Is Bronze Armor supposed to be as strong as diamond?

• Its not better then Diamond, but I believe it's better then Iron, and much better then gold..., i'm guessing its just for while your still getting diamond and you want better protection then Iron

• Official Post

Its not better then Diamond, but I believe it's better then Iron, and much better then gold..., i'm guessing its just for while your still getting diamond and you want better protection then Iron

Or not waste diamonds with armor, while you should use them for electric armor.

• The thing is, I'd expect from real life parallel that bronze armor to be even less effective and durable than iron. So okay, lets assume minecraft iron armor is not a good or well crafted armor as the bronze, there is still a way between iron and diamond,- according to the wiki, one half of an armor bar is 4% damage reduction, iron being 60% and diamond 80%- that's 4 different protection value than any single type armor set currently.

Also, according to the IC2 wiki bronze is like iron only more durable, (but not as diamond),subverting both my expectation for lesser durability and preEDIT: the recipe and resources says only about durability being 30% better. The individual armor pieces pages (which i've never seen before) have the correct info.

If i may overstep into the suggestion forum, i think a good compromise is making bronze less\as durable as iron, buff it's helmet and leggings(1) by 1 half bar each for the 8% between iron and diamond(2), and make it more enchantable than iron(3).

Logic: (1)making it fit with a pack and rubber/static boots, (2)filling the armor niche of mid-high tier when you have a handful of diamonds but would rather use them for machines or tools, and as well(3) getting to the start of enchanting and just giving a little "mythical" feel to bronze armor- think about ancient royal ornamented bronze armor and such- or just compare the last thing you saw made of bronze versus the last thing you saw made of iron.

• Official Post

Don't expect minecraft mods (and minecraft itself) to follow real life. Expect it to follow game balance.

• Diamond level protection from bronze is overpowered, not balanced.

Also, minecraft mods follow a simplified reality- why is everything blocks? Simplified reality. How can you punch a tree to break it? Simplified reality. Why does electricity flows in a line, not a circuit? Simplified reality. How can an electronic circuit be made with your hand? Simplified reality. How can an alloy furnace produce silicon using rather impure materials? SImplifi... I"ll stop now.
    Realistic is good until it hits the Uncanny valley of realism- when the realism is not fun and breaks the willing suspension of disbelief (no one is bothered by dirt blocks floating, but compact solar bothers me a lot at least). That's why attempting to be realistic! usually falls flat and doesn't work.

However, if the new realism follows the spirit of things rather than exactly the real world- electricity travels in wire, nuclear reactor produce a lot of heat, etc, it only enriches the game (and in this case also it's uranium). Shouting Realism! is only good if you have a way to make it work in gameplay: making all blocks fall for realism! will just make a frustrating mess, but making solar panels produce a tiny amount of energy when there is a moonlight will just give a little something nice. So is my suggestion: making bronze fit with real world tech advancement while giving it other nice features to balance gameplay.

(anyway with tech mods you can always just techno babble your way out of troubles- it just requires watching some star trek and considering all explanations banana explanations*)

*named for the way the 11th doctor from the show Doctor Who starts explain something by comparing it to something such as a banana, only to says it's not like that and you should forget about the banana.

• Hmm, copper and tin much frequent than iron (about 3 times) and used much less than iron, so it is easier to get. On other hands - it needs machines and energy, but cost for full set is not bigger than stack of charcoal in generator which is again pretty easy to get. Besides people usually build a solar arrays pretty quick, so energy is actually not a trouble. And than usually comes nano suit. I might be wrong, but it seems that bronze armor lasts much longer than nano suit.
    And GregTech has a mortars which are completely cheaper than machines.
    I think solution may be to nerf bronze armor and add full set of composite armor. It also will answer to question - why the bronze wrench is wearing out in compare to electric wrench which is made from iron.
    Just my vision.

P.S. As we talking about bronze, I have a question - why electric tools have a (probably) bronze hulls, but we did not use bronze in recipes?

• Well, i used the FTB ultimate pack (which includes gregtech) and got a full bronze armor (and thus maxed out armor bar) waay before i got my first diamond, (half the set from a chest, but still legit...) so it still needs a proper rebalance.

• Official Post

Well technically, Bronze armour would be worse if stabbed but much better if Slashed at, becuase although diamond is incredibly hard, it can be split fairly easily compared to metals.
    See This video for more ;)

• Official Post

Well technically, Bronze armour would be worse if stabbed but much better if Slashed at, becuase although diamond is incredibly hard, it can be split fairly easily compared to metals.
    See This video for more ;)

Hey, Its just a Theory. A Game Theory! Not to mention that some calculations of MatPat went partially wrong, because he measured the Armor-Pixel-Blocks instead of the 9 Diamonds to craft a solid Diamond Block.

• Well, i used the FTB ultimate pack (which includes gregtech) and got a full bronze armor (and thus maxed out armor bar) waay before i got my first diamond, (half the set from a chest, but still legit...) so it still needs a proper rebalance.

If you think that the bronze armor is very OP, then you perhaps also find that RP2 gems (substitute of diamond for tool) are very OP, and hell why there's no config to disable or reduce their spawn rate.

• Rp2 gems are't op for me. My main complaint is that the bronze armor provide as much protection as diamond, and they can be made with early materials- you basically need some wood, stone, copper ore (which is abundant near the surface) and tin ore (which is also fairly abundant) to make something that rivals 24 diamonds in functionality, and i can't say a similar thing about gems- they require quite a bit of mining with iron pick at least and don't provide any functionality that iron doesn't provide other than some speed and durability (maybe the sword is a little op, but damaging the mobs is the easy part- it's surviving them that truly matters)

• Hmm, copper and tin much frequent than iron (about 3 times) and used much less than iron, so it is easier to get. On other hands - it needs machines and energy, but cost for full set is not bigger than stack of charcoal in generator which is again pretty easy to get. Besides people usually build a solar arrays pretty quick, so energy is actually not a trouble. And than usually comes nano suit. I might be wrong, but it seems that bronze armor lasts much longer than nano suit.
    And GregTech has a mortars which are completely cheaper than machines.
    I think solution may be to nerf bronze armor and add full set of composite armor. It also will answer to question - why the bronze wrench is wearing out in compare to electric wrench which is made from iron.
    Just my vision.

P.S. As we talking about bronze, I have a question - why electric tools have a (probably) bronze hulls, but we did not use bronze in recipes?

I was popping in to Support to see if a new beta came out, but I found this thread instead. Here's some fun facts I've learned about Alblakas' armor balancing choices since IC1 and beyond:

-IC2 bronze is stronger than bronze-age bronze, due to an effective alloy blend. Modern day bronze is FAR stronger than bronze-age bronze, because we have tools that allow us to find the best molecular blend of metals to make the strongest alloy.
    -Metal armor IS stronger than nano armor now, but that is because electric armor is rechargeable. You have to put in some real work to get a new set of metal armor.
    -If we go into the fictional debate between fictional bronze and fictional iron, then I would like to argue that Alblaka's fictional refined iron has a higher carbon content than fictional MC iron, which is why the electric wrench does not break down like crappy fictional MC iron tools. Not only that, but it was made with a better fictional manufacturing process.

What I'm trying to get at is Alblaka made a mod that lets us feel high tech - nowhere in there does it say he has to be realistic, especially when it comes to balancing it so people can enjoy playing together in multiplayer.

*slaps on a pair of shades and strolls off*

• Bronze age bronze is also stronger than iron age iron. Iron displaced bronze because you don't need two different metals to make it, not because it was very good.

• Bronze age bronze is also stronger than iron age iron. Iron displaced bronze because you don't need two different metals to make it, not because it was very good.

More like because Bronze was heavier, way too much for weapons/tools.

And Greg, who's "MatPat" ? Guess why I ask lol.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!