[Suggestion]A funky energy idea where you steal from universes. (Kinda like that one Stargate episode.)

• This is for big plants... for people who need to push the boundaries of what is possible to get more power. Crazy people, if you will. And because it's possible. For science.

You say that 300 million EU is a totally ridiculous amount? I'd like to tell you it isn't. It's a totally reasonable amount. Some SMP servers have such enormous solar arrays that people are pulling in over 4096 EU/t in a completely harmless manner. That generates some serious, serious power (and lag). If you are going to have something that generates power in a dangerous manner, it better provide benefits that are higher than what the safe options have. That is why people use nuclear reactors, because although they can be dangerous they can also generate a huge amount of power.

To put it in perspective, 10 million EU will buy you 10 UUM. That is about 1 diamond. 150 million EU (probably around the cost to run the reactor) would have bought you 150 UUM (I doubt you'd have the scrap to make this more efficient), about 16 diamonds worth. So the Rift generator provides you with about 16 diamonds worth of power over the course of one VERY hectic day. Not unreasonable.

Also, hopefully you put this thing away from other peoples' houses. :)

• Well, I DID think this up while drunk, so it might be a little OP. I just thought that having Project Arcturus in IC2 would be awesome. And besides, 300 million isn't that unreasonable, as some awesome people pointed out. I have a (planned) nuclear reactor that could generate 23 trillion Eu/t. Also, thanks everyone for giving this so much attention. I didn't know he announced the SPACE thing until I clicked on this thread.

• hmmmm if this gets implemented then ic2 will have a powersource capable of powering my warp drive suggestion :D /jk i'm happy with base-in-a-box

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Well, I DID think this up while drunk, so it might be a little OP. I just thought that having Project Arcturus in IC2 would be awesome. And besides, 300 million isn't that unreasonable, as some awesome people pointed out. I have a (planned) nuclear reactor that could generate 23 trillion Eu/t. Also, thanks everyone for giving this so much attention. I didn't know he announced the SPACE thing until I clicked on this thread.

This is a great idea, wait, 23t eu/t? HOW?

• I like how we've mentioned Project Arcturus, Zero Point Modules, Antimatter, and the Dimensional Bridge from stargate, yet noone has mentioned Naquadah....

i mean, ZPM's are nothing more than insanely big batteries... as I understand it, once created they can't be recharged ( that we know of), but Naquadah reactors, at least as far as we know, provide much more power than a nuclear reactor (According to the "Description of" page, a Tau'ri built one has the explosive force of around 20 kilotons, in a device small enough to be man carried) but as Naquadah is rare, having something similar in wouldn't be too OP.... plus since it amplifies energy, it'd make mining it a whole lot more interesting...

I mean, I use ITNT for mining.... which if I accidentally hit a pocket of Naquadah ore (or if someone was overly sadistic, Naquadria, which is realllllly unstable as hell) would result in a big boom. Be more dangerous to mine, no?

BTW, and a little off topic, I'm surprised no one has proposed or really made any star gate themed Mods yet... I mean, It'd be cool if the teleporters were ring platforms, no? Plus it'd be fun to fire a Ma'tok staff at creepers....

• naquadah reactors may be OP but Naquadria has some unique properties that we can use for balance namely the whole "heavier the load the more likely it will blow up" thing

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• You say that 300 million EU is a totally ridiculous amount? I'd like to tell you it isn't. It's a totally reasonable amount. Some SMP servers have such enormous solar arrays that people are pulling in over 4096 EU/t in a completely harmless manner. That generates some serious, serious power (and lag). If you are going to have something that generates power in a dangerous manner, it better provide benefits that are higher than what the safe options have. That is why people use nuclear reactors, because although they can be dangerous they can also generate a huge amount of power.

I don't say that is ridiculous amount... i simply say that a single player will take the risk and the effort to build such a thing only for the satisfaction to say "i build it", because he never use all that power alone... i can't imagine an use for fully impiegate this machine in single player, it's 10 times more dangerous than a casuc and give me so much power that i must craft 30 MFSUs only for take 1 DAY running... is too much...

and by the way i don't understand if your idea is to make it "first start and go forever" or ciclical, forcing u to shut off and restart like nuclear make...

• This is may outdated but a Stargatemod.

there is also a Multi-Verse mod where you can set up lots of different Worlds and custom make portals between them, not sure if it is kept up to date but i used to use it on my SMP server to allow The Nether to be accessed before The Nether was added to SMP, i also made a cirlce portal to take you to a Sphere World, and a waterfall portal to take you to a huge mountain and ocean world. i wanted to add a Cavern Modded World to it to but didn;t get the chance.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• ya. I really like stargates sg1. I think im going to get into it in my next world :D make mining laser texture into one from SG and add rings out of slabs around teleporter, ill use new wold hight to make space ship and i would love to fully destroy The End and be able to teleport into it using teleporter. The End looks so like space. Well at least some how to get that portal out of strong hold ;D well... My dreams... Sweet... ;)

• its really hard to texture this thing in 16x16 nicely. I have the shape but idk what colors to chose and how to make it smooth n nice

karltate.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/kt-zatclosed-leftgrid.jpg

• I don't say that is ridiculous amount... i simply say that a single player will take the risk and the effort to build such a thing only for the satisfaction to say "i build it", because he never use all that power alone... i can't imagine an use for fully impiegate this machine in single player, it's 10 times more dangerous than a casuc and give me so much power that i must craft 30 MFSUs only for take 1 DAY running... is too much...

and by the way i don't understand if your idea is to make it "first start and go forever" or ciclical, forcing u to shut off and restart like nuclear make...

Well, it wouldn't be fair to generate that much power forever. The idea would be to add risk to running such a machine. If it runs for too long it essentially "overheats" and there is no way you can fix it without turning it off. After charging for a day or to to open the rift, it would begin overheating over the course of a day (12 minutes). During this time it would be outputting roughly 17000 EU/t. This could be safely managed with a new, high-bandwidth cable and about 9-10 Extreme voltage transformers. I'd say use the cable already in the Rocket Science mod, the superconducting cable made of gold/carbonfiber/redstone. Heck, if you want to make a complicated, difficult to set up machine, you might as well require another reactor (fusion or nuclear) to start the rift generator.

It would be amusing to see routine safety inspections to each person's base on SMP. : )

• A mess of redstone, RedPower, and Mark V's.

OT: The naquadah souds like fun. Of course, it would need some sort of use. Maybe a naquadah bomb?

You mean, you want it to do more than turn a regular old nuke into a bomb from hell as well as amplifying any power sources its exposed to? 8| I like how you think.......

• Official Post

This Idea must be implemented in a logical order after some other Energytechnologys:

Fusionreactor
    Naquadahreactor
    Naquadriareactor
    Antimattereactor
    Quantumreactor
    a Blackhole based Energyproductionmethod
    Antimatterchainreactor (much more Powerful and Destructive than the Normal one, but can destroy all the Matter of the Universe)
    ZPM
    Project Arcturas original
    Project Arcturas by McKay (this Idea)
    Paralleluniverse-Carters "steal a bit out of every Universe"-Idea
    Perpetuum Mobile (Ultimate Endgame)

So i don't see why that should be implemented BEFORE ALL THIS. And the Fusionreactor got rejected so...

You will definetly receive a NO, to make that clear.

• I'm late to the party, but I was thinking about this a little. So the idea is generate power while assaulting another universe as a necessary side-effect... like the Nether? The logical backlash is that ghasts, blazes, and zombie pigman armies start spawning rapidly in order to prevent their wholesale annihilation. It seems intimidating at first, but I imagine a clever player would have a grinder prepared and sit back to enjoy a pork chop dinner. With no drawback in sight, it just gets ridiculous.

• sg1 skipped straight to naquadria before doubling back for naquadah and fusion :) I believe they called it their "shortcut to hyperspace technology"? also even with the carter version project arcturas its incomplete because eventually you will load up a universe that is doing something on the other side that makes a big boom. now if you combine parallel-carters idea with elderly-homeuniverse-carters "reverse a time dilation field" idea you can use the energy released from the explosion to send information back in time to tell the machine "skip over this universe"

• sg1 skipped straight to naquadria before doubling back for naquadah and fusion :) I believe they called it their "shortcut to hyperspace technology"? also even with the carter version project arcturas its incomplete because eventually you will load up a universe that is doing something on the other side that makes a big boom. now if you combine parallel-carters idea with elderly-homeuniverse-carters "reverse a time dilation field" idea you can use the energy released from the explosion to send information back in time to tell the machine "skip over this universe"

Wrong; they used Naquadah reactors BEFORE they used Naquadria. And IDK what you're talking about with regards to the stuff about carter....