort - on the other hand that material could also be used otherwise then)

so probably something like this:

s=sand w=water bucket
    s
    w = 4x plaster
    s

• That would be incredibly awesome! I actually wasn't sure if paintable blocks would be too much coding effort. Then again, there's the cable obscurator... :)

• Official Post

That would be incredibly awesome! I actually wasn't sure if paintable blocks would be too much coding effort. Then again, there's the cable obscurator... :)

Painting blocks is piece a cake, even without using TEs... (as cable obscurator shows). The only issue would be balance... 1 dye used per block side would be stupid XD

• In terms to paint, what if you combine one dye with a bucket of water and can colour four blocks on all sides before returning an empty bucket?

And if a paintbrush is needed:

(W)(W)(W)
    ( I )(S)( )
    ( )(S)( )

W=Wool (White)
    I=Iron (or other metal
    S=Stick

• Official Post

Painted walls will definitely come. I've already coded Painters (crafted with 2 iron and 3 wool, you can then fill them with a dye for 16 uses) to mark cables (for close-space wiring). Implementing it onto another block won't be an issue.
    I however still need to find a good way of implementing said block, most likely concrete.

• How about being able to paint pre-placed wool blocks? I know it's kind of cheating, with 1 dye lasting 16 uses, but still, it's a logical thing to do, and it's not like colored wool is some extremely valuable resource.

• Unless you make it only extract 1/16th of a dye from each wool block! ;)
    Of course, it would take 2 crafting actions to combine 16 dye 'particles' back into a whole dye. But that's the price you pay to get your dyes back, I guess.

Or you could make extracting color add a use to your painter, but that might be getting too complicated for such a small feature.

• Official Post

This is a bit much, but run with me on this one. How about making the painter a spraycan style backpack device, needing an accompanying tool in your quickbar. You could put raw dye into the backpack (by holding and rightclicking for a gui) and it would extract the dye, essentially turning it into paint. Could add an electrical component in the form of requiring batteries or something. Overkill, I know, but I thought it would be cool. :D

• Official Post

This is a bit much, but run with me on this one. How about making the painter a spraycan style backpack device, needing an accompanying tool in your quickbar. You could put raw dye into the backpack (by holding and rightclicking for a gui) and it would extract the dye, essentially turning it into paint. Could add an electrical component in the form of requiring batteries or something. Overkill, I know, but I thought it would be cool. :D

The problem always is, i can only store a single value in an item... either color or power.
    IT's the reason you didn't get an Electric painter to start with ^^'

And it's for me still impossible to code a SAVING Gui into an Item.

• Painter? SWEET!!!
    Curious, is it possible to make the painter do textures as well?
    Make a "wood" house, that is actually a concrete house with a wood texture painted over.
    This would be useful to make structures that would not burn down easily and would be durable.

As far has how to put this in the actual game however, I am not sure. Solid colors are easy as you can use dyes. This texture idea (if it is possible) would be a bit harder.

• Official Post

Painter? SWEET!!!
    Curious, is it possible to make the painter do textures as well?
    Make a "wood" house, that is actually a concrete house with a wood texture painted over.
    This would be useful to make structures that would not burn down easily and would be durable.

As far has how to put this in the actual game however, I am not sure. Solid colors are easy as you can use dyes. This texture idea (if it is possible) would be a bit harder.

The texture idea could be well possible. I could add a tool which will refer to the next block in your actionbar, and apply the texture of it to the "paintable block" you clicked.
    However, a big issue would be MCForges Texture override... a block can only grap textures from one file... you couldnt mix up vanilly and IC sprites, thus i would probably have to pick one.

• ...primer?

Eloraam's RedPower mod lets you put cables on walls and ceiling, which makes me wonder if that "place anywhere" code can't be re-purposed to put some kinda primer-object on everything, which can be subsequently painted.

I mean, currently the Painter just colors an existing item. Would it be easy enough to add another "color" that instead places primer on stuff? Or is it going to have to be a separate item?