yogscast mod spotlight on buildcraft

• hmm not limiting who can download would give Alabaka this mod no reason to be updated, however limiting who can download it will cause the internet to explode if no one leaks it.

MinecraftCreeper MinecraftCreeper MinecraftCreeper to the guy who made the modpack

THE CHEESE IS THE MIGHTIER!

• While there is a poor attitude having the Yogcast showcase mods will give IC2, And forge alot of views. The shadow of Israphel only gets 2 million views right? It could bolster the community loads. Idk about anyone else but the community isn't that big and you make the mods for people to play, Why restrict who plays? There already seems to be a lack of people who play mods like this. Locking the forum will reduce it further.

Or rage some more and slow down the move to forge. Battles require sacrifice.
    400k views in a day >.>
    xKillerbees You want a massive gaming community. Instead of saying why its wrong, Make it right and it could be a huge step towards your goal. I goal even i wanna see. The poor attitude comes from nobody wanting to do it right so lets change it...

1. Contact them
    2. Make a deal
    3. ????
    4. Profit

Trolls are underpowered, Nobody plays them anymore

• It all boils down to a battle for respect... it has nothing to do with who has the mods, but respecting those who put forth the effort to actually make them...

and I do mean losing battle because:

1. it's the god damn goonswarm, after all...

2. it's the open domain

So either way, developers are mad that their work is being abused like this, which almost similar to how ungrateful other players are towards developers with even bigger named titles that are on the market today...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• If they had 0 respect for the mod authors they wouldn't link to here or to any other mod post. That's a lot of extra effort for no respect. If IC2 gained even 1/4 of the Yogcast Veiwers. 250k people. Of those some would surely donate and help make the community better. There not all mindless robots.. When a single guy donates 50 Euro's because he thinks the mods are amazing (Which they are) more people will come and play and show Albaka there support and respect. Its a means to an end for the yogcast showcasing IC2

• If they had 0 respect for the mod authors they wouldn't link to here or to any other mod post. That's a lot of extra effort for no respect. If IC2 gained even 1/4 of the Yogcast Veiwers. 250k people. Of those some would surely donate and help make the community better. There not all mindless robots.. When a single guy donates 50 Euro's because he thinks the mods are amazing (Which they are) more people will come and play and show Albaka there support and respect. Its a means to an end for the yogcast showcasing IC2

I wasn't talking about Yogcast in terms of respecting Mod developers. I was talking about the mod pack creator himself... And personally I know that goonswarm will try to buy off these developers into continuing their modding and getting them to cooperate with allowing them to make mod packs like these, or pay in such a way as to influence further mod development the way that the goon's (not Al) so wish...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• I wasn't talking about Yogcast in terms of respecting Mod developers. I was talking about the mod pack creator himself... And personally I know that goonswarm will try to buy off these developers into continuing their modding and getting them to cooperate with allowing them to make mod packs like these, or pay in such a way as to influence further mod development the way that the goon's (not Al) so wish...

Wait, are you seriously implying Goon pays mod developers to mod how they want? This sounds quite absurd, have any evidence to back it up?

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Official Post

Did i mention i received a load of donations, suddenly, starting yesterday? And most of them even include notes about how great the easy-to-install technical modpack is. >.>

I'm currently split.
    On the one hand it's not right to use somebodys work without permission OR promote such doing.
    On the other hand this WILL boost IC²'s popularity. Big Time.

• Did i mention i received a load of donations, suddenly, starting yesterday? And most of them even include notes about how great the easy-to-install technical modpack is. >.>

I'm currently split.
    On the one hand it's not right to use somebodys work without permission OR promote such doing.

Maybe you should talk to the guy who made the modpack and explain why what he did is wrong and then ask him if he could just ask permission from all the mod creators

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

• I agree that redistributing the mods in a form not approved is wrong.

That being said, there MUST be a way for these mods to get packed together which makes it easy to install. The biggest hurdle for new players that want to experience these mods is how convoluted the installation process. Yes, once you get used to it it's not that bad, but what % of ppl that attempt it actually figure it out before getting frustrated and giving up? Modloader, modloadermp, forge, bc, ic, eloraam. Most of these have multiple downloads and heaven forbid you want to play multiplayer. Then it's even worse.

The bottom line is mod packs like this ARE a good thing. And we as a modding community will grow as the ability to access our mods gets easier. Not to mention more profitable for the mod creators.

• Official Post

This is the heavier hand of the two, but I'm not saying it's the wrong one entirely. Take Minecraft as a whole, for example: Take it's 3 million strong fanbase (Paid members), you cannot tell me that each and every person that now owns Minecraft, purchased it right away, before even playing it. It's due to their love of the game that they paid and supported Notch, and Team Mojang. This leads to the other hand:

Since you're making mods, for your enjoyment (I recall this being stated somewhere) and not for the money, it should be flattering that you'll be having a large increase in fans due to a high-profile Publicity Team, The Yogscast, reviewing your mod (Although it was in modpack that didn't have the Necessary permissions).

A compromise, if I may suggest one, would be to allow the Yogscast to publish the part 2 of their review of the Technic Pack, upon them agreeing to admit the pack was compiled without the necessary permissions and a possible re-visit to IC2, once it's in a more finished state.

I am in no way agreeing with what happened here, but I'm just trying to help provide some insight into weighing the options.

• Official Post

I agree that redistributing the mods in a form not approved is wrong.

That being said, there MUST be a way for these mods to get packed together which makes it easy to install. The biggest hurdle for new players that want to experience these mods is how convoluted the installation process. Yes, once you get used to it it's not that bad, but what % of ppl that attempt it actually figure it out before getting frustrated and giving up? Modloader, modloadermp, forge, bc, ic, eloraam. Most of these have multiple downloads and heaven forbid you want to play multiplayer. Then it's even worse.

The bottom line is mod packs like this ARE a good thing. And we as a modding community will grow as the ability to access our mods gets easier. Not to mention more profitable for the mod creators.

Such a tool is being worked on right now, that would only require you to download the mods, it would then install them for you.

• Yogscast just uploaded the industrial craft part of their series and guess what they did not even acknowledge the fact that they had an illegal modpack. Hell they even kept up the link to the mediafire download.

• Could it be....that Yogscast somehow does not know that the modpack is unauthorized in the first place?
    It isn't like them just to do something that atrocious. While we still need to keep in mind the possibility that they know the modpack is unauthorized , could it be they don't?
    We ought to ask yogascast about this, and see if they do realize that the modpack is unauthorized.
    If they do realize it however, I'm afraid I will unsubscribe from them. I really did like those guys. I really did, but this is unacceptable.

Wait, are you seriously implying Goon pays mod developers to mod how they want? This sounds quite absurd, have any evidence to back it up

Did i mention i received a load of donations, suddenly, starting yesterday? And most of them even include notes about how great the easy-to-install technical modpack is. >.>

Derp... your DoS was merely a setback...

This is no different than the crap you do in EvE Online... I just hope Al understands that if you accept something from the Goons, they expect your soul in return...

• this is not a matter of whether or not the creators of these mods will get great exposure or not. clearly the yogcast have a larger following than the modders. this is a case of 'i [modders] made this mod. this is my mod. it is copyrighted. you [Kakermix] don't have my permission to distribute it and you are distributing it. furthermore, the yogcast are helping you illegally distributing my intellectual property without my permission.'

i really hope some of the modders who's mod were used in the modpack do something. if nothing is done, it will send a bad message to the community of Kakermix out there. what it will say is that the modders and their silly copyrights are worth nothing. there is absolutely no reason to respect their wishes when it come to redistributing their contents. what is the point of asking them for permission when i [not me personally obviously] don't have to. either they can't do anything bout it or they won't. either way, i can do what i [not me personally obviously] want with their work.

i am very happy that you're getting the expose you deserve, because this mod is amazing. however, it doesn't make it less wrong. i like to think of this similar to rape. either you have permission to do so or you don't. no means no and there are no cases where that DOES NOT apply.

• Derp... your DoS was merely a setback...

This is no different than the crap you do in EvE Online... I just hope Al understands that if you accept something from the Goons, they expect your soul in return...

Are you implying I'm a goon? If so you've absolutely lost it in your overzealous crusade.

I'm just stating the concept of an internet collective "buying out" mods is hilarious, and unless you have any evidence of such I'd like to point out the fact of how utterly crazy such an accusation is. I'll easily rescind my statements if such evidence is put forth, but until then, I think its crazy.

If it is true I might start coding mods so I CAN be bought out.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Peace out guys :)

Also, don't fall into "attack the messenger" fallacy (even if the other party is a messenger).

Please ignore this floating platform with 10,000 solar panels. Nothing to see here.

• Official Post

Several people have mentioned the Technik pack on my Lets Play series. Heres my copy/paste response:

The technik pack that yogscast is featuring is an unlicensed mod pack - whoever put it together did NOT get permission from the authors. I do not support or recommend using it out of respect to the developers - Alblaka, SpaceToad, Eloraam, etc. I have a video up showing how to do it yourself for anyone interested -- its just a matter of getting version 1.7.3 of the game and the mods

Since starting my lets play, I can't tell you how many people asked for either A) My jar file, or B) a modpack. I always respond the same way -- A) Illegal per notch B) Disrespectful to the developers.

Besides, its not like its hard to install these mods together. They are all MCForge. Its literally one or two item id's and THATS IT.

I know the attention is awesome for you Alblaka, but I'm sure you wish it wasn't coming via an unlicensed mod pack :). Still, attention is attention, and donations are donations, and the end result: Your mod gets more play. Your mod getting more play (and you getting more donations) hopefully leads to a better IC2 for all of us!

• Before I start let me say that I like the Yogscast, they're funny and expound on interesting stuff in the MC community (be it maps, mods or whatnot).

That said I'm extremely disappointed in them. I don't mind them doing modcasts without permission (modders should be extatic if Simon and Lewis showcase their mods, it's good for everyone) but when it came to their modpack I always assumed the modders GAVE them their permission. Right now they're stealing another person's work and can get away with it due to their massive popularity.

I don't know, do they still include the original authors?? That would indicate at least SOME measure of respect.

As for modders having huge ego's ... I've never really met modding egotrippers ... I HAVE met very rude plugin developers but that's another circuit.
    Usually modders (like Alblaka) and plugin devs are quite strict ... and for good reason!! They get a constant stream of people (80% of them haven't bothered to do their own research or read the instructions) asking them the same thing over and over again. Without rules things break down. I've had to bring my Admin-hammer down on several idiots for valid reasons and although I did it in a polite way they still called me a tyrant. I'm guessing that's what's happening here: The Yogscast is resisting the authority modders have over their own work.

Whatever their reasons or motives they should have asked permission. It's true that in the end both parties will most likely profit from it but that doesn't make it right.