[Mod Idea] TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine)

• I'm working on a TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) mod for minecraft which i want to base on IC2. It consists of a very flexible system of interchangable modules that allow you to create some pretty whacky tunneling machines.

So far the mod consists of the following special modules :
    - TBM Drillhead which does the drilling
    - TBM Filler which outputs material in the direction you placed the block (like walls)
    - TBM Engine which powers the thing and provides pretty gfx
    - TBM Ejecters which output anything mined by the drillhead
    - TBM Platform which serves as a metal grate base for the machine
    - TBM TrackLayer which outputs a rail track behind or below the machine

Anything made of glass or iron blocks that is connected to the machine will be carried along.

Right now i'm still waiting for IC2 to be 1.0.0 compatible before i start the process on integrating my mod. However i'd like to hear some ideas for features regarding cabling and power consumption. My idea was to automatically create a cable while the machine is moving forward, effectively keeping itself connected to the grid. Also have an option to automatically put down a light fixture every x blocks.

1500+ Block TBM FPS Test : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC38k3JS2xk
    TBM Boat Laying Glass Tunnel : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL24o7jYxd4
    TBM in action : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukjxPFUH-EE
    Making of the TBM : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rblU5I64I

Proposed tech tree, feel free to comment on it:
    (The idea is still to use IC2 tech but not before 1.0.0 support is out)

TBM Drillhead

TBM Controller

TBM Engine

TBM Cargo

TBM Ejecter

TBM Filler

TBM Platform

Any input is greatly valued!

Regards,

noosius

• using minefactory, this would be so awesome, with conveyour belts and bring it to a factory.
    This my friend will be an awesome not mod

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

• Just wait for Red Power 2 to release frames. Those will do a lot more than just a TBM, and Eloraam has been extremely good at writing reliable, rock solid coded mods.

• Just wait for Red Power 2 to release frames. Those will do a lot more than just a TBM, and Eloraam has been extremely good at writing reliable, rock solid coded mods.

Oh yea, Me too. All I have to say is I hope that those machines he added use Bluetricity to work however in the release, so as to make them less, uhm, Free to use. I mean Block breaker can be used to make an automatic cobble-stone farm, at no cost once set up, Actually, any of those block manipualtors use nothing to activate when set up. Now, Depending on how frames work, We might be able to make a Factory that expands permenently.

• Oh yea, Me too. All I have to say is I hope that those machines he added use Bluetricity to work however in the release, so as to make them less, uhm, Free to use. I mean Block breaker can be used to make an automatic cobble-stone farm, at no cost once set up, Actually, any of those block manipualtors use nothing to activate when set up. Now, Depending on how frames work, We might be able to make a Factory that expands permenently.

"He"? Eloraam is a "She"

• This actually looks really neat. I'd use it, even when RPpr4 comes out.

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• Wow. Questions: How does it know when to stop, and if I take blocks off and replace them somewhere else on it, it will still work?

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• Great work! Just make it super special and people will take this over RP2's frames any day.

And i too agree that RP2 is a bit too cheap. Eloraam should make an optional IC2 module that makes all RP2 stuff require EU's to operate. Even the circuitry! (At 1 EU/minute per item or something)

• Great work! Just make it super special and people will take this over RP2's frames any day.

And i too agree that RP2 is a bit too cheap. Eloraam should make an optional IC2 module that makes all RP2 stuff require EU's to operate. Even the circuitry! (At 1 EU/minute per item or something)

Sort of like how redstone engines are a bit too cheap in buildcraft? You're only seeing very basic ground work tools. The things that operate on a physics level like your toilet flushing, or spring loaded safety systems that kick in without any command; or with just the most basic commands (filters/retrievers?). You might have noticed, if you use the items, that progressively more useful components require more energy to operate. The sorting machine that tags the items for various colored pipe destinations is said to use blutricity (IIRC). In buildcraft diamond pipes, gold pipes, etc operate for free.

• Epic idea ! Industrial world be really industrial. I have some idea for this mod. Be better if you add custom size of TBM Machine (configurable tunnel 3 * 3, 5 * 5). Add energy support (epic machine must use huge EU's for work. Maybe add MFSU block to machines for work it). Add chest's for collect resources and 3 chest for filling material (chest with stone or other material, chest with lights (torches, glowstone...), chest with rails). If no materials in chest tunnel not filling, but if lava and water in way, TBM use collected resources (cobblestone or dirt) for fill it. Maybe add pump support in TMB.

• Awesome idea!
    I guess you have been watching discovery too huh? he he

IF you implement this to IC I think you should add support for buildcraft too. You can maybe use the block that lays down cart tracks to place pipes. and then send items through those pipes! The same with cables for it to run.

ANyway, take your time developing this mod, cause its awesome! :)

• Sort of like how redstone engines are a bit too cheap in buildcraft? You're only seeing very basic ground work tools. The things that operate on a physics level like your toilet flushing, or spring loaded safety systems that kick in without any command; or with just the most basic commands (filters/retrievers?). You might have noticed, if you use the items, that progressively more useful components require more energy to operate. The sorting machine that tags the items for various colored pipe destinations is said to use blutricity (IIRC). In buildcraft diamond pipes, gold pipes, etc operate for free.

Well DUUUH? If i think RP2 is cheap then obviously i think anything that operates off of pure redstone power (pistons, doors, you name it) and "magic" is cheap... Flushing a toilet is not free btw... It takes power from your hand to pull the plunger or push it depending on the design and if it's an automatic flushing toilet then it takes electricity to detect when you made a load and so on...
    And it takes power to pump new water into the toilet... Nothing is free in the real world... Your comparisons are thus MOOT. A spring loaded safety system still requires work (energy) to be compressed into it's ready state.

So yeah, i would very much love it if everything that does some kind of mechanical or electrical work required energy to be generated and/or stored. But that wouldn't be "fun gameplay" for others. Just me, so whatever. Still would love to see it happen in some way.

• Just wanted to share a screenshot of the working interface for the TBM Controller. Engine requirement will be based on the size of your total machine. It would still run with less engines, just a lot slower. Also a fuel system is implemented and the mechanics behind it are done through the modloader config, so it'll be easy to tweak it and use different fuel sources.

• Just wanted to share a screenshot of the working interface for the TBM Controller. Engine requirement will be based on the size of your total machine. It would still run with less engines, just a lot slower. Also a fuel system is implemented and the mechanics behind it are done through the modloader config, so it'll be easy to tweak it and use different fuel sources.

Awesome!This way we could have an eye on how many blocks that really is connected!

How about remotecontroll? How is your FPS for a really large TBM? SMP?

• From what I have seen of this idea, I consider it very well done considering it looks it requires Iron Blocks to build plus whatever else is needed for the components.

I was thinking, would it be possible to hook a set of Obsidian pipes to this thing to vacuum up the mined blocks and place them into an on-board storage container?