for ic2 startup i generaly:
1. collect wood
2. dig temporary underground base
3. start burning wood into charcoal
4. make staircase from base to lvl 12
5. dig around for tin, copper and redstone.
6. go back up and search for a rubber tree.
7. create generator, extractor, macerator and batbox (in that order)
8. start building solars
after that i just do what i want really. no real order of doing things.
Fairly standard 'build' to be honest. First 4 machines are the goal you want to shoot for early game in Minecraft... Then, you have a few decisions you can go for as your beginning resources climb up.
9. Choose a base set of energy production
- Wind, Water, or Solar
- or Standard Generator (either by Charcoal of Fuels)
10. Expand energy capacity
11. Advance your manufacturing capacity
12. Enhances your resource gathering capabilities
These are about a few choices that you can do mid-game...