Adf.ly

• I'm split on this. Adf.ly is a great way to support the owner of a mod, but it shouldn't be required. Always nice to have a dropbox/mediafire link as well.

• The best adf.ly can offer is $5/1000 unique page views. That's for USA traffic with no adblock; flash and js enabled.
    Normal rates are like 1/10th of it. And now guess how many people are not using adblock.
    I refuse to believe it's enough to pay even for a domain name.

That and the fact that the ones earning money here are primarily the adf.ly guys. So you are not paying your (time) share for the mod devs but for the adfly company.

• Official Post

That and the fact that the ones earning money here are primarily the adf.ly guys. So you are not paying your (time) share for the mod devs but for the adfly company.

Yes, the Moddevs and the Adf.ly-Guys are earning Money, but you forget that you only have to see the Advertisement (if adblock isnt there). Nobody pushes you to click onto that shit.

• Yes, the Moddevs and the Adf.ly-Guys are earning Money, but you forget that you only have to see the Advertisement (if adblock isnt there). Nobody pushes you to click onto that shit.

Disregarding the fact that money is split like 20%/80% with 20% going to moddevs, and if you're using adblock (which is true for most of the users), you're losing like 5 seconds of your time without anyone earning anything.

• Disregarding the fact that money is split like 20%/80% with 20% going to moddevs, and if you're using adblock (which is true for most of the users), you're losing like 5 seconds of your time without anyone earning anything.

That is not correct. If you are using programms like adblock+ (firefox plugin) pictures are just not displayed, resulting in full revenue. Also adf.ly states that the profit is shared 50%/50%. I still think that 5 bucks for every 1k klicks in this case is a lot of money, considering how many people might klick it on a voluntary basis.

just my 2 cents.

• I have no issues with adf.ly links as LONG as there is a direct link download and the mod isnt split into many sections. Adf.ly has cost me a ton of money due to failure to screen their ads before putting them up. (Totaled a computer that even fully reinstalling everything failed to work). I still believe that modders should have some support for their work, I just hate when people demand it instead. I've met people who wanted to get modding JUST for Adf.ly so they can make money, they didn't even care about making mods themselves.

Proud IndustrialCraft user Since Minecraft beta 1.3 (Or 1.4, To many nukes to the face can cause memory issues.)

• I've met people who wanted to get modding JUST for Adf.ly so they can make money

So whats wrong in wanting to get money for doing something you are good/like?

they didn't even care about making mods themselves.

If they don't care about their mods then they are just going to be crap, and if they are going to be crap they won't get anything out of it, so that sort of solves itself.

• tl;dr: Patience. Mojang could do a marketplace for mods after the API is semi-established.

Until then the devs deserve their pennies, but I reserve(d) the right to curse the dev when I have(had) to go through 18 ad.fly links to get the full client and server packages.

----------------------------------

Honestly... once the mod API is implemented I wouldn't be surprised to see this issue go away. I'd expect to see a 'Mojang Marketplace' for 'official mods' (at the very least mods that have been reviewed and found to be 'safe' ie: kid-friendly). Maybe that marketplace could be like ad.fly, but more dev-centric. All ad.fly really does is put an ad in front of a redirect to a file hosted elsewhere.

I think there is a market for some sort of integrated ad-revenue\hosting of Minecraft Mods. MinecraftForge.net needs this... MinecraftForge.net needs to be the MCF of forge mods- but done right. Sub-Forums for established mods, devs allowed limited-moderator rights on their sections, etc...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• However, some modders sort of overdo it and spam 20-parted downloads to get more AdFly revenue.

Which I'm pretty sure is against the terms of service for sites like that. I wonder if anyone has ever tried reporting RP/BC for gameing the paid-redirect services (I have not, I'm just curious).

• Which I'm pretty sure is against the terms of service for sites like that. I wonder if anyone has ever tried reporting RP/BC for gameing the paid-redirect services (I have not, I'm just curious).

Redundant views from the same IP during a certain time period result in MUCH less proceeds. Eloraam doesn't get 7x the money she'd get if she had one module; she gets probably more like 2x (or maybe even less).

• I agree adf.ly is a waste of time (and use it to annoy people who do stupid things on my website -- 404'ing because they've taken the link to a mod and not to a thread and mod has been changed/removed whereas thread is updated :P).

But if you're not trying hard enough to get rid of the time delays then you deserve to have to wait 5 seconds.

• you know, I think there is something wrong with some of the arguements on this thread...
    people are angry that modders, who spend days or even weeks of their time to give you something for free, ask for something in return
    what?! tell my how many other things there are in the world, where people just give away their time for free

now, that's not to say that I agree that you should be able to have 7 download parts like eloraam

that said, I think that devs should have the option to have a "donate" adfly link if they want to.
    that way, you only have to waste your 5 seconds if you feel that the modder wasting days or weeks of their time to give you something free is worth your 5 seconds

also just to give you an idea of how much money adfly can generate, if everyone who downloaded my mods had used adfly, I would have an additional $100 in my pocket right now
    and my addons are small beans compared to ic2 itself

• I'm fine with adf.ly, I normally use adf.ly links when I have the option. The exclusion is RedPower and Buildcraft. It really, really, annoys me what SirSengir/Krapht and Eloraam have done there. Railcraft has a great solution. The mod is split into modules, which are then put into one big jar and can be disabled in the config. RedPower/Buildcraft just cover there pages in the various adf.ly links. And they don't even get much. There was a competitor a while ago, specifically aimed at Minecraft stuff. The payout rate was dynamic, and I believe it could easily be much higher than adf.ly. But the advertising companies randomly pulled out support, and refused to say anything about it.

• My basic server comes at the cost of an incredible 22,68 €/year with full access and unlimited traffic, I think that is affordable for everyone. If not there are still other DL centers like Mediafire which are "paid" by advertisement. Why anyone would use ad.fly for any other reason but mindless greed is beyond me, especially since the payout is stupidly low.

I absolutely support Alblaka's position regarding adfly.

• I wish Albaka would let addons use adfly D:

Why? They'll make virtually nothing off it and it'll be another minute or two spent downloading the mods (yes it's only "5 seconds" but if you've ever tried to download more than one thing you'll know how it spreads out as you refresh pages, wait for things to load, wait while adf.ly redirects you, et cetera).

A simple banner ad on your website could make far more money, especially if it's properly targeted at your audience (believe me, 90% of the Minecraft audience couldn't give two shits about paying off mortgages and the other 10% are probably clever enough to know it's a scam).

• Official Post

Aside from the fact, that you just necroposted this Thread, why hating adfly? Because it always tells you to enable Cookies even if they are on? Because it lets you click the download Link 5 times to just let it work? Or because almost nobody uses the better working alternatives? Yes, that is a reason to hate it, but not because of the 5 seconds you would have to wait if it works.

• Official Post

Aside from the fact, that you just necroposted this Thread, why hating adfly? Because it always tells you to enable Cookies even if they are on? Because it lets you click the download Link 5 times to just let it work? Or because almost nobody uses the better working alternatives? Yes, that is a reason to hate it, but not because of the 5 seconds you would have to wait if it works.

I know Pam (And you probably) have gotten like a Bajillion times as much money by putting up a Donation button, and unlike Ad.fly people are only going to click it if they think you actually Deserve it. Im fine with Ad.fly becuase my ADD is like "5 Seconds? WAIT WHAT I MISSED IT".

• adfly is just beyond stupid. There are some greedy ones out there who try and make players go through all three of the ad click services. I have never donated (lol cause I am always broke thanks to college), but if I did I am 90% less likely to donate to someone who makes me click through a ad link rather than someone who doesn't. My view on it is this: You are already making me spend 5 seconds of my precious free time to download your mod so you can get a couple of pennies, then you don't need an extra donation on top of that. (This comes off a bit harsh and the common answer is "so what, its only 5 seconds". On any given week I am working on up to 5 coding/design projects for my class, working on my personal portfolio, volunteering my time at a local observatory, working, trying to get around 3-4 hours of sleep, or reading on design techniques or learning new things within Javascript/jQuery. Five seconds of my time is alot, and I don't have the time to go through 3 different ad services just to get a mod that looked interesting.)

technically I don't think these services are allowed anyways. It would depend on how Mojang has their EULA written, but if you force a user to go through a ad-based site to generate revenue off the download of their mod, it is the same as charging a price to download. I remember back in the hideous days of WoW players were offering a premium version if they donated (I am seeing Aether II doing this as well) and Blizzard slammed their mighty hammer down on the modding community and threatened action if they did not stop immediately.

As for the mythical API of Minecraft and the thoughts of a market place. In order to sell your mod (which in itself is an original work derived from another original work) you would need to purchase a permit or get a release from the original developer to sell the mod for a price. Anyways the Minecraft API is a urban myth lol. (look into iPhone apps for EVE Online to see the huge debacle that took place there).