Minecraft 1.5

• I was reading on the MC forums an article that is shedding some light upon the urban legend known as the "modding API" and what I gathered from that mods like Optifine are going to be extincted as it directly modifies the game engine and that includes other API's like forge. Now I might have misread that article, but that is how I understood it. Also mod delivery would be handed at the start menu of the game, rendering MC forums useless.

• I think that was from an interview with Jeb (or Dinnerbone?). They actually want to make the ultimate API, but as with many things in the IT business: nothing is done until it is done. I have seen managers tell the greatest things that we will have "soon", yet a year later nothing was done, but no one was speaking about that "grand vision" anymore cause they had a new one.

Therefore: don't believe things just because someone said them.

• Why do they even need to make a modding API? We've already got forge and a new API would require a MASSIVE rewrite of mods. It'll be worse than 1.3! I don't see why they have to make their own API when they could probably just hire Lex and let him implement forge into vanilla minecraft!!! Am I the only thinking this?

• My guess is that lex already has a job that is much better payed than what Mojang could offer. And for second Mojang so far never ever admitted that they took ideas from others (like villages, which were a plain rip-off), so I don't think they will ever say: "We take Forge, because we can't do it better." and instead implement something crappy that no one will ever use afterwards.

• I was reading on the MC forums an article that is shedding some light upon the urban legend known as the "modding API" and what I gathered from that mods like Optifine are going to be extincted as it directly modifies the game engine and that includes other API's like forge. Now I might have misread that article, but that is how I understood it. Also mod delivery would be handed at the start menu of the game, rendering MC forums useless.

Sounds a bit odd given I heard direct from cpw (in one of Direwolf20's server videos) and he said that forge will basically just "extend" the API, not act like the complete solution that it is right now.

• It doesn't say OptiFine will be extinct, it says that they won't need to directly modify the engine anymore, but use their API instead. I sincerely doubt that though. I've never taken a look at OptiFine's code but judging by what they do I don't think it could ever be done through an API layer.

• Official Post

It doesn't say OptiFine will be extinct, it says that they won't need to directly modify the engine anymore, but use their API instead. I sincerely doubt that though. I've never taken a look at OptiFine's code but judging by what they do I don't think it could ever be done through an API layer.

Note that in this specil Case, they want to overhaul the complete Rendering Code, making Optifine as FPS-Boost probably useless.

• I'm more worried about the effects of 1.5 on Eloraam's Redpower than IC2, to be honest. Alblaka and the team are good about updating, but after Elo's track record I wouldn't be surprised if the Redstone update caused Redpower to take 8 months or more to update.

Obsession with Automation is a good thing, right?

• I hope not, it was a nightmare waiting for RP2, there is a reason why I hate Vanilla Redstone

• Official Post

Whoever does that will know the power of the ban hammer =).

Todays forcast: Cloudy with a chance of banhammer.

• Going back to 1.5..., now that it's out, i'm loving the new Quartz blocks and the Block of Redstone

• Love how we have nearly all the practical content in 1.5 already with RP2 and Railcraft.

• Love how we have nearly all the practical content in 1.5 already with RP2 and Railcraft.

Makes me constantly think that Jeb just wants to 'cheese' content out of mods and make them into "new" vanilla blocks. Probably part of the reason we haven't seen an Mod API so far. (not that we honestly need one at this point with Forge, but still...)

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.