IC2 Expermental Feature Discussion

• Makes sense...
    Thank you for the tip! I'll try it as soon as I've time.

• Also, it would be so good if we could do some fuel out of plants (bio fuel is not working, or I do not see how I can put it in fuel cans).

• Also, it would be so good if we could do some fuel out of plants (bio fuel is not working, or I do not see how I can put it in fuel cans).

If you want to do that, there's no better way to fly than Forestry. Cultivating plants specifically for ethanol production is a significant aspect, and well-automated by Multifarms. Buildcraft can also do so, although I'm not sure if without Forestry.

GhostPlanet.tv - Streaming Anime (Claymore, Texhnolyze, Attack on Titan), recent Animated Shows (Archer), movies and major live action shows (Thrones, Spartacus).

• Because I had some questions about the EU distribution rules and a thought about combining power sources.

One question regards step-down transformers. What is the official behaviour of a transformer when you've connected to multiple output faces? I get the impression from discussions that a transformer stepping down from 2048eu to 512eu would only output 512eu/t total across all faces, but I would have thought 512eu/t per face would be more in keeping with the rest of the mod. I get the impression this might be what happens anyway as I have one HV trans feeding four 512eu loads I think. I was running four MFR laser drill prechargers. Unfortunately the server admin got bored and reset the server so I can't easily confirm that.

Regarding power sources combining I think instead of allowing generators to combine indefinitely the summed output should be limited to the generator's tier, and to combine more generators would require a step-up transformer. That would make step-up transformers useful for more than just electric fences.

Variable output devices ought to have a slot for transformer upgrades, so if you don't upgrade then the power output per face is limited to the generator's tier

Other ideas: simplified cable losses: forget measuring length and just impose a fixed penalty each time cable is used at the incorrect tier.

Allow any un-insulated cable to be used at one tier higher than its insulated form, so bare iron wire could be used as a substitute for glass if you avoid standing too close.

• Other ideas: simplified cable losses: forget measuring length and just impose a fixed penalty each time cable is used at the incorrect tier.

Allow any un-insulated cable to be used at one tier higher than its insulated form, so bare iron wire could be used as a substitute for glass if you avoid standing too close.

I like these ideas :D

But, if our dear developers insist on cable loses according to length, can you please let us players know at least your general idea how this will work in the future? "Old" IC2 losses were too high IMHO, I hope if you implement any, we still get to make "lossless" cables longer than 4 blocks that aren't glass fibre (which is a bit too expensive now, I think).

Whatever you intend to do, it would be nice to know, so players don't end up having to completely redesign their factories because they didn't think about cable losses.

• I just scanned both a single Diamond and a Clay Block.
    Diamond(item) currently costs 252.5 UUM
    Clay Block currently costs 551.7 UUM
    Why the hell is Clay more expensive than Diamond in a Replicator/Scanner!?
    I intend to use clay to build with Red Brick, and need it it very large quantities. I was going to use the replicator to make some seeing how both Diamond and Clay are non-renewable, but that just got thrown out the window unless the values are changed soon.

One weird thing I found, was none of my scanned recipes seemed to have cost any EU. And there are some graphical glitches in builds 447-452 invovling reversed textures on the south/west/bottom sides of most blocks, but that's a bit off topic.

Nayru :love: is the greatest Singer in the known Universe!(Or Multiverse, if you believe in that theory!)
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY DRAGON LORD ALBLAKA! I wish she would come back to see how Experimental is doing. :P

• Looks like I'm probably going to be using configs more often when using IC2. Thanks anyway.

Nayru :love: is the greatest Singer in the known Universe!(Or Multiverse, if you believe in that theory!)
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY DRAGON LORD ALBLAKA! I wish she would come back to see how Experimental is doing. :P

• How do you put Biofuel(IC2) into the Semifluid generator(IC2)? I am using build 397.

You see, when you open new doors, there is a price to pay. Now imagine... tonight, you look under your bed, and, lo and behold, you find a monster! And you're immediately eaten. Now, if you hadn't looked for the monster, you wouldn't have found it and you'd still be happy in your beds, instead of being slowly digested in the stomach sack of the creature. But, with any luck, your sister or your brothers might have heard your screams, and your endeavor will serve as a valuable lesson to them.

• Official Post

Yes, currently it is useless. But with this (rather small) addon, your woes will leave: [Addon v2.0.367+?] (Minecraft 1.6.2/4) Transformer Converters Development Thread And suddenly the useless cells can be burned for energy :)

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Thanks. Nice to see that the mod is updated. I will download it. But can you put anything vanilla IC2 into the semifluidgen? Or is it useless?

Edit: Derp. I thought you ment the converters first :D .

You see, when you open new doors, there is a price to pay. Now imagine... tonight, you look under your bed, and, lo and behold, you find a monster! And you're immediately eaten. Now, if you hadn't looked for the monster, you wouldn't have found it and you'd still be happy in your beds, instead of being slowly digested in the stomach sack of the creature. But, with any luck, your sister or your brothers might have heard your screams, and your endeavor will serve as a valuable lesson to them.

Edited once, last by Fungi ().

• Official Post

But can you put anything vanilla IC2 into the semifluidgen? Or is it useless?

Don't think so, just Buildcraft oil and fuel. Unless they changed it.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Buildcraft fuel and oil works.

• Official Post

It never worked for me. Had to use Minetweaker to add it to Forestry's bio-generator.

I see this too much.

• Wow. That mod is nice. Thanks Chocohead. A plantball to you.

• I'm not 100% sure, but I think this fits here best:

I just began playing around with IC2 Experimental after some absence from MC; and got mixed feelings:

Machines look a lot nicer now with basic textures. Lead batteries / CESU also looks like a very interesting addition, and the new modular ore refining chain seems fun to use and automate. (albeit it being nothing new, Thermal Expansion's looks a lot like this, but that's fine)

But, however... in game i'm now at the point of making my first set of electric tools, and the recipes are just tedious. I don't know how anyone got the idea that making them more complicated was a good idea. Iron Plates and casings are cool, a good alternative to the double-smelting from before, but... coils? Power sources? Motors? Really? Why?

IMHO the more complicated recipes add nothing to the game. Even the circuits / batteries from before were kind of annoying, but these were just 3 crafting table recipes and were memorized quickly. Now even tin and copper needs to be hammered (click), cut into cables (click), or processed via metal former (wait).

The only challenge this adds to the game is slightly intransparent material requirements, looking more stuff up in recipe books and doing more clickery.
    Not my kind of fun, and I guess I'm not the only one who thinks so.

EDIT (P.S.) The flaws of the recipe chain become apparent when you compare it to railcraft's recipes: Railcraft also uses some special components (steel, rails, plates), but these have to be achieved first by building something. When you have them "unlocked" these become cheap basic components which are useful to produce and store in bulk, and then useful in many recipes. (refined iron / iron plates quality for that too). The IC components are specialized stuff and too expensive to mass produce and store until you are set up really well.

EDIT2: Okay, found the "random rants" thread. Shutting up now ^^

• By reading your post, I find arguments I can agree with, but...
    You know, in IC2, you begin by being a cave man that melts iron ore to iron ingots.
    Then, he has the idea of making a hammer, and produces plates.
    These plates are useful: he can make a box strong enough for the components inside not to be pushed away.
    The fact is that you end the game by using the "laws" of quantum mechanics to have an armor that can:
    -produce food when you need some (needing EUs)
    -produce air
    -protect you against any damage
    -make you jump at least a dozen blocks high
    -make you run faster than an ocelot

And, you know, making iridium is of course not a promenade. It is really hard to get to it, and therefore, you will need thousands of tiny components. I know it is long (I have myself not finished IC2 experimental), but you are not obliged to use only IC2 exp, you can also use BC, ComputerCraft, and plenty of other mods that add useful items for industry.

I'll take an example: to extract everything I can from an ore, here is the pattern I use:
    Chest ==> wooden tube (extracts items) or a vanilla hopper ==> macerator ==> hopper ==> ore washing plant (with BC pump to get it refilled) ==> wooden pipe ==> diamond pipe ==> (if the items are washed ores, otherwise, the diamond pipe will sort them in another direction) ==> thermal centrifuge ==> hopper ==> chest

The diamond pipe that sort tiny piles of dust (and stone dust) out, leads to another chests.
    The fact is that this pattern allows you to sort everything: you can separate every metal thanks to the diamond pipes. And, thanks to the automatic crafting tables: you can always return to normal dusts.

What I like in these patterns is the fact that everything is done automatically, but you can also automate a lot of industry sectors :
    -scrap production and scrap boxes (thanks to the automatic crafting table)
    -plates, cables... prodcution
    -everything else! A unsolvable problem is a problem seen from the wrong angle (I'm not sure about the translation of this quote).