Bored? Random IC2/Forum chat

• Official Post

Can anyone think of any odd generator types? IC2 has pretty much all of them apart from oil and gas.
    Perhaps a thermopile? The only logical generator I could think of that is worth using.
    Antimatter is simply unviable as it would need to be extracted out of the magnetosphere, which would take a huge amount of time and effort :P
    Some kind of solar boiler I guess, creating steam :P

It might be a better idea to focus on the whole steam thing anyway though, for the nuclear reactors.

• i think the next logical question should be this:
    Should IC2
    maintain a 100% stand-alone block scheme(pre-experimental),
    maintain a mostly stand-alone block scheme, but have blocks that work with the most common mods used with ic2 (experimental mindset).
    maintain a loose stand-alone block scheme, and design blocks knowing other mods will be added.

here is my train of thought. stand alone does not mean 0 multimod interoperability. Currently, reactors can be set to generate steam, but if i were to install IC2 alone, i would have no use for steam, but expect some use for it in upcoming releases, if ic2 were 100% stand alone.
    if it were mostly standalone(as it is currently in the experimental version), i would expect the steam to be an option, but not expect much balance out of it update-to-update.
    if it were a loose stand-alone, i would expect steam to be a major decision before starting a world, with both methods balanced against each other, and any gains given by other mods.

getonwithit: maybe IC2 should see if they can make a steam turbine, or perhaps trade/share the buildcraft/railcraft turbine so it would be available in an ic2-only world?

• Official Post

Can they even output steam, if there isn't any mod adding the steam? (Railcraft or Gregtech are the main 2 I can think of)

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Solar Boiler is about the only thing I can think of as well that isn't done by GregTech. Of course, you could add in a feature where anti-matter could be manufactured by corrupting UU-Matter in such a way that causes it to destroy (instead of create) new objects. Now, how to balance it where it generates a positive yield and not be completely OP, is up to the devs.

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

What about a real Geothermal generator which digs up its tunnel (like explained somewhere in the GT suggestion thread)? Thus simply making lava burnable at a common generator.

@sinnaj : delete the cookies from ic forum and you may log out automatically.

• Can anyone think of any odd generator types? IC2 has pretty much all of them apart from oil and gas.
    Perhaps a thermopile? The only logical generator I could think of that is worth using.
    Antimatter is simply unviable as it would need to be extracted out of the magnetosphere, which would take a huge amount of time and effort :P
    Some kind of solar boiler I guess, creating steam :P

It might be a better idea to focus on the whole steam thing anyway though, for the nuclear reactors.

A fart generator! Oh, right, GregTech already has that one. A solar boiler sounds pretty rad, though.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!

• Official Post

How close does the default forum theme look to Android Holo?

Not at all

• Exams start today, probably will be inactive for a week or so -_-
    Wish me luck....

Coming from someone who did their exams a few months ago, Good luck sir, your going to need it.

• Official Post

Greg, did you modify IC2's code to be more lagfree on build 357?

Nope, I just made it more readable. Eclipse showed me a shitload of Warnings in the IC² Code, and I fixed all of them, and during that I even found some Bugs.

Who the fuck uses try {Object.member.function();} catch(NullPointerException e) {return null;} instead of a simple Object.member != null check?

• Official Post

Who the fuck uses try {Object.member.function();} catch(NullPointerException e) {return null;} instead of a simple Object.member != null check?

It looks more intelligent/fancy?

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Yes

(well, it seems that you've shortened the code and that may [or not?] improve performance)