[Suggestion] Throwable Flare (mainly for diving .etc)

• Before I start, I'm not asking for dynamic lights or anything since I know they're not really possible with the lighting engine (at least not without glitches) However just a simple item (maybe make the ingrediant a disposable battery + maybe a glass pane) that when you throw it, it spawns a light when it hits the ground. I was moving through the Ocean on a boat and thought even though I have the scuba mask which is really cool, there's no way to see what's on the seabed without either turning off fog or placing down pumpkins/glowstone (which are both lame ways to do it) Having a stackable item I could chuck overboard that would sink to the bottom and then light up would be really cool. You could make it die out after a while (although the recipe's more than a torch anyway so I doubt that's neccesary)

I did a search for Flares and couldn't find anything so I don't know if this idea was already suggested and shot down or something (although I did see Greg talking about a Flaregun, which would also be pretty neat)

• Not entirely sure how much of a bitch its going to be. Since you say "Throw" you must use a entity to make it move and sink, and you can't make entities to be moving lights. However theres the touch the ground condition... If there is a method to make a entity become a block when it touches another block it may be not so evil to do...

• Official Post

Not entirely sure how much of a bitch its going to be. Since you say "Throw" you must use a entity to make it move and sink, and you can't make entities to be moving lights. However theres the touch the ground condition... If there is a method to make a entity become a block when it touches another block it may be not so evil to do...

GregTech quantum helmet fix makes it give off light, why that flare can't be something similar?

• Not entirely sure how much of a bitch its going to be. Since you say "Throw" you must use a entity to make it move and sink, and you can't make entities to be moving lights. However theres the touch the ground condition... If there is a method to make a entity become a block when it touches another block it may be not so evil to do...

Yeah, I did say that I wasn't thinking of a moving light since I know they're not really possible. That would be cool, but I doubt we'll ever see genuine dynamic lights in Minecraft.

• I would also like to see a "Torch Launcher".

You know, mining underground finding huge caves or ravines, i like to place torches everywhere and keep the mobs from spawning. A torch launcher would be awesome ;)

Throwable also!

• dynamic lights in mc are easily possible, but with two major drawbacks:
    1: laggy, makes sense considering mc's not too speedy light update system
    2: only works in air since the light itself is acutally composed of an invisible block

• Official Post

dynamic lights in mc are easily possible, but with two major drawbacks:
    1: laggy, makes sense considering mc's not to speedy light update system
    2: only works in air since the light itself is acutally composed of an invisible block

Thats why as soon as 1.4 is released (and ic² ported to it) , nightvision goggles will be the way.

• I think this could be implemented like the 'Sticky Dynamite' so that you can throw it, and when it reaches a block, it generates type of light source (glowstick or something) but won't give off light when thrown, to reduce lag.

I think this will be more a more practical? way of doing it.

Thanks,
    LilGimli

• how about Glow sticks?
    or Glow glue?
    you could make it like a weapon that when the projectile hits a block Glow Glue will be spawned on the block.
    maybe add a timer that it will die out after some time?

ingredients could be uranium so it would glow green in sunlight ( only the texure?)
    and glow blue-white , (cherenkove radiation is pretty awesome :D)

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• Official Post

uranium (dust) + glowstone dust + redstone + SU battery for extreme throwable light! =D

When the "throwable thingy" hits a block it could spawn "invisible light blocks" [like Gregtech Qhelmet fix] in a radius of 5 blocks from where it hit so it could illuminate a big area.

• how about Glow sticks?
    or Glow glue?
    you could make it like a weapon that when the projectile hits a block Glow Glue will be spawned on the block.
    maybe add a timer that it will die out after some time?

ingredients could be uranium so it would glow green in sunlight ( only the texure?)
    and glow blue-white , (cherenkove radiation is pretty awesome :D)

Actually, there is a polyatomic uranium ion that does that: uranyl (UO2 (-1 is its charge)). It glows green to yellow when exposed to suitably energetic photons (or electrons). It is what gives true uranium glass its color and florescence. So I could see a new glass that emits light in sunlight, next to a reactor, made into glowing panels. It is likely that when made into an acid with tritium and formed into crystals, it would look like glowstone. Replacing the tritium with radium, potassium-40, or strontium-90 could work as well.

A Rock Raider trained as an Engineer, among other things.

• uranium (dust) + glowstone dust + redstone + SU battery for extreme throwable light! =D

When the "throwable thingy" hits a block it could spawn "invisible light blocks" [like Gregtech Qhelmet fix] in a radius of 5 blocks from where it hit so it could illuminate a big area.

Would be an interesting use for uranium, since there aren't any that I am aware of outside of reactors. You'd have to get a fair amount of uranium dust per ingot to make it worthwhile. But it also does increase the value of SU batteries.

Maybe we can develop a way to create tritium for the torches? It might also be able to be used in the night vision goggles. Maybe allow water cells in a nuke reactor and have the water absorb the particles from the uranium for a set amount of pulses and have behavior like breeding uranium cells, except with a much lower requirement of pulses. Heat would affect it the same way.

Error 404: Signature not found!

• also tritium is being used by Fusion,
    !GREG we need your HELP!

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• Is there any way to alter the location where a player's pointing?

The reason I ask is you might be able to do something like this:
    1. Player holds flare in hand, right clicks to throw it
    2. Block to be lit is calculated from the trajectory of the flare
    3. Timer is added to the block, with the time until lit is = time it takes for flare to fall
    4. Flare falls, when it hits the block it appears as if the flare has lit the block
    5. Timer is added to the lit block, will go out after a predetermined amount of time

This way you don't have to convert player item->thrown entity->placed block, its more like player item->placed block with the entity added in as a special effect. I don't know if this would be easier or not.

hey, guess what, there already is an entity that becomes a block... falling sand.

• hey, guess what, there already is an entity that becomes a block... falling sand.

Hey, guess what, you revived a 2 weeks old thread. That's not necrology (cryogenization ? ^^) but almost.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!