Bored? Random IC2/Forum chat

• Is anyone really beliving that pastian shit? Everyone knows that the only true deity is the Random Number God and it hates me!

I ask the exact same thing from myself about how can people possibly believe in afterlife or anything supernatural in general. Pastafarianism is essentially in no way different from any other religion out there and it's trivial for everyone to see that it's just bullshit. How they can't see their own religion is often even worse is a mystery to me.

• while we are ranting...i love buildcraft, but as both vanilla and BC update, it becomes painstakingly harder to find cactus, and i find myself cheating it in more and more. i searched a 10k block radius around my base (i run largebiomes) and found no cactus. forestry is not updated yet so i can't use bees for pipe sealant. IMO, i would like to be able to use a mixture of sticky resin and a compressed plant ball to make pipe sealant. suggestions?

• @above. It would be a interesting recipe but I think the bigger issue is the fact that you need Cactus to make the stuff. Most pipe waterproofing is some sort rubber to my knowledge so I would be fine if the recipe was just a pipe and maybe 2 pieces of IC2 rubber or 1 pipe waterproof (cactus) depending on the mod list.

#shameless plug. Just finished a review on the first season of K-On on my reviews blog. with that out of the way, I'm free to work on the first wave of Turnabout Smash reviews (including a series I'd rather not admit to seeing, but that's for latter)

• Official Post

I ask the exact same thing from myself about how can people possibly believe in afterlife or anything supernatural in general. Pastafarianism is essentially in no way different from any other religion out there and it's trivial for everyone to see that it's just bullshit. How they can't see their own religion is often even worse is a mystery to me.

Various cognative faults in the brain. We haven't evolved for logical thinking >.>

• I ask the exact same thing from myself about how can people possibly believe in afterlife or anything supernatural in general. Pastafarianism is essentially in no way different from any other religion out there and it's trivial for everyone to see that it's just bullshit. How they can't see their own religion is often even worse is a mystery to me.

Well, Pastafarianism was founded after Kansas enforced a law to teach alternatives to evolution(Christian alternatives, mind you), so I guess that is pretty clear. By the Way, did they undo that law or is it still enforced?

• I know why it was created. The whole point of it was to show how it had exactly as much evidence behind the claims it made as any other creation story or religion in general.

As for the law, I have no idea

• Official Post

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

Edited once, last by Chocohead: Yeah it was ().

• Official Post

We're talking about this on Greg's forum. From what I can see, there isn't much resemblance, and if what the author said is true, and he took it down to avoid drama, it's horribly backfired. There is just more drama now...

I pointed it out before it was cool 8)

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Well I haven't seen Player saying anything about that on 100% confirmed Accounts and IRC isn't reliable at all. Also note that I have seen some fake KingLemming Accounts on less known Forums in the past too (That's one of the Reasons I have a List of used Accounts in my Profile, which consists out of Youtube, IC-Forum and MC-Forum). I even saw a fake "GregoriusT" account on an IRC Log (even though that was an obvious alias change).

Also a Jetpack by itself has to do just one thing: Changing the Y-Velocity within the Armor Tick Callback when the Steve holds down the Jump Button. That is all a Jetpack should have to do, and the Energy Cost thing is a Part of TE itself (what is basically a ripoff of the IC2 Charging System) and a one-Liner.

And what the fuck is bad about stealing small Parts of someones Code? It is not like stealing all the Code and releasing the same copied thing as new Mod, and I have seen other people do that on this very Forum. Not to mention that this is all Mod Code and not productive (aka Money relevant) Code.

This shit is getting ridiculous (and it has been ridiculous in the past). Guess why I usually don't even try to communicate with other Modders unless there is a Question or something. Large groups of people talking to each other always leads into bullshit (see Democracy), and the whole Internet is evidence for that, especially if everyone wants attention from "the Audience" aka Direwolfs Fans and Modpack Users.

I think that is all I wanted to say about this stupid Situation, and now I have to finish up the Granite Worldgen before I can release a shitty Open-Alpha-Version of GregTech, like every Game Dev does recently.

• Official Post

Open-Alpha-Version of GregTech

Yes.

shitty

No. At worse pretty shitty, it can only go up :)

I see this too much.

• Official Post

SimplyJetpacks has many "similarities" with IC2's implementation both on the macro and micro level. It starts with having the same overall approach, continues with the class hierarchy, solutions to individual problems, partially identical method and variable naming, semantics, down to exactly matching syntactical elements at times. While it may be a coincidence that some of these happen to end up the same if someone implements a similar thing himself, the probability decreases with each instance and there are a lot of those. Additionally there are some occurrences where he's using implementations seen in IC2 which are not reasonable for the scale of his mod or which are just legacy from the past due to IC2 just being a mod much older than e.g. Forge. There's also fairly obvious implementation style/approach inconsistencies towards the features he has added of his own.

Overall it'd be very naive to claim that SimplyJetpacks did not derive from IC2's implementation. The mod authors disagreeing are simply not considering the combined likeliness of all factors or are biases themselves. If law required absolutely bulletproof evidence, there would be no proof, which isn't the case. I have no doubt that there is very strong combined evidence to prove that SimplyJetpacks does indeed use code taken from IC2, it'd be up to Tonius to prove the opposite from that point.

I'm not interested in suing anybody, esp. over a mod, but if he doesn't comply I have no options besides either doing so or tolerating it. Considering how easy it'd be to just make it an IC2 addon which can be made to work with thermal expansion as well or just implementing it from scratch, I have to assume malicious intend and thus can't tolerate it. It is not enough to ask to at least provide a non-derivative implementation if you copy the idea already.

I did ask him discretely to take it down, but if that doesn't work I'll have to enforce it. If we didn't care, the mod would be public domain. Licenses and copyright are worthless if you don't back then up in the end.

It's also quite the antisocial move from some people to push Tonius into non-compliance, it's mostly his risk to take, not theirs.

• Official Post

Deep ^

I see this too much.

• Deep ^

2Deep4Me

I think that is all I wanted to say about this stupid Situation, and now I have to finish up the Granite Worldgen before I can release a shitty Open-Alpha-Version of GregTech, like every Game Dev does recently.

Yes please :D

• I personally think both sides are overreacting. If his version of jetpacks are not a carbon-copy or obviously a copy with every instance of [variable] renamed, then i don't see the problem with 'hey, that's a nifty way of doing that.'
    To me, this would be like going after BC for having copper and tin blocks.

I've done programming, 90% of programming is Googling examples of code someone else has written, then adjusting it to your needs. IDEALLY you should credit your sources in-line in code when you do so.

That said, a 'while' loop is a while loop.

If it is such a big issue, then break from forge, obscure your code with encryption and other nonsense, and fashion yourself a nice tinfoil hat. Nothing ruins something faster than dumping politics and worse legal battles into it.

• If it is such a big issue, then break from forge, obscure your code with encryption and other nonsense, and fashion yourself a nice tinfoil hat. Nothing ruins something faster than dumping politics and worse legal battles into it.

You reek of Cheetos and draft beer...

It's also quite the antisocial move from some people to push Tonius into non-compliance, it's mostly his risk to take, not theirs.

Those same people wouldn't help him if he were cornered into a legal situation with his code on the line. While I doubt that it would ever get to that point (Goon's lack the balls to be so legally direct in any case beyond the internet), it only goes to show the selfish, absorbed nature of them in this case with the modded community. They will simply claim some fictitious 'higher ground' by saying that we 'bullied' Tonius into taking his mod down, and then use that as a poly to get people to play more Tekkit based mods like Thermal Expansion and MFR. It's really quite pathetic if they think such drama will affect the maintaining function of keeping IC2 online and up-to-date. Of course, in their view, they believe that if they can build a large enough community, then they can influence Mojang to sway in their favor. It will never happen, of course, because Mojang hasn't and doesn't care about the modding community as a whole. That has more to do, actually, with the issue of how Sweden deals with intellectual ownership and being able to regulate it in a business setting... Could be wrong on that issue, of course, but I image that after all the engine changes that Mojang gets done making to Minecraft, the legal hurtle will be the largest in regards to mods...

But tl;dr? This is about the 'meta-game' to modded Minecraft, now. The Tekkit guys are simply being manipulative and trying to control player viewpoints with the latest example of drama. In order to 'beat' the 'meta-game' of this drama, then you just have to ignore it and treat the conditions as purely irreverent to our cause. Because their meta IS purely irreverent and stupid....

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• SimplyJetpacks has many "similarities" with IC2's implementation both on the macro and micro level. It starts with having the same overall approach, continues with the class hierarchy, solutions to individual problems, partially identical method and variable naming, semantics, down to exactly matching syntactical elements at times. While it may be a coincidence that some of these happen to end up the same if someone implements a similar thing himself, the probability decreases with each instance and there are a lot of those. Additionally there are some occurrences where he's using implementations seen in IC2 which are not reasonable for the scale of his mod or which are just legacy from the past due to IC2 just being a mod much older than e.g. Forge. There's also fairly obvious implementation style/approach inconsistencies towards the features he has added of his own.

I'm curious did you check the decompiled mod or did you follow the github commits? I know he took the git repo down now but seeing the mod progress from commit to commit should give quite clear idea what is going on.

Though the modder actually taking the mod down without much of a quarrel (presumably) does raise quite a few red flags.

• Official Post

If you don't enforce your laws and regulations, then your laws and regulations mean absolutely nothing.

• Official Post

Licenses and copyright are worthless if you don't back then up in the end.

If you don't enforce your laws and regulations, then your laws and regulations mean absolutely nothing.

Great minds think alike :)

I see this too much.