[Suggestion] Make IC2 modular

• Some other mods, notably RP2, are broken up into different modules, with some being optional and others having dependencies. I think this is something that IC2 would benefit from.

Yes, there are config options to turn off some things, so if for example I believe that quantum armour is completely overpowered or too buggy to allow, I can disable it. The Bukkit port gives us even more options to disable specific recipes. I know that just mentioning Bukkit triggers knee jerks the likes of which the Russian synchro-swimming team would die for, but you're going to be forced to use it or its descendants from 1.4, so may as well get used to it.

But there are still numerous things I can't disable, and some of those things occur in groups of functionality. Someone running an IC2 server may have the opinion that his world doesn't benefit from a group, or that a group doesn't mesh well with the other mods being used, but still wants to have fun with another area of IC2.

Something like this:

IC2 Core (not optional) - additional ores, basic resources, basic machines, basic energy generation, energy net/cabling
    IC2 Advanced - Teleporters, Terraformer, Mass Fab, Tesla Coil (depends on Core)
    IC2 Armour and Backpacks (depends on Advanced)
    IC2 Electric Tools (depends on Armour)
    IC2 Crops, Food, Drinks (depends on Core)

Blocks and items go in the module that requires them. For example, rubber is required for cabling, and rubber trees are required for rubber, so rubber trees have to be a part of Core. But nothing is dependent on Coffee or Booze, and nothing outside of crops themselves is dependent on the Dupenalyser, so they can all go in the same module.

I have some idea of how much work this would be, and how hostile this forum is to suggestions, so I'm not hopeful; just throwing it out there.

• No! The number one thing I hate about buiildcraft and redpower is that it IS broken up into modules. If you end up doing this, devs, please make it so you can download them all at once.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Drama much?

• I just have one question...why? We now have a working 4096 block ID fix integrated into forge itself, so the only real reason(saving block IDs) I would see for IC2 for being module based is gone. For quantum armor, whiners gonna whine.

• I happen to know that Mensrea disabled quantum armor on Industrial War without using bukkit or other similar things, it was something to do with changing the block ids of quantum to existing block ids

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• No! The number one thing I hate about buiildcraft and redpower is that it IS broken up into modules. If you end up doing this, devs, please make it so you can download them all at once.

Exactly -- If I want to install all of redpower, I have to install literally 7 different files. It's literally the whole reason I don't have buildcraft installed -- I don't care to spend my time downloading 6 different files when there's (in my eyes) no non-"screw you user" reason to make me do so.

• If I didn't think that I would getting banned for doing so, I'd list all the possible things that may have happened to you in your past for you to come up with a suggestion as idiotic as this...

But I'll just end my post with a strong handed, shotgun loaded, direct NO.

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Please, I'd rather it isn't. Downloading RedPower, 7 (or 8) files each with an adf.ly link. Lets say 10K people use RedPower (and don't use it in stolen form *cough*technic*cough*), that comes to 350,000 seconds (or 400,000) per update. 97 hours of people's time wasted. I imagine Eloraam at least on a sub conscious level does this because she/he gets 7 or 8 times the money per user. Downloading IC2 is always a relief because it takes one download, one clearly named jar (also I never change the IC2 configs, as far as I care the other mods must make room for it, not the other way round).
    As Steve Jobs showed (I'm not a mac lover, but my phone priorities go: 1. iPhone,2. Nokia,3. one of the above) people like simplicity, imagine if Windows came in seperate disks for every functionality and they were named obscure things like "control" (which gave you the right click menu, totally not a reference to the fact that I have played with RP2 for half a year+ and still don't know what half the packages actually are).

• Please, I'd rather it isn't. Downloading RedPower, 7 (or 8) files each with an adf.ly link. Lets say 10K people use RedPower (and don't use it in stolen form *cough*technic*cough*), that comes to 350,000 seconds (or 400,000) per update. 97 hours of people's time wasted. I imagine Eloraam at least on a sub conscious level does this because she/he gets 7 or 8 times the money per user. Downloading IC2 is always a relief because it takes one download, one clearly named jar (also I never change the IC2 configs, as far as I care the other mods must make room for it, not the other way round).
    As Steve Jobs showed (I'm not a mac lover, but my phone priorities go: 1. iPhone,2. Nokia,3. one of the above) people like simplicity, imagine if Windows came in seperate disks for every functionality and they were named obscure things like "control" (which gave you the right click menu, totally not a reference to the fact that I have played with RP2 for half a year+ and still don't know what half the packages actually are).

Eloraam's a she

• oh damn stop that 9999999999 seperate downloads after every update freaking. don't make ic modular what use would that have at all ?
    *edit*
    Oh yea there are people who don't want certain things in their servers. but still, IF it would be modular it should come in one download zip file and then u use the modules that you want. That would be acceptable.
    Batpacks and lappacks should come with tools not armor because if for example you would want to remove the qsuit the essential lappack would be gone too!