April fools joke.

• Still hoping it's April's Fool. On the other hand, if BC was supporting EU that would be awesome :)

There's at least one good thing about this announcement, it is catching attention about IC2.
    It also raise the bar for April Fool Jokes.

• There's at least one good thing about this announcement, it is catching attention about IC2.
    It also raise the bar for April Fool Jokes.

Yes. The wrong kind of attention. If it is indeed a joke then there will be a lot of crazy and unhappy 'RF-only' fans and the joke itself will have worried many EU fans that love both systems.

Also jokes are supposed to be funny. I feel that this is anything but.

• I don't think EU is the only unique thing that IC2 has, though I'll admit I'm not that familiar with some of the other tech mods, so I could be mistaken about some of these things. Here are some things I can think of:
    1. plates and item casings (technically Railcraft uses plates, and GregTech isn't completely a separate/independent mod yet, but most other tech mods just use ingots afaik)
    2. mining laser (horizontal mode is handy for making tunnels or for quickly mining soft blocks like dirt, sand, or netherrack)
    3. hazmat suit (for protection from radiation, fire, and lava)
    4. GUI-slot-based nuclear reactors
    Edit:
    5. Crops

• I really think you should've left options open to leave the EU system in, but allow people to use RF in IC2 machines via the use of an energy conversion upgrade, as per usual IC2 builds, where having to use higher power in lower machines required you to insert an upgrade card for it to work. It just isn't IC2 if I haven't got to build a complex IC2 power system.

You might also want to consider splitting off the whole EU power system, and instead of abandoning it, do a complete rewrite on it so that it can distribute power to other mods. IC2's power system was always difficult to understand, which, curiously, was one of the few things I liked about the mod's power system. It actually made you think how to get power from Generator A to a second tier machine B whilst making enough of it to actually get to a second tier machine with better generation capabilities than Generator A. I had always thought this should have been a logical progression, I'm actually amazed you didn't take the concept further.

Lastly, but not least, do please consider that 1.9 may be around the corner for modded Minecraft so instead of just having to do 1.8.9 coding, you'll have to do some additional coding for 1.9 as some modders did say they were skipping 1.8 and going to 1.9! It'd be nice to see IC2 in the currently released version of Minecraft! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

• Lastly, but not least, do please consider that 1.9 may be around the corner for modded Minecraft so instead of just having to do 1.8.9 coding, you'll have to do some additional coding for 1.9 as some modders did say they were skipping 1.8 and going to 1.9! It'd be nice to see IC2 in the currently released version of Minecraft! :D

What do you mean "around the corner"? Forge for 1.9 has been out since March 18th, and according to https://bot.notenoughmods.com/1.9.html there are already 97 mods released for 1.9.

• What do you mean "around the corner"? Forge for 1.9 has been out since March 18th, and according to https://bot.notenoughmods.com/1.9.html there are already 97 mods released for 1.9.

I said that because there has been a distinct lack of official announcements yet regarding 1.9 therefore I was simply considering the possibility that a lot of modders might stay on 1.8 instead of 1.9 instead of assuming they'd all magically jump over to 1.9 and make the mistake of writing incorrect information in my post.

Until 1.9 is official and they're actually and really releasing for 1.9 and there's official announcements regarding it, my post will be written as above. It's the proverbial pinch of salt I throw in just in case.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

• Can't they use the RF API to emulate EU?

If you read the first two comment threads on https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3gg439/a_tale_of_joules_or_why_moving_buildcraft_to_rf/, this is possible from what I can see as the internals of the RF API are fragmented in such a way that it allows you to do some very interesting things (it breaks RF blocks into 4 types: producers, transporters, storage and consumers. Using these 4, you could create custom RF "systems" that are fully compatible with other RF producers, transport and storage, but can cause issues with consumers depending on how you go about things. From what's been said in that Reddit post, most RF consumers assume that RF will be a steady stream, however both BC and IC2 to my knowledge use a "pulse" system (EU moves energy around the network through packets of energy, and hence the mechanics derive from these packets, MJ just pulses energy through the network, however RF produces a constant flow of RF that fills up every storage block, including RF pipes, in the network).

TL;DR To my knowledge, you can, but doing so will cause your custom RF "system" to become it's own, that isn't guaranteed to work with other mod's blocks, essentially making the idea pointless anyways.

Mind you, I haven't used the RF API, only going off what's been said in that Reddit thread.

• If this is not a monumentally bad Aprils Fools joke(I really hope someone thought this would be a good idea...), then I am sad to see the one of last interesting and unique part of IC2 being lost.

For years we have been forced to play really poor versions with massive bugs as development was shifted to newer MC versions without leaving any stable or slightly polished versions of the mod behind for the previous MC versions(that people were actually making packs for and playing). And STILL I was a big fan and arbiter for IC2 because I loved that this mod was keeping true and still had some complexity and challenge. I loved that I had to think and plan out my power network in great detail. I set it up systematically and coloured wires to keep track of things. I automated MFSUs etc. with lots of redstone and Nuclear control and stuff. And if I did not get things right: BOOM (at least in the past). It was AWESOME!

Now you want to remove the key aspect of your mod and join the most faceroll power system in the history of Minecraft: RedstoneFlux...

Personally, unless you reinvent yourselves and start doing something else unique and exiting, then you have just joined the masses of boring RF mods. And I wouldn't really see any point in picking IC2 out of the pile.

This makes me really sad... (or disgusted in a few days)

• I support this change. I am very confused why many players are upset. As long as the IC2 team continues to make their system balanced with consequences for bad setups (RF loss over distance, transformers, machine explosions) I don't see how this affects many players. If they do the above then IC2 will be exactly the same except every place where you usually read EU will say RF. I think it is unfair for everyone to rage and imply that IC2 is going to die out because of these changes, when absolutely no other changes have been announced yet. ^^

• Ugh, not the RF, it is so boring.

I knew that EU was broken for ages, but ditching it completely is just silly, now there are very few unique things in this mod to stand out.
    Also dropping liquid UU, seriously? That's just weird, talk about regressing.
    Having reactors are cool and all, but if you made everything so simple, and like any other tech mod, there wont be a point to IC2(unless someone wants to play with it's reactors, but other simpler reactor mods are now more popular, defeating that point too).
    Ku and Hu is cool mechanics, but they don't add that much unique spin, since number of theirs uses is so limited.

Unless devs will decide on restoring former glory and expanding on features, rather then regressing we surely will see downfall and eventual RIP of IC2.

I know that player is busy, but dropping EU is just such a bad idea guys RF is so simplified and boring, that I avoid using it everywhere, because I will be risking death by boredom.

• If this is not a monumentally bad Aprils Fools joke(I really hope someone thought this would be a good idea...),

The datestamp on teh BC post now says Friday April 1. I am almost certain that earlier it said Mar 31st.

So its looking like this was an April fools joke.

It struck me as odd that if IC2 and BC were working together, why was BC taken by surprise by the announcement, and had to 'rush' their announcement? Sounds like a reason to explain why two big announcements would happen on the same day...

• It struck me as odd that if IC2 and BC were working together, why was BC taken by surprise by the announcement, and had to 'rush' their announcement? Sounds like a reason to explain why two big announcements would happen on the same day...

I thought IC2 was going to announce the RF thing later... we were preparing our own announcement, but then IC2 posted it too early and we had to figure something out. I guess I can blame the IC2 devs for wanting to steal all the hype, however it kind of backfired, didn't it?

• I support this change. I am very confused why many players are upset. As long as the IC2 team continues to make their system balanced with consequences for bad setups (RF loss over distance, transformers, machine explosions) I don't see how this affects many players. If they do the above then IC2 will be exactly the same except every place where you usually read EU will say RF. I think it is unfair for everyone to rage and imply that IC2 is going to die out because of these changes, when absolutely no other changes have been announced yet. ^^

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like having two distinct power systems, one electric and one kinetic. Everything using the same system is just too boring. Seeing an ic2 machine connect to a BC-pipe or an EnderIO conduit just feels wrong. It goes against the way I've played with ic2 for years and years.

• There is no real reason for any hype about RF :P

Just make Greg the main developer of IC2 and let see the world burn in engineering righteousness. It will have definetly bigger chance to be liked than with RF :Matter:

• There is no real reason for any hype about RF :P

Just make Greg the main developer of IC2 and let see the world burn in engineering righteousness. It will have definetly bigger chance to be liked than with RF :Matter:

Among the "hardcore" fans sure. But this move will certainly make IC2 more popular among the "mainstream" players for sure. It'll probably be a great move PR wise.

It still feels like a kick in the face for many old fans though. At least that's how I feel right now.

(Still hoping it's an elaborate joke)