[GT-Suggestions] I still look at this Thread when I got out of Ideas for new things, yes really I do that. Even though I don't edit this Post anymore.

• so, as far as i know, GT only ever had tocamac design fusion reactors. i know GT 6 is out and it doesn't even really have machines right now, but what about some kind of inertial fusion reactor when we get to that stage?
    would have 2 advantages and some different behaviors.

First advantage/disadvantage in certain designs: No Activation cost or anything like that, but instead uses like 50000k EU or something(don't know if that is balanced), and deuterium/tritium pellets to produce around 6000000k EU, with a short cooldown of like a second or so, and this really is a scale, not finished values. the reactor itself would be kinda small, but you'd need a ton of stuff to keep it usable, for example heat radiators, and gigantic power storage to be able to take the bursts in, and store the initial energy cost, a computer system to adjust burst rate based on power consumption, things like that. also, there would be a smaller(WAY smaller), but more expensive version that would produce less power, but also simply use less space, due to less waste heat, and less lasers required to heat the smaller panels to fusion. and should greg add antimatter, we totally need orbital collectors, and maybe a collector block for space stations if galacticraft is installed?

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

IC Related Quotes thread. If you ever need some good puns.

• Iok for that with only one condition : This fusion reactor won't be an infinite one like the usual one, with parts slowly breaking over time due to violent burst of heat.

It will also require constant maintenance and some RNG for occasionnal parts failing and causing accidents ( breaks some blocks ).
    This would ofc be lowered with a control main computer :D

It should also be named Prototype fusion reactor ;)

• Finally got around to have the time to write this (its probably gonna be long) As a generall background i could mention that i work as a PhD student in Energy technology specializing towards combustion and ash chemistry (hence the geekiness)

Before i get to the pyrolizer and gasifier i would like to go over the fuels first to give a suggestion on how we would make the energy content of the different fuels more realistic. The unit i will use is Mj/kg for solids, Mj/dm3 (liter) for liquids and Mj/m3 (cubic meter) for gases. its presented as : Suggested value (typical value). I will go over the fuels quickly with regards to energy density and bulk density
    Solids
    Coal - 30 Mj/kg (24-30) 600-950 kg/m3,
    Lignite - 10 Mj/kg (5-10) 650-850 kg/m3, Moisture content 40% (30-60%)
    Dry lignite - 20 Mj/kg (10-20) special, read below,
    Coke - 30 Mj/kg (28-30) 500 kg/m3,
    Fresh wood - 10 Mj/kg (6-10) 600-1300 kg/m3 moisture content 40% (40-60%)
    Dry wood - 20 Mj/kg (15-21) special, read below,
    Charcoal - 30 Mj/kg (24-30) 150-200 kg/m3,
    Liquids
    Pyrolysis oil/creosote - 20 Mj/dm3 (18-22) 1200 kg/m3,
    Gas
    Low energy syngas - 5 Mj/m3 (3-7) 1 kg/m3,
    Medium energy syngas - 10 Mj/m3 (7-14) 1 kg/m3,
    High energy syngas - 20 Mj/m3 (15 plus) 1 kg/m3

On moisture content: Both lignite and fresh wood contain a substantial amount of water which reduces the energy content a lot. You can burn them if you already have a hot furnace as you need a large buffer of heat to dry off the water before the wood actually starts to burn. This also makes it almost impossible to use it in a pyrolizer/gasifier as it simply wont produce enough heat. Preferably we should need some kind of industrial dryer to dry the fuel or alternatively leave the lignite/wood out to dry in the sun before it can be used. Since we wont be mining dry fuels the bulk density is of less importance, just remove the weight of the water from the bulk density of the wet wood/lignite and you should have the weight of the dry fuel left. Since ive assumed about 40% moisture content on both lignite and wood just remove 400 kg from its starting bulk density and you should have close to its new bulk density.

You might also notice that we have 3 different qualities of syngas. This is because depending on the fuel and how we gasify we will get substantially different energy content of the gas. Air gasification of biomass for instance produces a very low energy content syngas due to a substantial amount of N2 (from the air) and the high ratio of hydrogen to carbon monoxide so using oxygen will increase the energy content of the resulting gas quite alot (althought the total energy content is the same, it just takes less space). In generall the energy content of syngas from coal will be higher than the syngas from wood and lignite due to higher amount of hydrogen. Also due to the low energy content of the low energy syngas it cannot be used in a turbine but can only be used in a gas burner. Medium and high can be used in a turbine and high can be used in performance turbine.

Before we go on to the gasifier/pyrolyzer i would also like to suggest som vanilla nerfs. Charcoal should still be possible to make in a regular furnace, we could think of this process as a low tech charcoal pit which usually have a horribly bad efficiency. I would suggest that 8 chunks of wood becomes 1 chunk of charcoal or something similar. The thermal efficiency of the process should be about 25% and the mass l should decrease by 85-90% or so (you put in 100 kg of dry wood, you get 10-15 kg of charcoal out with an energy content of 25% of the original fuel)

Now on to the pyrolyzer. This process typically operates between 500- 1100 degrees C depending on what is produced. at 500 degrees it produces syngas, creosote and charcoal/coal. and at 1100 degres we produce coke and syngas (all the fluids evaporate). Its usually a batch process where the syngas produced from the process is burned in a seperate burner to heat the process. for 500 degrees the energy balance is usually 50% solid, 25 % gas and 25% liquid. for 1100 deggrees (coke production using coal or charcoal) it is about 75% solid and 25% gas The efficiency is about 80-90% so if we input 100 Mj of fuel we would get 50 Mj of solid fuel, 25 Mj of creosote and 25 Mj of syngas of which 15 Mj would have to be burned to heat the process (with 87% thermal efficiency 1/0,87= 1.15). or att 1100 it would be 75 Mj of solid coke and 25 Mj of high energy syngas. I think a good implimentation of this machine would be a multiblock structure with an external heater (liquid or gas burner). Higher tiers would be faster with the first tiers being very slow. Time should be a large restriction in this process. The machine uses no air or oxygen for the process but uses the oxygen in the fuel itself (wood is about 40-50% oxygen on a elemental basis) Here is a suggestion of possible recepies

500 degress
    dry wood/dry lignite into medium energy syngas, creosote and coal/charcoal something like 3 chunks of dry wood becomes 1 chunk of charcoal and x mb of creosote and y buckets of syngas.
    1100 degrees
    Charcoal/coal into high energy syngas and coke.

Now for the gasifier. The gasifier partially combusts the fuel into gaseous form using either air or oxygen. It should have a thermal efficiency of about 75% so if you input 100 Mj of fuel you would get 75 Mj of energy out as a gas. Depending on if you use air or oxygen and fuel you get either low, medium and high energy syngas. air gasification of wood/lignite would result in a low energy syngas and charcoal/coal and creosote would yield medium energy syngas. Notice that the total energy content of the syngas would be the same, however the volume would be half of the medium energy syngas. Now if we do the same thing with oxygen we dont dilute the syngas with nitrogen so the energy content is bumped one step. So oxygen gasification of lignite/wood gives medium energy syngas and high energy syngas. The amount of oxygen needed to gasify 1 kg of fuel would be about 0.2-0.4 cubic meters. you usually need about 1 cubic meter of oxygen to completly combust 1 kg of wood for instance and with gasification you would give the process between 20% and 40% of this to gasify it.
    The gasifier would preferably be a large tall multiblock structure with higher tiers requiring less oxygen to gasify the fuel( tier 1: 0,4 cubic meter/kg, tier 2: 0,35 cubic meter/kg, tier 3: 0,3 etcetc) with each tier also being a bit faster.

I would also like to point something out about ashes. Ashes should not contain carbon unless you have a really crappy combustion process where you fail to fully combust the fuel. In a decent combustion application the remaining ashes would be the inorganic elements in the fuel that wont burn or evaporate at the combustion temperature. The major ash forming elements during combustion is usually K, Na, Ca, Mg, P, S, Cl, Si Fe, Al and trace amounts of various metals in various concentration depending on fuel type. Also the amount of ashes vary greatly between fuels. In heart wood the ash content would be less than 1% by weight while coal can have substantial amounts of ashes in the order of 3-20% with the major part usually being Si. So ashes should contain a variation of the major ash forming elements rather than carbon.

Greg: If you consider implementing all or parts of this suggestion i wouldn't mind giving you a hand in energy/mass balance calculations and making flowcharts for the process

Sorry for the overly long post :P

TLDR:
    Suggestions for how to have a more realistic energy content of solid fuels in minecraft based on actuall bulk densities and energy density
    a few new fuels including 3 types of syngas, creosote and drying of wood and lignite
    Nerfs to vanilla so that 8 wood gives 1 charcoal (or something similar)
    A indirectly heated multiblock pyrolyzer that can either make biomass and lignite into charcoal/coal, creosote and syngas and charcoal and coal into coke and syngas with realistic efficiency and energy balance
    A multiblock gasifier that turns solid or liquid fuels into syngas using either air or oxygen to partially combust the fuel with realistic efficiency
    Rant about how ashes should contain trace elements rather than carbon

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

Edited once, last by Blackpalt ().

• S

Here's a list of materials that should be able to be macerated

Limestone; calcite (literally is the same thing) small amounts of lapis or straight calcium as byproduct

Rhyolite; around 70% sio2 (quartz, or usual stone) with smaller amounts of biotite as byproduct

Andesite; andesine (Ca, Na)(Al, Si)4O8, where Ca/(Ca + Na) (% Anorthite) is between 30%-50%,
    byproducts being olivine and biotite

Gabbro; 1/2 plagioclase half pyroxene with olivine

Komatite; sio2 4/5, and Kio2 and mgo is 20%

Dacite; si02 60% plagioclase with amphibole (hornblende), biotite, pyroxene (augite), quartz, and glass; phenocrysts
    undefined
    Soapstone, quartzite, chalk,
    undefined
    Gneiss;granite or diorite

eclogite;basalt or gabbro;with almandine-pyrope, Sapphire and corundum (ruby, sapphire)

schist; muscovite,chlorite, talc, sericite, biotite, and graphite; feldspar and quartz (maybe theres a difference in composition due to color)

migmatite; granite and gneiss

shale;quartz and calcite. with clay (major)

Siltstone; clay

Greywacke is a type of sandstone

chert; fine grained

you know i'm on my way when the entire landscape is quarried out of existence, it shall strike fear of your petty existence!

• Chemical Elements

(also Fluorite it's a compound but, it's missing)
    I've notiched that the
    Lan­thanides as a whole are missing as are Hafnium, Rhenium, Thallium, Tellurium, scandium, Germanium thru Bromine, and lastly zirconium thru Rhodium (i know technetium isn't found in nature) anyways since GT is all Science based it seems that there's a gap here and stuffs so that's essentially it.

Essentially these and others would be byproducts of ores that currently exist for the most part.
    you know i'm on my way when the entire landscape is quarried out of existence, it shall strike fear of your petty existence!

• Would be interesting if the contents of an Egg could be removed from the shell, stored as liquid, and processed elsewhere into eatable food items. Basically the eggs would be "shelled" in a shelling machine, which yields a specific amount of blended egg paste into the internal tank. Egg paste could be piped out and stored (like any other fluid), or sent into a liquid cooking machine capable of turning the egg paste into solid eatable food items (scrambled eggs). Cheese could also be mixed in to increase the volume while using slightly less egg paste, either via a mixture of egg paste and cheese to be fed into the cooking machine (to make scrambled cheese eggs), or the cheese could be added in solid form into the egg paste via an item slot for additives in the cooking machine.
    A process of mixing exotic materials (ender pearl dust) into the egg paste via an additives slot in the cooking machine could be used to cause special effects when the eatable scrambled egg item is consumed.

It would probably not be a good idea to process the egg paste into solid scrambled egg via the crucible, because solid scrambled egg is not a liquid material, and a mostly useless item output slot would have to be added. Pouring egg paste into the crucible (when it is warm enough to cook egg paste) should result in the solidified egg material building up on the inside of the crucible, where it would then have to be scraped out with a scraping tool, in order for the crucible to be useable again. If care is not taken to remove the cooked egg material and the crucible is hot enough to make fire, it would dry out the cooked egg material into a non-edible form, oxidize/charcoal itself and (eventually) catch fire, setting ablaze any nearby flammable blocks.

The liquid cooking machine would have to be advanced enough to actively mix the material as it cooks, in order to promote even cooking and prevent adherence to the inside of the cooking chamber (still-cooking -> crispification -> charcoalization -> fire)

• Circuit Board Production Line,this includes all the machines and tools related to this,and change the machine that using circuit board instead of circuits to craft
    I realized this is a must have thing that consider a reality of a machine that made up of Circuit boards not the circuits only

GregTech SHALL rule the world !

• It would probably not be a good idea to process the egg paste into solid scrambled egg via the crucible,

Same probably goes with sugar -> caramel,
    currently (6.00.58) only sugar scraps come from sugar in a crucible.
    For someone's information, scraps Creative tab is completely empty,
    and it would probably be better if the machine pages came before the meta-item pages.

• it's not a prototype. it's a different type of reactor. if you need a lot of energy from time to time, but not a consistent stream, the design I proposed is better. if you want a consistent flow of energy, take a tocamac. say, for running your machines, you could use a (small) inertial reactor - or a bigger one if we get really high end machines that actually use a lot of power, and maybe for running your magnificent monster of a base, automated processing, etc, you use a tocamac design. at the same time, fusion reactors should be so expensive that you really want them to just cut it (assuming they are going to be modular, which I think they will be). also, it would be cool (and make more sense) that, instead of weird energy crystal thingies, we have nuclear fission/fusion batteries, plus a very good (but not good enough to operate your quantum suit and tools off it) battery for a a kind of laser initiated fusion reactor in battery format. this would also allow for a kind of modular system for batteries, as you'd need cooling, a energy storage/fission battery to provide energy to start up your fusion one, etc.

Native language german, please point out mistakes to me. forget it, my english is better than that of a good deal of people on the forums anyway.

• I suggest adding a method to void liquids. I am playing infitech 2, and make tons of extra oxygen I don't need while making deuterium & Tritium for the fusion reactor. I have filled muliple bedrockium drums of oxygen and the only method I can find to empty them is 40 mb/t emerald extraction pipes from BC into void pipes (10 mb/t) from BC.

Add a Liquid Voidinator machine!! :D

• I suggest adding a method to void liquids. I am playing infitech 2, and make tons of extra oxygen I don't need while making deuterium & Tritium for the fusion reactor. I have filled muliple bedrockium drums of oxygen and the only method I can find to empty them is 40 mb/t emerald extraction pipes from BC into void pipes (10 mb/t) from BC.

Add a Liquid Voidinator machine!! :D

InfiTech 2 includes Applied Energistics 2, right? You can pipe fluids to a Matter Condenser (or is that disabled in the modpack?). Also, I imagine suggestions in this thread would be for GregTech 6, while your mention of the fusion reactor implies you're using the fork known as GregTech 5 Unofficial, maintained here by Blood Asp.

• InfiTech 2 includes Applied Energistics 2, right? You can pipe fluids to a Matter Condenser (or is that disabled in the modpack?). Also, I imagine suggestions in this thread would be for GregTech 6, while your mention of the fusion reactor implies you're using the fork known as GregTech 5 Unofficial, maintained here by Blood Asp.

I was not aware that the fusion reactor was in a separate fork, and I also did not know that the matter condenser could accept fluids, so I appreciate that. I suppose if it is intended that the matter condenser from AE should be used in GT packs for voiding liquids then there is no need for the liquid voidinator. But it will live on, in my hopes and dreams.

• How about a laser to transform large quantities of electricity into heat and "transport" them? It could also be used to power high-end machine, for example in material processing, uranium enrichment or to start up a fusion reactor?

• How about a laser to transform large quantities of electricity into heat and "transport" them? It could also be used to power high-end machine, for example in material processing, uranium enrichment or to start up a fusion reactor?

well, the laser initiated fusion reactor would obviously use lasers to initiate the fusion, while tocamac reactors use microwaves I think. also, the laser would lose power in the atmosphere, especially when it is really high powered. how about a vacuum tube you run a laser through, though, for lossless heat transport?

• I suggest bloomery :

The Bloomery is a structure used to perform the first step of the refining process of various iron ore in wrought iron

wrought iron: a steel with little carbon content

Bellows are used with Blast Furnace so that they will reach hotter temperatures and heat up at twice the speed in exchange for consuming fuel twice as fast

To activate the bellows, simply right click while targeting anywhere on the bellows. The block will animate and make a blowing sound while active. As long as the player is holding down right-click, the bellows will keep pumping.

for the most realistic steel industry

• Mcuriosity this is the out of date thread go to this thread instead

Color Codes and Format Codes for the rules:

Red Meaning Don't Read that.

Green Meaning must Read that.

Blue Meaning everytime someone swears (like extensive bad language) on purpose it will be changed into a not a swearing text. Since I cannot delete other peoples text unless I am a admin or something that allows to get rid of the extensive bad language post. I absolutely hated swearing or worse extensive bad language.

Yellow Meaning That is incorrect.

Purple Meaning Spelling Correction

• I guess it is not out of date... :huh:

Color Codes and Format Codes for the rules:

Red Meaning Don't Read that.

Green Meaning must Read that.

Blue Meaning everytime someone swears (like extensive bad language) on purpose it will be changed into a not a swearing text. Since I cannot delete other peoples text unless I am a admin or something that allows to get rid of the extensive bad language post. I absolutely hated swearing or worse extensive bad language.

Yellow Meaning That is incorrect.

Purple Meaning Spelling Correction