[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• New machines are still possible. About 20000 machine ids left. Only new materials is not possible and needs a new material system (aka. GT6)

Is there no way to remove useless materials like Terbium to regain a few? Or even a second mod to add additional stuff, required to be paired with GT, like how Growthcraft does it?

And to the post above me:

Why? How does gluing a plate to the outside of a machine keep it's internals from becoming damaged during operation? Besides, maintenance is a barely occuring thing. I run my blast furnace, oil distillery, and bronze boiler damn near 24/7 and so far i've only had to repair them a combined 5 times. Big woop. Nothing of value was lost there- including time. If anything i'd increase the frequency, 'cuz god knows working at the Blue Bunny Ice Cream Factory nothing IRL goes 24 hours without a breakdown of some sort!

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• So you can't actually remove materials? Or add an add-on mod to allow more? This is the end?

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• Nope. It is allways a direct reference to the enum. To use multiple material classes, an interface would ne needed. That change would need to change every material reference, the most used class in GT. Also, every other mod using it would break. Again, that is how it is done in GT6.

• Official Post

Nope. It is allways a direct reference to the enum. To use multiple material classes, an interface would ne needed. That change would need to change every material reference, the most used class in GT. Also, every other mod using it would break. Again, that is how it is done in GT6.

Even if you freed up more than the 1000 IDs somehow, it wouldn't have been possible to write all that many new Materials. There is a 65536 Byte Limit in Java, meaning as soon as the Enum gets too large you cannot add more entries because the compiler refuses to do such a huge block of Code.

Also you said "Again, that is how it is done in GT6." Don't you mean GT5? or did you mean "GT6 broke everything in the Material regard and restarted"?

• Jep, i meant that GT6 threw away the old materials system and restarted it a better way fixing all these issues. And many other changes making life easier that make me want to soon switch over to GTextras again. But first i have a few points left i plan to finish up before stopping GT5U.

And actually the issue is not the 1000IDs but the 64kb enum limit of java. (but IDs are also way past 900, so not much room there also.

• What about an extra class that defines some extra dusts and related items without treating them as officially being Materials, but still allows Minetweaker scripts to add processing recipes for them?

• What about removing polycaprolactam? Albeit realistic it has no use really besides making string from oil..
    That's at least one material freed up.

And is it not possible for GT5U to call another, add-on mod to allow more materials in it's recipes?

Quoted from "zorn":

• Official Post

What about removing polycaprolactam? Albeit realistic it has no use really besides making string from oil..
    That's at least one material freed up.

Yup, I would recommend just adding certain things to a manual MultiItem.

But putting common Parameters that many Materials have into a Parameter Object and passing that parameter Object instead of copypasting the Parameters over and over again can free up some Bytes.

And is it not possible for GT5U to call another, add-on mod to allow more materials in it's recipes?

That is a GT6 thing. GT5 had the "Call Greg to let him add a new Material"-System

• Well poop and crud.
    Personally, I wish we could remove all the Metallurgy Mod crap- that'd free up a freaking ton of materials. But i'm biased against it.

Quoted from "zorn":

Edited 2 times, last by axlegear ().

• HSS swords dont have any enchantment like sharpness so even though it is a higher level than blue steel and more damage it takes an extra hit to kill bobs. 3 for HSS vs 2 for Blue Steel. Is this intended?

• Short question.

When i look up in NEI for recipes in the thermal centrifuge or the ore washing plant, i dont see the gui from the gregtech machine - its the one from IC2.

Is it possible that i see the gui like other gregtech machines? Where i can see, how long the operation takes, how much EU it takes and what eu/t needed?

Thanks.

• I'd kind of like that as well, but until then, you can look here:
    [GregTech] How many X do I need to supply an Y? How many X does the creation of Y need? And more. (If I forget to manage things here, then please drop a PM to me about that forgotten Question)
    Unlike many of the electrolyzer and fluid-extractor recipes, those don't vary for different inputs.

• I use B:DisableIC2Cables=true config option and have problem with craft OV Scanner. It need industrial craft insulated gold cables and not accept use GT ones.

Sorry for my soviet english.

• That is a GT6 thing. GT5 had the "Call Greg to let him add a new Material"-System

Whelp, That solves my last few days of messing around. Guess there won't be any Blood Steel this day.
    Absolutely no way of overwriting old materials that never see the light of day?

• Official Post

Whelp, That solves my last few days of messing around. Guess there won't be any Blood Steel this day.
    Absolutely no way of overwriting old materials that never see the light of day?

There is one way. Overmind hacked the Enum using Reflection to add his own stuff. No Idea how he did that and also no idea how long he takes to reply to things if you ask him.