Mac or PC? (Or other...)

• Mac or PC? 33

1. I prefer Macs (4) 12%
    2. I prefer PCs (27) 82%
    3. I prefer other (Linux...) (4) 12%
    4. I use Macs more often (2) 6%
    5. I use PCs more often (17) 52%
    6. I use other more often (1) 3%
    7. I like my preference because... (Don't vote for this on pain of death...) (Pick most decisive) (4) 12%
    8. Performance (13) 39%
    9. Cost (7) 21%
    10. Efficency (8) 24%
    11. UI (3) 9%
    12. Other (2) 6%

While this is kinda Off-Topic, (Thus the location...) I would like to know what people use more, prefer more, and why they like them. *Inserting Poll*
    NOTE: This IS NOT going to turn into a flamewar location. I will not have it. You may state why you like your computer better, but DO NOT shoot down other people. It will only snowball. If someone says they prefer Linux because it is more betterer, fine, but do not scream at them. It will only cause problems.

What I prefer: I prefer my (Awesome) Mac, and Mac-related stuff. It works great with my iPhone, and Home Sharing to my AppleTV is amazing. I also prefer Macs for the stability and software compatibility (You can run Windows on a Mac, like me.) I use Macs the most, and plan on keeping it that way.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Official Post

I'm a PC guy, I like not overspending for the same hardware. I mean after all a MAC is simply PC hardware, with a nice shiny case and a little apple logo. Gaming is really driven at the PC market because most people use PC's. I hate how the schools have all MAC computer labs, thankfully I have my laptop. I need to move into Linux more, I dual boot it, but I need to play with it more, I know its really awesome. Oh yeah one last thing, I like being able to open my devices up to see what makes them tick/upgrade them, I really don't like being locked out.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• I'm a PC guy, I like not overspending for the same hardware. I mean after all a MAC is simply PC hardware, with a nice shiny case and a little apple logo. Gaming is really driven at the PC market because most people use PC's. I hate how the schools have all MAC computer labs, thankfully I have my laptop. I need to move into Linux more, I dual boot it, but I need to play with it more, I know its really awesome. Oh yeah one last thing, I like being able to open my devices up to see what makes them tick/upgrade them, I really don't like being locked out.

That's cool. Most people (I think) prefer PCs... (But I'm not sure)

Haikus are poems

Potato

• Official Post

Well to put it in perspective, I think about how many businesses use PC, and how many use Mac. I can't think of hardly any around here (smaller town) that aren't running PC's. I think more people use PC's, unless they are in specialty areas. I know that there's some really good audio/video editing software for Mac, but I think there's some equally good software for PC.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• Well to put it in perspective, I think about how many businesses use PC, and how many use Mac. I can't think of hardly any around here (smaller town) that aren't running PC's. I think more people use PC's, unless they are in specialty areas. I know that there's some really good audio/video editing software for Mac, but I think there's some equally good software for PC.

I would say that they are both about equal in terms of software. The real selling point (for me) is the fact that you can natively run OSX and Windows on a Mac, (Like me) so you can switch to Windows if a program makes you.

Haikus are poems

Potato

• About the only reason i'm using Windows on my desktop and laptop are games. WINE is quite functional yes but it can also be a pain.
    The Home Theater PC is also (sadly) restricted to windows due to Cable Labs and their requirement for Media Center as the only thing that obeys the copy once flag from CableCard tuners. (MythTV can also work but one won't be able to record most movies and some shows like Conan)
    Now the file/general purpose server is 100% linux, this is the same box I host a minecraft server on once in a while. Hasn't seen a reboot in 121 days, unlike any of my windows machines. Course I really should update the kernel on that box sometime.

• I prefer PC to Mac mainly because of the cost, for a high end Mac you can end up paying 1.5-2x what you would for a good PC, while Macs may run faster and more efficiently (I sometimes have an uncontrollable urge to drop kick Windows) overall I prefer PC just because of simplicity in its uses, it's much more compatible with games, and the fact that replacement parts are readily available without the need to go to places to get them fixed, also not trying to start a flame war here, but I just don't like Apple very much and I personally hate apple fanboys like this one guy I know that always asks people if they watched the 3 hour long release of Apple's latest "upgrade" to the IPhone

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Official Post

I prefer Windows, because its the most common OS, and so its mostly used as platform for the good Games. Also its easy to use and if you know how (or why), something crashes, you can get Support for it, by just using Googles first Resultpage. The only bad thing about Windows is, that there are MANY useless Programs running in Background on "ready"-Mode, but that can be solved with a Batchfile in my Autostartfolder (at least on XP).

But if i really want to run a Server, then i would do it with an Unixderivate, like Linux, because who wants to reboot it several times, by using Windows?

P.S. Everytime i see a nonfruity and bitten Apple, i personally think: Ewwwww Apple!

Edit: Oh and who voted: "Don't vote for this, on pain of death"

• I'm a PC guy, I like not overspending for the same hardware. I mean after all a MAC is simply PC hardware, with a nice shiny case and a little apple logo. Gaming is really driven at the PC market because most people use PC's. I hate how the schools have all MAC computer labs, thankfully I have my laptop. I need to move into Linux more, I dual boot it, but I need to play with it more, I know its really awesome. Oh yeah one last thing, I like being able to open my devices up to see what makes them tick/upgrade them, I really don't like being locked out.

Agreed, my school has the sense at least to use Windows PCs. My old primary actually used Ubuntu, which is a pretty good choice considering they're a small rural school who can't afford the massive fees for Windows.

• PC, I don't have 1500€ to waste on something that doesn't even have a good GPU and cannot run the games I've bought during the last ~15 years. The compatible hardware for a hackingtosh are overpriced as well, and I'm not exactly a fan of Nvidia after having two of their cards break down in three months.

• PC, I don't have 1500€ to waste on something that doesn't even have a good GPU and cannot run the games I've bought during the last ~15 years. The compatible hardware for a hackingtosh are overpriced as well, and I'm not exactly a fan of Nvidia after having two of their cards break down in three months.

psst: Nvidia doesn't make cards so they're not at fault. Don't blame the blameless, blame the folks that made the cards.

• WARNING! NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

Well, Linus Torvalds uses apple laptop (with linux of course).

I use Windows for leisure: web, minecraft, movies, music (fb2k is awesome and didn't work 100 % correctly under Wine last time I checked) and Arch Linux (on VM) with xmonad for work. Tilling windows manager that you can use only with keyboard is really efficient for work, pairing it with vim only makes it better.

• But the main point why i will never buy a mac is that their cost/performance ratio sucks, seriously, why should i waste money on a mac if i can get a much more powerfull, reliable, easier to maintain and to customize pc for the same price. i've got a pc for ~800 dollars that runs skyrim on smooth fps @medium graphics.
    The only products of apple i approve are ipods.

• But the main point why i will never buy a mac is that their cost/performance ratio sucks, seriously, why should i waste money on a mac if i can get a much more powerfull, reliable, easier to maintain and to customize pc for the same price. i've got a pc for ~800 dollars that runs skyrim on smooth fps @medium graphics.
    The only products of apple i approve are ipods.

Yeah.. My current laptop is ~$800, has a easily removable HDD, can take a mSATA card, has a easily removible (and standard 18650 cell) battery and has a large piece of the back that's easily removable with a #1 philips head for cleaning.
    None of the above is stuff you'll get from Apple. My only complaint about it is that it's a 15.4" screen with only 1366x768 resolution. Would have liked higher (like maybe 1920x1080) but that's nearly impossible to find on a 15.4" laptop.

• Okay i'm a PC guy. But on a slightly unrelated note how does minecraft handle processor power. I will be installing an 8-core soon. Just asking because I've heard that minecraft handles additional cores badly.

edit: i may as well throw my 2 cents in on the PC/Mac discussion. I personally hate how apple handles upgrading. they make it hard to say the least if you want a better gpu you buy a new mac. there is one product as of now i could see myself using, and that's their retina display. It is worth the extra money. everything else i have replaced. Besides zune is so much better than iTunes.

• Might as well chime in, I'm a PC/Linux dual-boot guy.

I use PC for gaming and making videos (still looking for a decent screen recorder for Linux), and use Linux when I need a dedicated work environment for school or programming sans the distractions of Windows.

Nanomanz: I can't remember where I heard it, so it might be hearsay at best, but I think sp614x is working on expanding the capabilities of the Multicore edition of Optifine to include more than just loading the world faster.