[Suggestion] Machine wear/breakdown mechanic

• I would love to see a machine usage wear/eventual breakdown mechanic introduced to IC2 or included in an optional add-on or config setting. as they are now, once constructed, machines will last forever without wearing out or breaking down. This limits the economic market for buying/selling machines, since once a player has acquired a machine once, they never need to buy one again and have no reason to sell their old one.

My initial concept would be to introduce a 'health bar' to machines much like the health bar on tools. However, instead of having a fixed number of uses after which they are guaranteed to break as tools do, I would have machines carry a per-operation-completed chance of breakdown, the odds of which start at 0% at full health and slowly get worse as the machine accumulates usage wear. The effect of a breakdown would be the same as a failed wrench use. I would add the health bar of the machine to the right-click gui, as well as the inventory slot decal as with breakable tools. I would also add a number-of-completed-operations counter to the right click gui.

The developers can decide whether to have fixed or configurable settings for machine wear. My definitions are my suggestions, and can certainly be tweaked if it makes sense to do so. variables to define would be:

Total Uses (number of uses to go from 100% health to 0% health, I'd say 1562 as default [about 24.4 stacks])

Linear or Tired breakdown chance (linear is 0% chance from 100%-90% health, increasing linearly from 1% chance of breakdown per operation at 89% health to 20% chance of breakdown per operation at 0% health.)

Tiered would use config-defined tiers to determine chance of breakage. for example, 100%-90% health, 0% breakage chance. 89%-60%, 5% chance, 59%-30%, 10% chance, 29-10%, 15% chance, 9%-0%, 20% chance. If tiered setup is undefined, config would default to linear.

I feel that inclusion of this breakdown mechanic would add value and depth to gameplay and facilitate improved SMP player interaction and marketability of IC2 machines, HAYO!
    :Trade-O-Mat: :Industrial Credit: :Industrial Credit: :Industrial Credit: :Industrial Credit: :Trade-O-Mat:

• Weird enough i find the "Wear" mechanic to be interesting and that it could "probably" be extended to regular items like drills and nano/quantum armor.

Simply because the world is filled with so many resources and i find it to be a waste to only worrying about getting those once in your entire stay on that world. Spare Parts and the such would give people even more reason to mine around and have reserves of materials that they will actually use.

• personally i don't want it cause it will limit the time I have to make awesome looking stuff.
    if it ever happens it should just be an addon and nothing more.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• I'm happy with replacing war losses, so if I have to do that, without some kind of good extra buff to my healthy well-olied machines, no thanks.

Thats a idea more for SSP or for ever-happy-nonPvP servers.

• It would take some getting used too, it should defiantly have a Config option though.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• i like it but hmm you should just be able to se how much dmg and then some cost to repair the dmg on the machine then it's fine

• Maybe if you wanted something similar to a 'hardcore' form of IC... but not for standard play...

Personally, I'm quite against such masochistic game play mechanics.. but it is interesting for realism sake at least...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Actually i like the idea! it adds that little bit of bitter realism that i miss on ic. and would be a new branch of ic economy (spare part factories and shops)

• i agree with nanomanz this is going to screw up automated factories

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• its a drastic change from what people expect in no way should this be the default. like MagusUnion said maybe for hardcore mode but not standard play

• I like this Idea, but since many factory fans will complain after all their hard earned machines are rusted to crap, maybe a config line that says:

enableMachineRust=False (true for machine wear and tear if you're a hardcore fan while false disables it, false by default)

to enable this feature.

• My initial concept would be to introduce a 'health bar' to machines much like the health bar on tools. However, instead of having a fixed number of uses after which they are guaranteed to break as tools do, I would have machines carry a per-operation-completed chance of breakdown, the odds of which start at 0% at full health and slowly get worse as the machine accumulates usage wear. The effect of a breakdown would be the same as a failed wrench use. I would add the health bar of the machine to the right-click gui, as well as the inventory slot decal as with breakable tools. I would also add a number-of-completed-operations counter to the right click gui.

... Did you understand the basic Idea of IC² ? And before IC², IC ? The aim was to make tools more efficient, and UNBREAKABLE at the cost of the energy. Do a furnace break ? No. So should machine break, when tools won't because of what I already said ? I don't think so.

If you want to create economy on your server, the most efficient would be to create machine adding few advantages to player, like "energy", added on your hunger bar, that you could reload with, for example Shower (we aren't these dirty Steves using pickaxe and dying because of disease, we've got IC² ^^), Heater or others machine that could create something similar to our "Post World War Economic Growth". I think that would be easier.
    But it has already been suggested/denied I guess.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I'm not sure what to think -- on the one hand, the idea of having to fix machines sounds fun, but it could be annoying and tedious. I definitely agree with it being a config-disable mechanic, though. Perhaps -- if this is implemented, all breakable machines run, say, 20% faster, but every breakable machine gets a "reliability" variable which has a random chance to decrement with every operation -- when it reaches 0, a unique sound plays and the machine is replaced with a 'broken' variant, same inventory but radically different texture and no enet connection. Craftable spare parts could be used to fix them in-world -- right-click on a broken machine with spare parts consumes the item but restores the machine. There also might be a craftable 'reliability' upgrade as well. (Right-clicking w/spare parts also lets RP Deployers automatically fix broken machines).

• if wear is added machine will no longer stack different ideas have been rejected for doing the same thing